Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Nissan just came out with the IDS concept at this year's Tokyo Motor Show and it could be a preview of what their future Leaf will contain. The Original Leaf has been out for a while and it may be time for a overhaul because even the new battery pack isn't enough to make it hit the 200 mile range.

The new car will have a 60 kWh battery that is estimated to last 500 kilometers on one charge. This is all due to the new cathode developed by the Department of Energy’s Argonne National Laboratory. Making it possible to more than double the battery power and reduce the charging time.

There's no word yet on when exactly this new Leaf will be in production but autoblog.com suggests that buyers could be seeing them in 2017 as a 2018 model.

Will you be getting the Bolt or wait for the new Leaf for comparison?

·
Registered
428 Posts
I am not going to rush anything. If they are coming out in a short window then I will wait to see both.

I have to say that this concept is not entirely representative of what the Leaf will be like. The IDS concept is looking pretty far into the future, and the concept itself doesn't have any of those new batteries in it. Mostly it shows off autonomous driving features that are under development, not an increased range.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is a concept car created to show us what we could see a decade later so no, it's not going to represent what the next gen LEAF will look like.
Though one could hope for a similar profile.

·
Registered
428 Posts
It is a concept car created to show us what we could see a decade later so no, it's not going to represent what the next gen LEAF will look like.
Though one could hope for a similar profile.
The next-generation Leaf will probably see a few aspects from the IDS though. After all the next-generation Leaf is part of the road that is progressing towards the IDS sometime in our future, but the changes will be incremental.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Think the door design will make it onto the new LEAF? Tesla's model X has cool doors for an electric car so why shouldn't the other electric cars follow with their own special doors?

·
Registered
428 Posts
The doors will not be on the next Leaf. That is for sure. Those doors aren't never going to be seen though. I believe that the suicide doors are meant for cars as the become more of a mobile living room than a car. Seats will not always be facing forward in the same direction . They will spin to face each other as though you are sitting around a table. I think that the suicide doors will make sense when autonomous cars reach that point.

·
Registered
639 Posts
The doors will not be on the next Leaf. That is for sure. Those doors aren't never going to be seen though. I believe that the suicide doors are meant for cars as the become more of a mobile living room than a car. Seats will not always be facing forward in the same direction . They will spin to face each other as though you are sitting around a table. I think that the suicide doors will make sense when autonomous cars reach that point.
I agree with that when it comes to an autonomous vehicle.

Only reason I can see seats that turn around make any sense is if it's a vehicle that also serves as a camper.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I agree with that when it comes to an autonomous vehicle.

Only reason I can see seats that turn around make any sense is if it's a vehicle that also serves as a camper.
If the car is autonomous, you don't have to sit facing forward to watch where you are going. You can sit facing your fellow passengers as if you are sitting around a coffee table.

Think of how seating is set up on trains.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Yeah that's true.

Not sure if they're will be limitations on when you can do that but one thing for sure is in stop and go traffic it will be a must.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I'd like to think these seats will be out when I'm in my retirement years along with autonomous driving. I'm only 25 so Chevy has 40 years to get it right.
Those suicide doors with swiveling seats will make getting in and out of a car easier.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I'd like to think these seats will be out when I'm in my retirement years along with autonomous driving. I'm only 25 so Chevy has 40 years to get it right.
Those suicide doors with swiveling seats will make getting in and out of a car easier.
You'd be surprised at how fast things move in the industry, which makes for a good reason to follow developments closely since it helps to get a sense of how fast things are moving at.

·
Registered
428 Posts
When the Millennials retire they will likely be enjoying vehicles like this. Being driven around by the car itself. It actually is going to make transportation much more accessible in the future. Seniors can remain independent easier as they age.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Well before they retire (if they ever do) they'll be able to enjoy this tech, if you look at the traction the tech is gaining, it's all moving fast.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Well before they retire (if they ever do) they'll be able to enjoy this tech, if you look at the traction the tech is gaining, it's all moving fast.
It is moving fast but I'm thinking that it will take a while before its completely commonplace and the technology is so good that it isn't even novel. Eventually it will be like a hobby to drive, but I thik that level is still a few decades away.

·
Registered
639 Posts
It is moving fast but I'm thinking that it will take a while before its completely commonplace and the technology is so good that it isn't even novel. Eventually it will be like a hobby to drive, but I thik that level is still a few decades away.
That's far ahead, it doesn't need to be that far ahead for a portion of them to experience the tech, it is going to have that trickle down process

·
Registered
428 Posts
I think that it will be partly a trickle down but the other part will be generations growing up and not learning to drive in the first place.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts