Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've made the decision to buy a bolt, there is a really good deal on a brand new one out of state (delaware). With the rebate it would be about the same price as a used one. Does the rebate apply if you purchase a car out of state? It would be registered in New Jersey.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Pretty sure the rebate applies in the State in which you live, so watch out for DE rebates you won't be able to claim. I've even seen some dealers still showing the Federal Tax credit ($1875) which ended in March (IIRC)!

Right now, I would define a "good deal" on a Bolt LT to be around $26,000 (with DCFC and Comfort/Convenience I ... and maybe II if you're lucky). There are lower prices advertised out there for sure, but they typically include low-ball trade-in numbers. So you might see $23,500 advertised, but it's really ~$26,000.

Email the dealer asking for verification of rebate. You don't have to say who you are, just that you're a NJ resident. If the website doesn't list an email address, call the receptionist and ask for a sales person's email address. I usually ask for the "newest salesperson" to give them the sale.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, this dealer is selling an LT with the DC fast charging option for just under $26k. That is without any federal or state incentives.

I live in NJ, so if the rebate was applicable it'd be a no brainier to buy new, plus I could use the extra range.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Thanks for the reply, this dealer is selling an LT with the DC fast charging option for just under $26k. That is without any federal or state incentives.

I live in NJ, so if the rebate was applicable it'd be a no brainier to buy new, plus I could use the extra range.
I actually just applied for the NJ rebate for the 2020 I bought last month.

The car MUST be purchased in NJ, sorry. You can try to find a similar Bolt in-state near Delaware and ask that dealer to match the price.

I wanted a rare combo of a fully-loaded cayenne orange metallic premier with dark interior, and I was afraid that I was going to have to do a factory order, but my local NJ dealer found the car I wanted at a dealership in Maryland. He did a dealer trade, so the paperwork that I submitted to NJ comes from an NJ dealer but if you look closely, the lien holder is a company in MD. We'll see if the dept. issuing the rebate notices or even cares. Even so, I think I'm still within the rules of the rebate.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I actually just applied for the NJ rebate for the 2020 I bought last month.

The car MUST be purchased in NJ, sorry. You can try to find a similar Bolt in-state near Delaware and ask that dealer to match the price.

I wanted a rare combo of a fully-loaded cayenne orange metallic premier with dark interior, and I was afraid that I was going to have to do a factory order, but my local NJ dealer found the car I wanted at a dealership in Maryland. He did a dealer trade, so the paperwork that I submitted to NJ comes from an NJ dealer but if you look closely, the lien holder is a company in MD. We'll see if the dept. issuing the rebate notices or even cares. Even so, I think I'm still within the rules of the rebate.
That's probably what I'm going to end up doing. I spoke to a couple of dealers that said they could get a car outside of their inventory so fingers crossed.

Also, how did sales tax work? We get it waived in NJ right?

·
Registered
339 Posts
That's probably what I'm going to end up doing. I spoke to a couple of dealers that said they could get a car outside of their inventory so fingers crossed.

Also, how did sales tax work? We get it waived in NJ right?
Your NJ dealer could likely get the car, but they would probably choose their own sale price. You'd have to discuss pricing with them up front before they get the vehicle.

On sales tax, that's correct. No sales tax on the car, but there's some small nominal fee of a "tire tax" that comes to $7.50 if I recall correctly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts