Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Read Only
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my Bolt 3 weeks ago and could never get hands free calling to work.
Visited dealer today and learned that radios with certain codes don't support this feature.
How can Chevy sell a $40000 car in 2017 without this necessary feature?
From the wording of the technical bulletin I saw, the implication is that some radios do support hands free.
Chevy should replace the defective radio for me.
Have others had this issue?

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I believe there is a communication issue here. To my knowledge, all Bolts support Bluetooth hands free calling on a supported phone. What phone do you have? is it linked to the Bolt using Bluetooth and displaying as "connected" in the main display? What happens when you push AND HOLD the mic button on the steering wheel?

·
Registered
692 Posts
Check phone and cable

I had a bit of trouble with my Android phone (Samsung) when I bought the car. Two very important things to look at.
1.) Can your phone software handle it? It takes a certain version of Android and higher to be compatible. I had to upgrade my phone to take care of the problem. 2). The little connection cable between phone and car has to be "High Quality". I tried several cheap, generic type connections that wouldn't work. Had to spring for a more expensive cable, and that did the trick. The manual has this info.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have been using an Apple iPhone 7 and after pushing the button on the steering wheel, it does everything CarPlay is supposed to. No issues.
Bluetooth operation works for Radio and Phone when not using USB.
With USB-Lighting connector, all Carplay apps plus Radio and Phone work fine.

I currently have a Samsung Galaxy S9 and Android Auto works as advertised. No issues.
Via USB-C connection, I have the Android Auto app set to listen to "OK Google", and it responds just as Siri would. No steering wheel button needed, but it also works if I wish.
I use Google Maps, Music Player, etc. I have not had a chance to test all apps, but so far everything in Android Auto works the same as CarPlay, only better.
"Ok Google", "Play Music, Chris Rea". The music automatically connects to Google streaming music and it plays.
"Ok Google", "Play Podcast, Velonews". The latest podcast from Velonews starts playing. Very cool.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Just got my 2018 Bolt a week ago. I just threw my old Samsung Galaxy in the cup holder. The Bolt recognized it, and I started making and receiving calls immediately. No cable. Thought that was the standard, till I read posts here.

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
The little connection cable between phone and car has to be "High Quality".
It has to be a data cable. A lot of consumer equipment, including phones, is sold with a USB cable that has wires for charging but not for carrying data. Unfortunately, there's no easy way to tell them apart.

I'm in the habit of cutting the connectors off charging-only cables and tossing them in the trash whenever I discover them. Life is too short to be repeatedly diagnosing problems with the same useless cables.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Just got my 2018 Bolt a week ago. I just threw my old Samsung Galaxy in the cup holder. The Bolt recognized it, and I started making and receiving calls immediately. No cable. Thought that was the standard, till I read posts here.
So the guy in the other Bolt (or any car complying with the 'standard') standing next to you at the traffic light can also make phone calls using your phone? I find this a bit hard to believe :eek:

·
Registered
397 Posts
I use Android Auto and it does handsfree calling and handsfree texting just fine.
Hi Sean, Which texting app are you using? I just tried google allo and it sent one fine but did not notify me of the answer.

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
Hi Sean, Which texting app are you using? I just tried google allo and it sent one fine but did not notify me of the answer.
I'm not using anything special over and above what Android Auto provides on its own. When you receive a text you get a "beep" and a notification bar across the top of the screen, and you touch the bar to have AA speak the message to you.

The downside is that if you don't do that within a few seconds then the bar disappears and once its gone I haven't found any way to access the message through AA.

·
Registered
5,451 Posts
I'm not using anything special over and above what Android Auto provides on its own. When you receive a text you get a "beep" and a notification bar across the top of the screen, and you touch the bar to have AA speak the message to you.

The downside is that if you don't do that within a few seconds then the bar disappears and once its gone I haven't found any way to access the message through AA.
That doesn't sound hands free.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.