Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Of course, every technology is met with luddites that have their own interests to protect. The dealership owners will be fine though, because salesmanship is a fungible skill. It doesn't matter if the product is x or y, the skill in reading individuals and eliciting an emotional response is the same. Mechanics... probably should be learning how to use a computer (and probably already have been).

Automotive manufacturers see the writing on the wall and are trying to dip their toes into the next thing. GM might one day not even sell cars, but instead autonomous driving systems. We'll see manufacturers consolidating into fewer and fewer brands as they struggle to remain relevant, and this will be a hockey stick phenomenon once automation is widely adopted and people stop buying cars.

AV, not EV, will be the major influencer in the reduction of vehicle sales. ICE are already crazy reliable. I've gone 220,000 miles on a 1996 Subaru and only had to do minor things like plug wires and plugs. Oil change intervals are at 1 year now (or about 15,000 miles), and that's only like $20-$30 at a lube shop (I do my own changes). Who even drives vehicles until they suffer a breakdown that is cost prohibitive to repair? Mostly we justify the purchase of another vehicle when something minor comes up. We want the latest tech and something fresh, and that instinct will never change.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts