Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dealer in S. Cal. says my Bolt LT just arrived and will be ready for pick-up on Monday, but it must be sold to someone in California or Oregon. GM apparently sent a letter to all dealers on Monday announcing the new policy according to my dealer. They are purportedly worried that other states have no dealers to service the car he said.

My plan was to ship the car to Colorado. If I take delivery in California, I pay much higher taxes than I have back home.

Has anyone heard of this? I was only one of 4 to get the Costco pricing for $1900/off the purchase price at this dealer. I cynically feel they might want to shake me loose to sell the car for more.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Me too

My dealer in S. Cal. says my Bolt LT just arrived and will be ready for pick-up on Monday, but it must be sold to someone in California or Oregon. GM apparently sent a letter to all dealers on Monday announcing the new policy according to my dealer. They are purportedly worried that other states have no dealers to service the car he said.

My plan was to ship the car to Colorado. If I take delivery in California, I pay much higher taxes than I have back home.

Has anyone heard of this? I was only one of 4 to get the Costco pricing for $1900/off the purchase price at this dealer. I cynically feel they might want to shake me loose to sell the car for more.
It happened to me too, just after they asked for my $1000 deposit. They lose CARB credits and maybe future allocations from what they told me and what I was told here. I'm not paying $4000 taxes in Calf and then $3000 in Ga so...I have another plan.

If you were to buy it in say Maryland, there is no tax, but you would have to register it there though just like in Calf.

$1900 off at Costco!!! I might wait until Ga orders them in July, especially if I could get that discount.

Decisions, decisions.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I replied on another post. I was told a long time ago about an anti competition law congress passed a long time ago. I can't find it as of yet but it lets dealers sell their products to anyone anywhere(in USA). I will keep trying to find or if someone know a lawyer please ask them. I am asking one here. Good luck.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The dealer said I could buy with an Oregon address and ship there to not pay California taxes over-and-above Colorado taxes. I know some have bought in California for out-of-state, but I guess that is over with the policy change.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
So... no more moon shining it seems. But, we are nearing the time when they'll be shipped out to the different states anyways so it's not that bad is it ?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So... no more moon shining it seems. But, we are nearing the time when they'll be shipped out to the different states anyways so it's not that bad is it ?
I think Colorado is scheduled for June. Probably have to pay MSRP while California is bargaining. My price is $1900 off from the Costco deal for a fully loaded Bolt.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Costco Auto Program

I think Colorado is scheduled for June. Probably have to pay MSRP while California is bargaining. My price is $1900 off from the Costco deal for a fully loaded Bolt.
Reeler, Do you think that I could go through the Costco car buyers program in Georgia or another state and order the Bolt in or even out of the state? How does the program work if you don't mind me asking?

I will gladly get a Costco membership, but I want to find out first if they will be able to do it for me. The closest Costco is just below Atlanta about 75 miles away from me, but I sure wouldn't mind saving $1900 for the price of a membership.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The dealership said they made a mistake with the Costco thing and 4 orders got through. They must have defaulted to participation only to kill it once they realized. I don't think there are any Chevy models that are supply constrained. I don't expect other dealers to honor the program for about a year when initial demand settles out.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wesloh Chevy in Carlsbad is now saying an Oregon or California drivers license is required to buy a Bolt. The Internet Manager, Curtis Cheely, just relayed that position to me. Guess I will get a refund of my deposit back.

If this is GM policy, smuggling has ended. I still suspect that they didn't want to honor the $1900 off Costco pricing.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just talked to the dealer in Oregon that sold me my first Bolt and they are still selling and haven't heard of a drivers license policy. No letter from GM that he was aware of.

·
Super Moderator
2,067 Posts
Talked to a dealer in California just today. He said they would put it in a truck and ship to my home in Minnesota.
Ask him to ask the general manager. I have a feeling low level sales reps might not know about the restriction.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
After first saying they were worried about me being able to service my Bolt in Colorado even though I can have one there in May, Weseloh finally admitted it would jeopardize VIN incentives. I am guess that is the CARB credits from the state. Below is a scrape of the email he is basis his position upon.

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts