Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
There has been a clunking/clanking sound coming from the rear suspension of our 2020 Bolt Premiere for about 1500 of our 2050 miles. It's been to the dealer five or six times for this, after the second visit I had to make a video of the car going over a bumpy road to prove the sound was happening since they could not recreate it. A tech even walked behind the car as a slowly drove over the bumps, he hear it then. They've replaced a few parts, sound is still there.

I found some service bulletins about previous models and gave them to the service dept, I don't know if that was any help to them. I've been speaking with the service manager all along, he seems genuinely challenged by the problem and wants to solve it. It's been two weeks since the last I heard from the dealer though.

What could I do now, declare it a lemon maybe? I live in California.

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
There has been a clunking/clanking sound coming from the rear suspension of our 2020 Bolt Premiere for about 1500 of our 2050 miles.
I had this on my 2017 and my dealer figured it out on day one using microphones mounted on the car while they drove it. Waited a couple months for the rear axle assembly to come as it was being redesigned supposedly. They replaced it in one day under warranty. They thought it was a bushing on the assembly. From what I've read, there's another issue with noises from the double walled tubes in the twist beam itself. Mine was more like a creaking noise, where the other can make the clunking sound. Replacing the rear axle is easy compared to convincing the dealer from what I've read on the forum.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Mine has this clunking noise. It happens when the axle twists (One wheel goes up or down). Dealer couldn’t duplicate it. I’m out of warranty now and I don’t know if it’s going to be a major issue.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mine has this clunking noise. It happens when the axle twists (One wheel goes up or down). Dealer couldn’t duplicate it. I’m out of warranty now and I don’t know if it’s going to be a major issue.
That seems to be what's happening with mine. Entering a driveway makes the noise too.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Had the same problem. Rear axle replacement fixed it.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I detailed what I did to get this fixed at 1300 miles starting here (link is to my post):
I could reproduce it on my car by rocking it back and forth. I did this to show the service manager, and they didn't even need to drive the car to diagnose it after that. I also gave them a document with sjdprods' service info so that they new what to look for.

·
Registered
952 Posts
And as a follow up - we've driven well over 10K miles on the Bolt after the replacement and the issue never reared its ugly head again.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Fixed at last! They have pretty much replaced the rear suspension by this point, and it's finally quiet.

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
And the noise is back...
That sucks. Sorry to hear that. Mine never came back. My 3 year bumper to bumper is expiring next month on my 2017. Have zero issues. After that, if it comes back, I'm just going to turn up the sound on the radio.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Today I called the number found on the GM page about lemon laws, they ask they be given a chance to make it right.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Today I called the number found on the GM page about lemon laws, they ask they be given a chance to make it right.

Sorry to hear about the recurrence of your issue even after replacement. Let us know if and how they make it right for you.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Just got the bolt back after 1 month in the shop to fix a variety of issues, hatch rubbing paint & rattling, tapping on acceleration and deceleration, front and rear Axle Ping/Plink/squeak/twist sounds, and a few other minor things.
Hatch got a new latch mechanism, tape on the bumper markers and it still rattles.
Rear & maybe still the front has classic Axle noise.
Clunking in front of car, I don't think it is the dash.
Here are all my videos I just made so others will hear the noises and know they are not normal
Please excuse the videos, 4 of them, and my 1 F word, it's rough and I didn't edit it as it will be part of my court proceedings with GM.
turn up volume or put on headphones so you can hear better. Videos info lists where you hear the issues on each video.
I hope this helps others.
Click on Bolt Issues after 'Fix' playlist

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So, I haven't hear back yet directly. GM sent my wife an email saying they did not have my contact info, even though I gave my email and phone number to the person that answered, and I even had them repeat it back to me. Called the number in the email sent to my wife, and no response yet...that was Wednesday.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
GM keeps sending emails to my wife rather than me, saying they've tried to contact me at the number on file. She forwards it to me, I call the number they give in the email, leave my phone number and email, repeat it, spell it, and they send an email to my wife saying they tried contacting me at the number on file...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts