Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
New to me - wonder if others encountered:

The screen says No remote detected. Press brake to restart.

Otherwise the car was fully functional. It would lock and unlock with the remote and by pressing the small buttons on the handles, and it would drive normally - with this weird message across the display.

We locked the car and left it for about an hour, then unlocked and started it. Haven't seen the message come up again since.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Outside interference with the FOB's frequency. Open the center console and
remove the plastic tray. Lay the FOB on the outlined area at the bottom of
the compartment and the car will function. It's not uncommon to have this
happen with all the radio/cell phone signals, ECT. being shot around today.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had this happen yesterday, but mine was a bit different. I was able to unlock the car with the FOB, but the car went nuts immediately afterwords, beeping incessantly and lights flashing, after which the car would not start and displayed a message saying no remote found. I do not believe that this was because of interference with the FOB's frequency because I was able to unlock the car, so there was no interference at that time, but the car immediately had a hissy fit. I wonder if this is related to the reports of the Bolt stopping for no reason while driving. I have had two other cars with FOBs and have never had a FOB frequency interference problem; when you are within 1 foot of the dashboard, it is difficult to see how there could be FOB interference. If there is a possibility of FOB interference while you are in the driver seat of the car that causes the remote to not be recognized by the car, that is a very serious problem, because it means that it could happen at any time while you are driving.

I think that the theory of FOB interference is not justified, and even if true is not acceptable because it poses a danger. The fact that the problem can be corrected by placing the FOB in the center console slot does not ameliorate the seriousness of the problem.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think that the theory of FOB interference is not justified, and even if true is not acceptable because it poses a danger. The fact that the problem can be corrected by placing the FOB in the center console slot does not ameliorate the seriousness of the problem.
I don't think this has anything to do with the key fob either, although what others wrote could be useful one day.

My "oops" happened at Skyline Drive, which is not known for super-strong cell signal or for over-abundance of RF devices. Besides, it did fix itself without any trouble-shooting - just locked the car and ignored it for 1.5 hours :)

My theory it was an unusual sequence of events:

Normally, you'd stop, press P on the shifter, press the blue button to power down, open the door, get out, shut the door and press LOCK.

We instead pressed P + park brake, press the blue button to power down, got out briefly, but didn't shut the door and left the fob in the cab. Looks like it was enough to send Bolt's pea brain into stupor.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Erroneous error message! This happens with new models. Used to get "Moving too fast for Collision Avoidance" when backing my Cherokee out of my driveway. Some error messages just need to be ignored.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Had this happen yesterday, but mine was a bit different. I was able to unlock the car with the FOB, but the car went nuts immediately afterwords, beeping incessantly and lights flashing, after which the car would not start and displayed a message saying no remote found. I do not believe that this was because of interference with the FOB's frequency because I was able to unlock the car, so there was no interference at that time, but the car immediately had a hissy fit.

Same thing happened to me in a grocery store parking lot. After 20 minutes of shopping, I opened the door by touching the button, and the car began its panic beeping. Touching the lock key on the remote stopped the beeping, but couldn't open the door by touching the button. Unlocked the doors with the remote, got in, and pressed start, and got the dreaded "No remote detected" error message. Tried taking the rubber insert out of the place where you're supposed to place the key and put the key in. Tried several different key positions (there wasn't room to put it in with the buttons facing down), and still got the same message. Took the key and walked away from the car for a short distance, waited, and tried again. This time it worked. When I got home, the car was happy again, and I was able to start it and shut it down normally several times. Needless to say, this freaked my wife out and she is convinced the car is unreliable and shouldn't be used for any trips.

I'm guessing that since the Bolt is basically a computer on wheels, it occasionally gets the equivalent of the Windows Blue Screen of Death and has to be rebooted somehow. Not an entirely satisfactory explanation, and not encouraging as to the ongoing reliability of the vehicle, which otherwise has been entirely trouble-free.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I do not believe that this was because of interference with the FOB's frequency because I was able to unlock the car, so there was no interference at that time, but the car immediately had a hissy fit. I have had two other cars with FOBs and have never had a FOB frequency interference problem;
Using the FOB buttons is a different part of the system. Were your other two car FOB's equipped
with a perimeter sensing FOB like the Bolt's ? I bet they were NOT.

Using the buttons sends a signal on demand for the locks. The FOB's perimeter feature
is passive and you have no control over it's signal like the lock/unlock buttons.
You don't understand how the system works, therefore, your assumption is also INCORRECT.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Probably also worth testing the 12V auxiliary battery as well. A bad 12V battery can cause all kinds of very weird problems.
Did that too, but there were other clues there. Mostly just weird or sluggish infotainment behavior. I didn't wait for more clues. It's the wife's daily driver and I don't like to leave her at the whim of a known potential issue.

I've replaced the fob batteries twice in 5 years. All it takes is one day of the equivalent of butt dialing in her purse to do it in. Women have so many things in their purses. I have a kitchen drawer where I leave that kind of stuff.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Did that too, but there were other clues there. Mostly just weird or sluggish infotainment behavior. I didn't wait for more clues. It's the wife's daily driver and I don't like to leave her at the whim of a known potential issue.

I've replaced the fob batteries twice in 5 years. All it takes is one day of the equivalent of butt dialing in her purse to do it in. Women have so many things in their purses. I have a kitchen drawer where I leave that kind of stuff.
Happen to have the battery types needed for the fob? Might just make that a every 2 year thing to do.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Using the FOB buttons is a different part of the system. Were your other two car FOB's equipped
with a perimeter sensing FOB like the Bolt's ? I bet they were NOT.

Using the buttons sends a signal on demand for the locks. The FOB's perimeter feature
is passive and you have no control over it's signal like the lock/unlock buttons.
You don't understand how the system works, therefore, your assumption is also INCORRECT.
I would be interested in the results of the following experiment: See how far you can be from the car while unlocking it. Then leave the key there and see if you can get in the car and start it.
In my experience, I can easily use the FOB to unlock the car from my house, but I've not been able to jump in and move it when I've left the key in my house. I'm imagining the theft possibilities.

Outside interference with the FOB's frequency. Open the center console and
remove the plastic tray. Lay the FOB on the outlined area at the bottom of
the compartment and the car will function. It's not uncommon to have this
happen with all the radio/cell phone signals, ECT. being shot around today.
What Dr. Diesel said. I've had to lay my key in the specified spot in the center console once or twice. One time it was after my thumb developed a twitch and I locked/unlocked the car and unusual number of times - or my kids and I were on a different wavelength and I was using the FOB and they were using the door button.

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
I would be interested in the results of the following experiment: See how far you can be from the car while unlocking it. Then leave the key there and see if you can get in the car and start it.
It shouldn't be possible to start the car with the fob that far away. The car has different antennas for detecting the fob "nearby the door" and "inside the car".

·
Registered
2,268 Posts

Ummm...the Bolt hasn't been available for five years.:confused:

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have gotten this message as well, but only after disconnecting from a ChargePoint session, and this only happened on two occasions. Otherwise, no issues with using CP in this regard. I don’t know how CP and the issue could be related, though. I’ve tried the recommended remedies at the time of the incidents but recall that the problem wasn’t solved this way but at some point resolves itself. The key fob otherwise works without error, so likely nothing to do with it per se.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
The doors can be locked/unlocked from a hundred yards away. If you put the fob on the roof over the driver's seat, or on the driver's outside mirror, the car will not start. You get the fob not detected message.

·
Registered
918 Posts
The doors can be locked/unlocked from a hundred yards away. If you put the fob on the roof over the driver's seat, or on the driver's outside mirror, the car will not start. You get the fob not detected message.
But if the wife puts her purse on the rear seat and then accidentally brushes the lock button on the door handle, it will lock her out of the car. Ask her how she knows that can happen.

jack vines

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
But if the wife puts her purse on the rear seat and then accidentally brushes the lock button on the door handle, it will lock her out of the car. Ask her how she knows that can happen.

jack vines
My wife says that is not possible. I always defer to her judgement. :) But just to be sure, I tried it myself. That doesn't happen in our Bolt. If yours does that consistently, I'd have it looked at.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Wanted to add that I too have been experiencing 'no remote detected' (nrd) weirdness with my 2017 Bolt, and had it happen again last night with a slightly different flavor. Last night, as I stopped my vehicle to park in a parking lot and I pressed the button on the console to turn the car off, the message came on with NRD. Nothing I could do could get rid of the message (powering up the car, turning it off, getting in/out of the car, etc). But, as the car did power down and only the message was displaying I decided that it couldn't use too much power and went about my business. When I came back to the car a couple of hours later, the message was gone.

Another observation...my wife who has her own key FOB has never experienced any NRD related issues. This leads me to believe that it might be my key FOB, and my next step will be to replace the batteries as suggested here.

Lastly, all the NRD related issues has never left me with an inoperable car. Locking/unlocking the car via the FOB or holding it close to the power button has always provided a workaround. It's nerve wracking to have such an important feature be flakey and be a source of concern to owners.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
About this Discussion
21 Replies
16 Participants
Sean Nelson
Chevy Bolt EV Forum
We’re the Largest Chevy Bolt EV Online Community and Owner's Club. Join to discuss sport mode, reviews, battery range and charging!
Full Forum Listing