Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've had my Bolt and been driving it for about 2 weeks. I'd leased a Nissan Leaf for the last almost six years, so I have been comparing the two quite a bit as I drive.

I love how the Bolt drives, but I have to say my biggest complaint is the lack of a maps GPS feature like my 2012 Leaf had. At least, I am assuming there are no maps. If there are, I've yet to find them. I have Onstar activated for my free trial, but it seems like it just gives you verbal directions. Am I missing something?

I do have to say that the screen's menu features are about the most non-intuitive I've every seen. It is difficult to navigate and seems user-unfriendly.

I love the Bolt's range and power, but the Leaf's menu system was so simple (and much better). More comparisons and questions as I drive more...

·
Registered
979 Posts
I think Apple Carplay together with the standard apple maps app on one’s iphone, is outstanding. One needs a Siri-capable iphone which I think is a 5 6 or 7. The route shows up wonderfully on the 10” screen and the accompanying voice directions are perfect. I’ve got the British-female voice downloaded, my friends think its cool.

Previously I was a Google navigation fan. Before I got my Bolt I was planning to get some sort of perch for my iphone so I could see the map. Don’t need it.

This is my first EV so I’m not encountering any problem associated with transitioning from something else that was engrained into me, insofar as the screen menu features.

·
Registered
989 Posts
You need to run Android Auto (Google) or Apple Car Play for navigation. The onboard system has no built in navigation to become out dated. It's all done with phone apps now.
The old Leafs system is an antique and you need to move into the Bolts 21st century system :nerd:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll give it Carplay a try. I had my car shipped from California here to Ohio, so if that is something the dealer would tell buyers about, I missed that. I use Apple's Maps for navigation when I am overseas and it always works flawlessly, so that's encouraging. As for the Leaf's system being antique, well, it is nice to have a hard button to simply click on and boom, there are maps. Ha, ha...guess that's Old School.

Thanks for the info, guys!

·
Registered
181 Posts
You can just say something like, "Hey Siri take me home."

I had (still have) a 2011 Leaf. The Bolt is so much nicer as both a car and an electric vehicle, the two shouldn't even be mentioned in the same post.

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
I'll give it Carplay a try. I had my car shipped from California here to Ohio, so if that is something the dealer would tell buyers about, I missed that. I use Apple's Maps for navigation when I am overseas and it always works flawlessly, so that's encouraging. As for the Leaf's system being antique, well, it is nice to have a hard button to simply click on and boom, there are maps. Ha, ha...guess that's Old School.

Thanks for the info, guys!
It should be noted that the Carplay feature only works when plugged into the USB port. It doesn't work over Bluetooth.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'd agree about the comparison between the navigation system approach that Nissan chose vs the Chevrolet version. The OnStar is good but in some ways harder to use for the average driver who's is not in an emergency situation. The CarPlay is sophisticated but more complicated (read more distracting to use) for the driver. What to do???

·
Super Moderator
2,067 Posts
It should be noted that the Carplay feature only works when plugged into the USB port. It doesn't work over Bluetooth.
Android Auto is also hardwire only as well. Hoping someday there will be an update that allows wireless AA/Carplay.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I would like AirPlay, If it was connected via Bluetooth. I always forget to plug the phone in. I find it interesting that my car has a wireless charger, but can't use wireless connection for CarPlay

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
I would like AirPlay, If it was connected via Bluetooth. I always forget to plug the phone in. I find it interesting that my car has a wireless charger, but can't use wireless connection for CarPlay
I don't know why it has to be connected by USB. Maybe for data reliability, or security? Is it a GM thing, or Phone OS thing? I don't know.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Maybe because using the phone in the car (maps, music source, etc) sucks the battery dry pretty quickly, so it is better to force the user to plug the phone in and get USB charging.

Reactions: drdiesel1

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
I don't know why it has to be connected by USB. Maybe for data reliability, or security? Is it a GM thing, or Phone OS thing? I don't know.
It's a Bluetooth bandwidth issue. Not enough bandwidth is available over bluetooth to handle map data, phone connectivity, and music playback all at the same time. A more robust connection like WiFi is necessary.

The Bolt is not the only car to have this problem. Pretty much all cars with CarPlay currently require a wired connection. BMW is the only car manufacturer that has wireless Carplay support, and Alpine is the only aftermarket manufacturer to release a wireless Carplay capable receiver (the iLX-107).

·
Registered
4 Posts
I would like to buy a Bolt, but probably won't because of the crappy seats and the lack of a built-in GPS.

I've heard the argument time and time again that Apple CarPlay or Android Auto are really cool, but not for me. I hate the cables, the bother of finding a place to put the SmartPhone, trying to remember to take the phone with me when I drive the car, having to disconnect the phone and take it with me when I leave the car (theft concerns), phone company data charges for keeping the maps up to date, concerns about NO GPS if I am out or range of a cell tower, nobody to take responsibility if things do not work (is it the cable, the SmartPhone, the CarPlay/Auto software in the phone or in the Bolt, something else?), and many other things.

Yes, I would probably play CarPlay/Auto if available, but I do not want to be forced to use them for GPS.

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
I would like to buy a Bolt, but probably won't because of the crappy seats and the lack of a built-in GPS.

I've heard the argument time and time again that Apple CarPlay or Android Auto are really cool, but not for me. I hate the cables, the bother of finding a place to put the SmartPhone, trying to remember to take the phone with me when I drive the car, having to disconnect the phone and take it with me when I leave the car (theft concerns), phone company data charges for keeping the maps up to date, concerns about NO GPS if I am out or range of a cell tower, nobody to take responsibility if things do not work (is it the cable, the SmartPhone, the CarPlay/Auto software in the phone or in the Bolt, something else?), and many other things.

Yes, I would probably play CarPlay/Auto if available, but I do not want to be forced to use them for GPS.
If I were to pick a reason to not get the Bolt, the seats would be at the top of my list. Lack of a dedicated Navigation system would be way down on the list. Probably close to the bottom next to car color.

I agree, it sucks having to plug in every time. Or having to remember to grab the phone when leaving. Or figuring out a place to put the phone. Cable issues suck. But all of those are temporary learning curve issues.

Phone company data charges and lack of a cellular connection where you are mostly likely to drive are way more valid concerns. Sadly, I don't have a good solution to either of them. The iPhone does allow you to track the data usage of a particular app like Maps, so it should be easy enough to get a rough idea of how much data you can expect to use in a session. Pretty sure that data is cached and only periodically refreshed when necessary.

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts

Well, no doubt about it, there is no car in the world that is for everybody. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work. Just curious, have you actually sat in the seats yet? I hope you're not condemning them just based on forum threads you read.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well, no doubt about it, there is no car in the world that is for everybody. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work. Just curious, have you actually sat in the seats yet? I hope you're not condemning them just based on forum threads you read.
I have not sat in a Bolt yet - they are not yet available in my state. Yes, the forum posts on seat comfort are not encouraging. However, I find that the seats just look strange in the photos. The asymmetry in the cloth or leather pieces that make up the seats looks odd. The seat backs and cushions look way too thin. I'll check out the Bolt when it is available in my state, but the seats just do not look inviting. I would not mind being wrong.

Mary Barra said the the Bolt platform would be used for a number of other GM offerings, and I'm looking forward to seeing what they are. Maybe a slightly more upscale Buick version, with built-in GPS and conventional seating, would be more suitable for me. I'm getting to be an old guy and maybe I should buy my first Buick! :)

·
Registered
70 Posts
I was worried about the seat issue as well so I took and afternoon and went across state lines to test drive a bolt in Maryland. I turned out the they were fine for me and I'm taking the wife today to see how she likes the car. Hopefully a Bolt is in my future.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the all the comments here. I had forgotten about having to be near a cell tower!

Here's another retro problem I have. For music, I use my old iPhone 4 essentially as an ipod. So, I'll have to disconnect it and plug in the new iPhone to use CarPlay? Hmm. I'm going to have to chock this up to an area where the Leaf was superior (seats is another, more logical, easy-to-use button/screen hierarchy another). Don't get me wrong -- I like my Bolt. I just simply feel forcing someone to use their phone to have GPS is backwards engineering. You can call it forward thinking. Just seems a bit like spinning to me.

But as others said, not every car is a perfect fit for every person!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I see the reason they didn't include GPS nav. The built in apps go out of date immediately regarding map accuracy, and they tend to be inferior to the mobile apps like Waze and Apple and Google's offerings, which are constantly updated for accuracy and new features.

I had another car with an aftermarket Pioneer radio which had GPS. I found that the accuracy of predicting traffic, and even the best route, was inferior to every iPhone app I compared it with ... to the point where I never used it.

My only request, put Waze on CarPlay, which likely won't happen since it's a Google product and Apple seems to want to limit navigation to their native app.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts