Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've had to stop looking at our "report card" because it's too depressing. Hey, Bolt, we live on a hilltop in a cold climate. Neither of those is going to change, so we're never going to get high marks in "Climate" or "Terrain" so those two will always skew the grading system.

The good news is that's an annoyance we can live with.

jack vines

·
Registered
324 Posts
Yeah, of the 4 items measured, I have no control over the outside temp, nor over terrain, and the climate setting only offers negative numbers (the positives are greyed out :-().

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I remember seeing this screen once when I first went through the Bolt’s energy screens.

Once was enough.

All I really need to know is state of charge, range, and miles per kilowatt, which I can find by simply glancing at the driver’s instrument cluster.

Reactions: gern_blanston

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Got me to thinking why GM thought that "report card" would be of value, as most of the factors are beyond our control.

and the climate setting only offers negative numbers (the positives are greyed out :-().
For true. Yeah, I read of those of you who live in cold climates but don't use the heater and drive under a lap robe, with mittens, ear muffs and heated booties, good on yer, but it ain't happening for us.

The report card to me is inversely proportional to the fun I have, so I love a failing grade.
Again, for true. I drive it like I stole it and "technique" doesn't seem to pull down the scores as much as does "terrain" and "climate control".

jack vines

·
Registered
7,106 Posts
Got me to thinking why GM thought that "report card" would be of value, as most of the factors are beyond our control.
I think it's there to help answer the inevitable question from newbies: "how come my range has gone down so much now that winter has come?????".

·
Registered
501 Posts
I think it's there to help answer the inevitable question from newbies: "how come my range has gone down so much now that winter has come?????".
I think you hit the nail on the head, Mr. Nelson.
It's like a disclaimer not labeled as a disclaimer.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
The most annoying is the climate... if you are a self abusing hypermiling freak you get all the way up to zero!!!

Here is how it should have worked is that for every deg colder than ambient it deducts .5 from the score, starting from the +5 max and for every 1 deg warmer than ambient it deducts .1 from the score once again starting at the +5 max... in this situation if you have climate control off you get the max score, and if you have the AC on at 20F below ambient (AC at 70 when ambient temp is 90F) you get the -5 score. In cold areas having the heater setting 50F warmer than ambient (Heat set at 70F when ambient temp is 20F) would give you the -5 points.

Later,

Keith

·
Registered
157 Posts
I like seeing the energy distribution. I added the energy details to my home screen. More as a curiosity though as I'm certainly not easy on the pedal or depriving myself of a comfortable cabin, but it is interesting to see the impact on my efficiency.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
FWIW, now that warmer weather is arriving the GOM is up 100 miles. Dead of winter hilltop charge was usually 140 mile range estimate. Now, it's up to 240.

Our climate settings, terrain and temperature are now up to zero and technique is 2.8, so we're barely passing, still not up to a gentleman's C grade.

jack vines

·
Registered
635 Posts
The report card is stupid and worthless. It's only useful to show you where you might be able to improve IF you can improve and try to improve. Otherwise, it is what it is.

Ignore it and enjoy your car.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.