Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not long after I leased my Bolt (2017 Premier with all the options), I went to turn it on one morning to go to work and saw two messages on the dash: Service Power Steering, and Service Stabilitrak. While backing out of the garage, I noticed that there was no power steering. I shut off the car, got out, walked away for a minute or two, and the problem was gone after restarting the car.

I experienced the problem two more times, intermittently, so I took it to the dealership. They couldn't reproduce the problem, as it was intermittent, so they updated some software and gave it back. Worked fine for about a month or so, then happened twice more.

I took it in again to the same dealership (from where I leased it), and of course they were more motivated to fix it this time (because of lemon laws, I think).

They had the car for about a week and a half, and said that they traced the problem to a faulty power steering control module, and had to replace the entire steering column (see image of service summary).

Interestingly, it was the same problem that was seen in the MotorTrend long term test car, but in that case the "fix" was to replace the shifter, so who knows:
http://www.motortrend.com/cars/chevrolet/bolt-ev/2017/2017-chevrolet-bolt-ev-update-3-dislike-button/
http://www.motortrend.com/cars/chevrolet/bolt-ev/2017/2017-chevrolet-bolt-ev-review-long-term-update-4/

It's been a few months now and I haven't seen the errors return, so hopefully I'm cured!

·
Registered
5,368 Posts
Interestingly, it was the same problem that was seen in the MotorTrend long term test car, but in that case the "fix" was to replace the shifter, so who knows:
It wasn't the shifter in their case either, but a separate problem.

"When we asked Chevy directly how replacing the shifter would fix the power steering, Chevy politely asked us to take the car back to the dealer. Although the shifter did need to be replaced due to the error code, it’s a separate issue from the power steering."

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/chevrolet/bolt-ev/2017/2017-chevrolet-bolt-ev-review-long-term-update-5/

"In the midst of all this testing, we were finally able to close the chapter on our phantom power steering issue. During a second unscheduled dealer visit, seven computer modules were inspected, and two—the power steering module and body control module—were reprogrammed with the latest software updates. Chevy is confident the car is cured now, though I should note the problem hasn’t surfaced in months."

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It wasn't the shifter in their case either, but a separate problem.

"When we asked Chevy directly how replacing the shifter would fix the power steering, Chevy politely asked us to take the car back to the dealer. Although the shifter did need to be replaced due to the error code, it’s a separate issue from the power steering."

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/chevrolet/bolt-ev/2017/2017-chevrolet-bolt-ev-review-long-term-update-5/

"In the midst of all this testing, we were finally able to close the chapter on our phantom power steering issue. During a second unscheduled dealer visit, seven computer modules were inspected, and two—the power steering module and body control module—were reprogrammed with the latest software updates. Chevy is confident the car is cured now, though I should note the problem hasn’t surfaced in months."
Thanks. Should've re-read the update before posting :)

Anyway, just thought I'd post this here in case anyone else sees the same issue.

·
Registered
5,368 Posts
Yes. Thanks for sharing your troubles with us. I sweat every time I read one of these posts, but better to be aware of the possibilities than live in ignorance. So far, we've only had one transient warning event. Hopefully that will act to inoculate us from getting anymore serious problems. :)

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
Curious about the work order stating that the battery was discharged. Is that the state they found it or something that they did?

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Curious about the work order stating that the battery was discharged. Is that the state they found it or something that they did?
I was puzzled by that as well. First of all, I'm not sure if they were talking about the high voltage battery or the 12V battery, but everything was fine when I dropped it off.

When the dealership had it the first time, I got an OnStar "low range" error on my phone, not sure if it's related to something they did or if they really found the battery discharged. I immediately refreshed the status on the app and everything appeared normal.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My 2018 Premier has had the same problem now for the 3rd time. First time the car would not start either. The car spent a week in the shop. Problem would not repeat for the dealer so car was returned to me. 2nd occurrence the car would not start at the dealer and they could not repair the vehicle without escalating to an engineer from GM actually flying to my dealer to solve the issue. This time they replaced the Body Control Module and gave it a clean bill of health. Now, two weeks later the same errors returned, Steering Assist reduced, StabiliTrak Disabled, and ABS disabled. Dealer reports need to contact same engineer who last saw the vehicle. GM has so far reimbursed one monthly payment for the vehicle in the shop for 23 days. No estimate yet when this repair attempt will be completed so I'm stuck driving a gas guzzling loaner. I think my Bolt is a lemon.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
I hesitate to state how reliable my Bolt Premier has been. I am at 12.5 months and 13247 miles with no shop visits, no days without my EV, and only $14 in service costs (tire rotation and sensor "re-learning". Guess I'll call myself lucky, but it is mostly the problems and not the successes that are reported here.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I hesitate to state how reliable my Bolt Premier has been. I am at 12.5 months and 13247 miles with no shop visits, no days without my EV, and only $14 in service costs (tire rotation and sensor "re-learning". Guess I'll call myself lucky, but it is mostly the problems and not the successes that are reported here.
Yes, after the dealer repaired this issue for me, I have had zero problems with the car.

Being a long-time GM customer, I expected a lot more issues. :D

·
Registered
135 Posts
I've got this problem too, and inadvertently started another thread on it I'm reposting it here and maybe I can get a moderator to delete it.

Bound to happen: After three Volts and two Bolts, the first problem appeared today. On the open highway with complete clear lane markings, I thought to give the lane keeping assist feature another try. I've never gotten it to work reliably on any of these Chevys, except our '19 Volt with ACC, and then pretty spotty. The '19 Bolt I was driving promptly drifted to the right into the rumble strip, and when I corrected, "Service Required" "Stabilitrak" appeared, the two messages in the photos
below:

View attachment 27506 View attachment 27507

After powering down and restarting (rebooting!), the problem went away except for the red Stabilitrak icon, only to reappear when lane leeping was reactivated.

Also got an OnStar email: "An issue with the Antilock Braking System in your 2019 Chevrolet Bolt EV has been detected. Please service your vehicle within 7 days." and two text messages showed up on my phone: Diagnostic Alert: Service the StabiliTrak stability component system in your 2019 Bolt within 7 days, and same message for Antilock Braking System.

It's a 60 mile trip one way to the nearest Bolt certified Chevy dealer, and if there's a solution not requiring the drive (probably two with a likely overnight stay for the car at the dealer), I'd sure like to hear about it!

·
Registered
503 Posts
I’ve seen false “low batt” warning on the MyChevrolet app when my 2017 Bolt has over 50% Charge.
You’ll be fine. 27K+ miles and 27 months of daily driving on mine with only temporary software glitches to speak of.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
You’ll be fine. 27K+ miles and 27 months of daily driving on mine with only temporary software glitches to speak of.
Now at 29 months and 18K miles. The ONLY hitch has been (recent) intermittent (false +) blind spot warning lights. The nearby Chevrolet dealer (newly {< 6 months} Bolt EV certified) is awaiting the repair "tape" to arrive from G.M.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Once, I saw an LKA unavailable message but it went away before I could ever figure out what it was I was really staring at. I have not ever seen it again so I don't think it was something I did. I'm at 12 months at 16,000 miles with no issues. Have had to reboot the infotainment, the reverse tracking lines are hit or miss for me but that's been that way since day 1. Love the car, even though mine rides the short bus and the comfort and convenience features are laughable. I hope GM is lurking here so they put in adaptive cruise control (I'll pay $1200 for it), put in dog mode (I'll pay $300), make it go faster, kill the speed limiter or raise it to 105 because I've run into the one it has now passing on the freeway, add a spare tire option, add GPS without me tethering my phone .....

·
Registered
135 Posts
Drove down to Grand Junction today to see if the mystery message and other problems could be diagnosed (see above), and on the way down, the cruise control worked only intermittently. Tech could find no codes or symptoms. My service writer suggested that I swing by a nearby Chevy dealer (none around here are B/Volt certified) and see if they'll read any codes. He thought that any that got thrown when I had the problem three weeks ago might have been overwritten.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts