Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched everywhere and I've tried everything that I can think of but I cannot get audio (songs/directions) to come through Android Auto. The display works and calls come through the car speakers but music plays with no sound coming from the phone or the car. None of the waze/map directions or alerts come through either.

If I close Android Auto, though, everything comes through fine on bluetooth. Everything also works fine on my wife's iphone.

I have a HTC m8 and I've tried uninstalling, turning up the volume, changing USB settings to charge only/midi/file transfer, disabling USB audio routing, different cables, and disabling "use bluetooth" under Android Auto. The worst part is that I can't even tell if it's my phone or the Bolt. Has anyone gone through this or was this fixed with the newest firmware (I'm still on 14.1)?

·
Registered
336 Posts
I just had the infotainment update installed yesterday to 14.4.2, and while the Android Auto display was now full screen, the Spotify would not play through the AA. The on-screen 'play' button would not respond. As with you, Bluetooth audio was working fine, just not with the AA.

What I ended up doing to get it all working again was to first delete my phone from the console and reconnect it - still no audio. Then I uninstalled and reinstalled Android Auto - still no audio. Then I uninstalled and reinstalled Spotify - audio returned.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Then I uninstalled and reinstalled Spotify - audio returned.
I got excited for a bit since I never thought to reinstall the actual music apps. So I reinstalled Pandora and IHeart but it still doesn't work. I'm leaning towards my phone/rom now since it sounds like I may be the only one. Thanks though.

I also forgot to mention that the other symptom was that sometimes my music player skips in 5+ second increments. I can't hear it but I can see the time stamp skip forward.

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
I've searched everywhere and I've tried everything that I can think of but I cannot get audio (songs/directions) to come through Android Auto.
The car remembers separate volume settings for different audio inputs. But you can only adjust the volume for a particular input when that input is actually playing.

So it's possible that the AA input volume is just turned down too far. If that's the case, you need to get AA to say something and turn the volume up as it's speaking.

You could, for example, say "Hey Google - define antidisestablishmentarianism". While Google is chewing on that, turn up the volume knob to see if you can hear anything.

·
Registered
336 Posts
At least in my case, the audio controls do not respond within AA, although I can scroll through music selections. The 'Play' icon stays as the 'Play' icon, and doesn't respond to touch, while it is all fine using Bluetooth. Today I had to restart my Note8 phone in order to get Spotify to respond within AA. This problem never happened before the 14.4.2 update.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
+1 to separate volume setting for AA ques. I sometimes forget I lowered it and forget to increase again later.

Also, I have had an issue where my audio is completely gone. Turns out it was AA on my phone and a simple reset of my phone fixed it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
The car remembers separate volume settings for different audio inputs. But you can only adjust the volume for a particular input when that input is actually playing.

So it's possible that the AA input volume is just turned down too far. If that's the case, you need to get AA to say something and turn the volume up as it's speaking.

You could, for example, say "Hey Google - define antidisestablishmentarianism". While Google is chewing on that, turn up the volume knob to see if you can hear anything.
I don't think this is accurate. The auto volume adjust is for when the car detects faster speed. It is adjusting for road noise. While I would LOVE to see a source adjust, this is not a feature that they have. They very much need it though because there is a huge discrepancy between AA levels and radio levels.

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
I don't think this is accurate. The auto volume adjust is for when the car detects faster speed. It is adjusting for road noise. While I would LOVE to see a source adjust, this is not a feature that they have. They very much need it though because there is a huge discrepancy between AA levels and radio levels.
Have you actually tried adjusting the volume level WHILE Android Auto is speaking? Because I've seen posts by others who claim that that's how it works. The trick is to get Android Auto to say something, hence my "Hey Google - define...." suggestion.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It made sense to me and I tried your "hey google" idea. Still not working though :(

I know the phone's volume buttons control different things depending on what's open/what's connected. The weird thing I noticed is that when I have AA open and BT connected, my volume button doesn't increase volume for bluetooth (no bluetooth icon). It just increases it for the phone's media (music note icon). I assume for other people the volume shows up with the bluetooth icon? I even tried an aux cable and nothing came out. :(

Next thing I'll try is different roms and android versions.

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
OK, I just tried this with Android Auto and it works as others have reported: if you adjust the volume while AA is speaking then it adjusts just the AA volume and doesn't affect the radio volume. And if you adjust the volume while the radio is playing then it adjusts the radio volume and doesn't change the AA volume.

The weird thing I noticed is that when I have AA open and BT connected, my volume button doesn't increase volume for bluetooth (no bluetooth icon). It just increases it for the phone's media (music note icon). I assume for other people the volume shows up with the bluetooth icon?
Are you talking about the icons along the top of the display where the time, number of bars of cellular signal, etc. are displayed? When I plug my Samsung Galaxy S7 into the USB port and Android Auto starts up, the Bluetooth icon disappears. It looks to me like Bluetooth isn't used between the car and the phone when there's a USB connection. I'm thinking that the main reason you need to pair the phone with Bluetooth in order to get AA to work is that it allows the phone to unlock itself via the "Unlock automatically when recognized Bluetooth devices are present" capability.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hmm. My BT stays on with AA. I assumed that the audio went through BT and not USB. If I switch my USB configuration, though, to media/file transfer the car will just start playing random audio clips from my phone (usually map files like "turn right").

And I was referring to the volume control popup that shows up when you hit the volume buttons on the phone. So when BT is connected, the popup usually has a little BT logo. The weird thing was that even though my phone would says it was connected via BT, there wouldn't be a BT logo in the audio popup if AA was running.

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Hmm. My BT stays on with AA. I assumed that the audio went through BT and not USB. If I switch my USB configuration, though, to media/file transfer the car will just start playing random audio clips from my phone (usually map files like "turn right").

And I was referring to the volume control popup that shows up when you hit the volume buttons on the phone. So when BT is connected, the popup usually has a little BT logo.
I never touch my phone when it's connected via AA. It's down there in that little recharging pocket and it's basically impossible to access the buttons. I change the volume by using the Bolt's volume control knob - you have to do this while AA is actually speaking something to change the AA volume, otherwise you'll be changing the radio volume (or the volume of whatever source is selected).

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I didn't realize you guys were talking about the Bolt's volume knob. I'll have to give that a try - though I've messed with so many settings that AA won't even load anymore :(

·
Registered
724 Posts
AA has been acting odd for me the last few days. not connecting, no OK Google, Microphone was put on mute but I have no ideas how that happened and there is no way to fit it.
I had to reboot my phone and bolt

1 - 14 of 14 Posts