Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I always drove my Volt in L. My new (to me) 2018 Bolt has N, D, and R: no L! It’s in the owner’s manual, does anyone else have one like this? Know what’s up? I can’t find anything online! Thanks!

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
I always drove my Volt in L. My new (to me) 2018 Bolt has N, D, and R: no L! It’s in the owner’s manual, does anyone else have one like this? Know what’s up? I can’t find anything online! Thanks!
Welcome to the forum. Your only hint in the manual is the D L on the picture of the shifter. Pull back on the shifter once for D and twice for L. Toggle back and forth between D and L by pulling back the shifter again and again.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Small side note (I didn't discover tthis for one or two weeks):
You don't need the side button to go between R/N/D/L - only to transition from P->anything else

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Am I the only person in the world who reads the manual when I buy a car?
I've read the owner's manual multiple times, and for the life of me can't actually find where it says how to shift to L. It reads like the holy hand grenade from Monty Python for shifting out of park and back. But how to shift from D to L? Not so much. I thought maybe it was just an oversight in the 2017 owner's manual, but just opened a 2020 manual and it reads the same.

I especially like this from the manual that implies that you can't just change from D to L while moving:
To shift out of D (Drive): 1. Bring the vehicle to a complete stop. 2. Shift to the desired gear.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I especially like this from the manual that implies that you can't just change from D to L while moving:

To shift out of D (Drive): 1. Bring the vehicle to a complete stop. 2. Shift to the desired gear.
I agree that the section is ripe to misinterpretation and it's the same in the Korean version. The description for the L gear is especially problematic as it sounds like it's used for driving uphill/downhill or under heavy traffic only and not for regular driving. It does then go to say that you can shift between L and D by pulling the stick once, but nowhere does it say you can do this while driving. I have seen people who are scared that something might break if they shift between L and D without stopping.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I agree that the section is ripe to misinterpretation and it's the same in the Korean version. The description for the L gear is especially problematic as it sounds like it's used for driving uphill/downhill or under heavy traffic only and not for regular driving. It does then go to say that you can shift between L and D by pulling the stick once, but nowhere does it say you can do this while driving. I have seen people who are scared that something might break if they shift between L and D without stopping.
Some of that sounds like lazy copypasta from their ICE manuals.

Sometimes the people in tech pubs at companies are lower-paid or contract employees who aren't nearly as familiar with the products as engineering.

The document goes back to engineering for review, but when you're reviewing a multi-hundred-page user manual, eventually your eyes gloss over and you miss something.

·
Registered
138 Posts
The salesman who took us for our very first Bolt test drive provided a excellent overview of the car's main features, including how to select and utilize the L mode. I never noticed that the Owners Manual was kinda unclear on that topic.

Chevy shoulda used some other symbol for the "one pedal driving mode". Using the symbol "L" seems to suggest (at least to me) that it is a "Low Range" as in a off-road vehicle, or perhaps it is a "Low gear" that should only be used at slow speeds or for "pulling" a really steep grade.

I don't know what symbol would be better. If they used the numeral "1" to indicate "1 Pedal Driving Mode" it would probably still be misinterpreted as meaning "1st Gear".

I like to think of it as a secret "Easter Egg" hidden in the operating system, the purpose of which is only revealed to the Truly Faithful.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Using the symbol "L" seems to suggest (at least to me) that it is a "Low Range" as in a off-road vehicle, or perhaps it is a "Low gear" that should only be used at slow speeds or for "pulling" a really steep grade.
When I asked my sales person what the L was for she told me that is exactly what it was for. After joining this forum I found out my sales person didn't know squat.

·
Registered
400 Posts
simple answer, they use "L" because it is already on the Cadillac gear shift that they are re-using in this vehicle. Functionally, it is fantastic - documentation or awareness by sales staff - definitely could be improved.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
The salesman who took us for our very first Bolt test drive provided a excellent overview of the car's main features, including how to select and utilize the L mode. I never noticed that the Owners Manual was kinda unclear on that topic.

Chevy shoulda used some other symbol for the "one pedal driving mode". Using the symbol "L" seems to suggest (at least to me) that it is a "Low Range" as in a off-road vehicle, or perhaps it is a "Low gear" that should only be used at slow speeds or for "pulling" a really steep grade.

I don't know what symbol would be better. If they used the numeral "1" to indicate "1 Pedal Driving Mode" it would probably still be misinterpreted as meaning "1st Gear".

I like to think of it as a secret "Easter Egg" hidden in the operating system, the purpose of which is only revealed to the Truly Faithful.
It should be "O" for "One Pedal Driving" or "Optional Regen Mode"

If they had used a different symbol like "O" instead of "L" it would have avoided the sloppy copy past error from ICE owners manuals into the Bolt owners manual described by Entropy512.

Keith

PS: As explained by max the reason we have "L" is because they just "shelf engineered" the gear lever by pulling the existing Cadillac shift lever off of the shelf.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I haven't gone back to look at the English version of the manual, but the Korean version rather clearly labels the L as "저단", or "Low Gear" and describes its use exactly as how it is used on steep downhills in ICEVs. So to a new user reading the manual it's not just a suggestion. I can't fathom the amount of confusion this has caused.

By the way, I've seen the aggressive regen mode labeled as "B" in some other EVs. I suppose it stands for "Battery".

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
A female friend of ours who bought a Bolt on our enthusiastic recommendation wasn't able to take in all the information given her upon delivery; as a result, she had been using D exclusively. She was missing out on the best single feature of the car. Once we introduced her to one-pedal, she now loves her Bolt 10X more.

jack vines

·
Registered
400 Posts
I haven't gone back to look at the English version of the manual, but the Korean version rather clearly labels the L as "저단", or "Low Gear" and describes its use exactly as how it is used on steep downhills in ICEVs. So to a new user reading the manual it's not just a suggestion. I can't fathom the amount of confusion this has caused.

By the way, I've seen the aggressive regen mode labeled as "B" in some other EVs. I suppose it stands for "Battery".
I'm fairly certain the "B" mode in other vehicles has stood for engine Breaking. Described on early Prius models as similar to a jake brake.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts