Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last Monday left tire punctured on the shoulder. It couldn't be repaired. Called Chevy dealer in Folsom, CA where I purchased the car. Asked if they had any replacement tires or could get one from Michelin. Service rep said that was a real, "head scratcher. The tires are very hard to get". I told him I would call local Big-O instead. He seemed to think that was a good idea.

Big-O contacted Michelin and was told it would take 5 days to receive the tire. They ordered the tire. Tire was due today and did not arrive. Big-O contacted them and the said it would now take 21 days to receive the tire. We decided to replace all 4 tires since we did not feel safe on tires that cannot be replaced in a timely manner.

I wish Chevy had mentioned that these parts would not be available. I wonder what else they will not be able to fix/replace. This just cost me $750 and the new tires will not be as efficient. I wish I could sue the dealer. Think I will look into it.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
TireRack has the OEM tires in stock, can be shipped to a local installer in a couple of days from NV warehouse.

One of the reasons why these tires are hard to find is that there’s very little demand. Chevy only sells a few thousand Bolts a month, and most Bolts are too new to need replacement tires, and if the self seal technology is working most Bolt tires aren’t going flat. Flats can also be repaired in most cases.

Sorry your experience was so poor, but I would have purchased a used tire while waiting for the replacement tire. That way I’d be out around an extra $50, instead of spending $750, and discarding three perfectly good tires. Lots of used tires have plenty of good tread left, certainly enough to get you through a two week wait. I’m surprised that Big-O didn’t try to work with you on a temporary solution, since they’re the ones who promised you a tire that never showed up.

You now also face the problem of having no flat protection at all. I’m not sure how well selfseal works, but I know that a tire without if goes flat every time. I’d at least pick up a can of emergency tire inflator and keep it in the car.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
We decided to replace all 4 tires since we did not feel safe on tires that cannot be replaced in a timely manner. . . . This just cost me $750 and the new tires will not be as efficient. I wish I could sue the dealer. Think I will look into it.
There reasons and there is what some might consider unreasonable. Since OEM tires are available, that OP and his incompetent minions didn't find them doesn't make winning his lawsuit likely.

But welcome to ChevyBolt.org. Don't believe everything you read here, but the advice will certainly be better than relying on what was available locally.

jack vines

·
Registered
328 Posts
You could have checked Online too

There are a couple of members from the forum selling their low mileage take out tires: http://www.chevybolt.org/forum/306-wheels-tires/
There are also a few on eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Used-P215-50R17-91-H-8-32nds-Michelin-Energy-Saver-A-S-SelfSeal/401454179583
You can score some super sticky, summer replacement tires for around $200 a set: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Riken&tireModel=Raptor+ZR&partnum=15WR7RZR

No need for lawsuits, just learn to use the resources available to you...

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Yeah, it is a shame the OEM parts readily available, but that's NOT why I shopped for a full spare before I bought my Bolt. After a test drive and walkthrough of the vehicle, I knew immediately I'd need a full spare and asked their parts department how much it cost and lead time.

That was also right before I started searching for cheaper alternatives from Tire Rack and Discount Tire.

Reactions: Sean Nelson

·
Registered
499 Posts
shotel said:
Tire Rack shows them in Stock in their Shreveport, LA distribution center. 2-day delivery to California. $191.32 each.

It did take me about 3 minutes to source this using a new-fangled contraption called the Interwebs.
WIN^^^
Packard V8 said:
There reasons and there is what some might consider unreasonable. Since OEM tires are available, that OP and his incompetent minions didn't find them doesn't make winning his lawsuit likely.

But welcome to ChevyBolt.org. Don't believe everything you read here, but the advice will certainly be better than relying on what was available locally.

jack vines
WIN^^^

timeToy said:
You could have checked Online too
No need for lawsuits, just learn to use the resources available to you...
WIN^^^

pothast said:
I wish I could sue the dealer. Think I will look into it.
Not so much^^^

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
You can score some super sticky, summer replacement tires for around $200 a set: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Riken&tireModel=Raptor+ZR&partnum=15WR7RZR
FYI I almost bought a set of those last week but my tire guy (who I do trust) said they are SUPER noisy. Honestly they even look noisy even though the reviews on tire rack say they are good. Especially considering that Chevy skimped on sound insulation on the Bolt to save cost^H^H^H^Hweight I decided to pass on those tires and got a set of Kumho summer tires instead.

·
Registered
328 Posts
FYI I almost bought a set of those last week but my tire guy (who I do trust) said they are SUPER noisy. Honestly they even look noisy even though the reviews on tire rack say they are good. Especially considering that Chevy skimped on sound insulation on the Bolt to save cost^H^H^H^Hweight I decided to pass on those tires and got a set of Kumho summer tires instead.
I do not find them noisy at all, not any more than stock. Also how does a tire "looks" noisy?

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I do not find them noisy at all, not any more than stock. Also how does a tire "looks" noisy?
Looks like an aggressive tread pattern, I've had quite a few different sets of performance focused summer tires for my last few cars and the ones that gripped the best also tended to be noisier.

Also anecdotally, I just got my Kumho Ecsta PS31s on yesterday and they are noticeably quieter than the stock tires were.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts