Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
This is how the passive entry/passive start system works.
Http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/Article_AC10_Turn-Key-Passive-Entry.pdf

The emergency spot at the bottom of the console is for when the battery in the fob is dead. It is also described.

Atmel may or may not be the producer of the chip system used on the Bolt. FOBs and receivers are made by several different OEMs.

I have had the No Remote Detected error on my Bolt once in 2.4 years. It was when it was 3 months old. Haven’t changed batteries in the FOBs yet. Hasn’t happened since.

Failures to detect can be cause by RF or LF interference or even glitches in the receiver software. It’s a little more reliable than our infotainment software.

·
Registered
3,896 Posts
But if the wife puts her purse on the rear seat and then accidentally brushes the lock button on the door handle, it will lock her out of the car. Ask her how she knows that can happen.
Isn't there a setting that enables or disables the automatic lock-out protection?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I’ve had the “No remote detected” error three times. First two were in crowded parking lots, and I wrote them off to RF interference. Key fob in center console got the car going. Last one was in my garage, where the car went into an endless loop, described by an earlier poster, where it displayed Press brake to restart but then wouldn’t shut down. Fob in center console allowed shutdown. At this point I decided to replace the key fob battery and everything now works fine. What surprised me was the need to replace the key fob battery for a 14-month old car. The fob batteries in my Prius lasted for four or five years, as I recall. Fortunately, CR2032 is a common battery type and I always have a supply on hand. I wonder if others have experienced similarly short key fob battery life?

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
There's a wide variety of 2032 batteries out there. Stick with a reliable brand and supplier. Many are counterfeit. Avoid cheap. This applies to all button batteries, especially on Amazon.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Third time here too [2017]. This time in the middle of nowhere, so RFI was unlikely. I doubt it's the battery since [a] it measures ok and after each time the fob worked fine for several months [it's been over a year since the first time]. It seems to just flake out occasionally. I made sure the wife knew about the hidden key and secret dead fob spot, since over the life of the car, it's likely to fail at some point.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Some 2017 Bolts had a defective remote receiver. Replacing the remote receiver with a newer part number is the fix. It's also applicable to other cars like the Cruze and the Volt (which I had at the time) and I fixed it by replacing the remote receiver myself and never had the problem again:

The receiver is a $28 plug-in part and was easy to replace in the Volt. I'm sure it'd be similar in the Bolt. I had the same issues mentioned in this thread until I replaced it and after the replacement, never a problem. Took about 10 minutes to replace it and in the Volt, you just had to pull up a panel in the back hatch area to get to it. Not sure where it is in the Bolt.

Mike

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Third time here too [2017]. This time in the middle of nowhere, so RFI was unlikely. I doubt it's the battery since [a] it measures ok and after each time the fob worked fine for several months [it's been over a year since the first time]. It seems to just flake out occasionally. I made sure the wife knew about the hidden key and secret dead fob spot, since over the life of the car, it's likely to fail at some point.
Did you notice any missing time and somehow a cleaner colon?

Middle of nowhere...

·
Registered
3,896 Posts
Fortunately, CR2032 is a common battery type and I always have a supply on hand. I wonder if others have experienced similarly short key fob battery life?
I keep an unopened package with a pair of CR2032 batteries in my glove compartment.

I've been driving my Bolt for almost exactly 2 years now on the original key fob battery and I haven't had any issues at all with it.

·
Registered
4,028 Posts
I've been driving my Bolt for almost exactly 2 years now on the original key fob battery and I haven't had any issues at all with it.
27 months and counting with no problems. We always lock and unlock with the buttons on the door handles. Maybe once a week we use the fob to precondition the cabin. I have noticed recently that it doesn't reach from the house. I have to walk half way to the garage. Probably will change them next summer.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I had this happen repeatedly and at increasing frequency about a month ago. I decided to replace the battery in the remote and haven't had the problem since. Replaced the 2032 and that fixed the issue. There is a good YouTube video showing how to do this.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
27 months and counting with no problems. We always lock and unlock with the buttons on the door handles. Maybe once a week we use the fob to precondition the cabin. I have noticed recently that it doesn't reach from the house. I have to walk half way to the garage. Probably will change them next summer.
I think you can use your app to precondition - as long as your phone and the car are on the same wifi network. Right?

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
I think you can use your app to precondition - as long as your phone and the car are on the same wifi network. Right?
If you've got OnStar (including the free 5 year Basic), you can precondition from anywhere. I've used that feature multiple times while out and about on hot days. I doubt if it will work through WiFi without the Web and OnStar, but I've never tried. If both are near the same WiFi WAP, just use the fob instead.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts