Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone experiencing a fan like noise with faint clicking emanating from the the instrument cluster area of your Bolt while in D or L ? I been driving it for 1800 KM and never noticed this noise until recently, was wondering if that's normal and its just me getting used to the car and becoming more aware of the minor details. I initially thought it was a fan but it completely stops when i shift to Park.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I'm not familiar with the clicking sound, but something that sounds like a fan or hair dryer is generated on purpose to warn pedestrians. It stops when shifting into park. To check if this is what you are hearing, place your car in a quiet location and then have somebody start the car and put in into D or L mode, and then in Park. While they are doing this, go to the front of the car and listen around the hood area for the sound.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I wonder if there's some way to disconnect it, maybe by the fuse? I can see that some time down the road some owners will want to explore that route.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Someone mentioned that the beep you hear when plugging in will also be disabled.
Didn't pay attention, but I never cared about it. I go buy the light on the dash because
it has the ability to show you if it's charging or has a fault. It flashes yellow if it has an issue.

·
Registered
3,590 Posts
Didn't pay attention, but I never cared about it. I go buy the light on the dash because
it has the ability to show you if it's charging or has a fault. It flashes yellow if it has an issue.
I've been meaning to read the manual on the light. Does the number of flashes have meaning? Seems to flash more often as the level of charge increases. Or it's my imagination.

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
I've been meaning to read the manual on the light. Does the number of flashes have meaning? Seems to flash more often as the level of charge increases. Or it's my imagination.
Before the car is fully charged, the charging light flashes a number of times in a quick sequence followed by a long pause before flashing in quick sequence again. The number of flashes in each quick sequence indicates the charge level. 1 flash = 0-25%, 2 flashes = 25-50%, 3 flashes = 50-75% and 4 flashes indicates more than 75%. When the battery becomes fully charged then the green light comes on steady and stays on.

·
Registered
3,590 Posts
Before the car is fully charged, the charging light flashes a number of times in a quick sequence followed by a long pause before flashing in quick sequence again. The number of flashes in each quick sequence indicates the charge level. 1 flash = 0-25%, 2 flashes = 25-50%, 3 flashes = 50-75% and 4 flashes indicates more than 75%. When the battery becomes fully charged then the green light comes on steady and stays on.
Thanks, I figured they had meaning. Since I've only had the Bolt one week, I've yet to fully charge it. Immediately started using the hill top reserve.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Thanks, I figured they had meaning. Since I've only had the Bolt one week, I've yet to fully charge it. Immediately started using the hill top reserve.
Even if the HTR is active, the light will turn solid green when it's charged.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Trakker, a mild warning, it's not legally required yet to have the pedestrian warning (not until 2019 I think), but it could be a point of content should a pedestrian make contact with your Bolt and they find out you disabled the warning signal by pulling the fuse.

"But if the fuse blew on its own..."

Reactions: drdiesel1

·
Registered
989 Posts
Trakker, a mild warning, it's not legally required yet to have the pedestrian warning (not until 2019 I think), but it could be a point of content should a pedestrian make contact with your Bolt and they find out you disabled the warning signal by pulling the fuse.

"But if the fuse blew on its own..."
My car also has pedestrian braking >:) Kinda overkill for a noise generation requirement too :nerd:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks everyone for the help. I will try pulling the fuse and see if that is the issue. If it is the cause then i will plug it back in and get used to it, at least i will know what its purpose is.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So pulled Fuse 34 and the noise stopped. Thanks again for the advise guys. I will leave it off for a while then connect it again and try to ignore it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
So pulled Fuse 34 and the noise stopped. Thanks again for the advise guys. I will leave it off for a while then connect it again and try to ignore it.
Dear Trakker,

The noise for Blind People and the otherwise Crippled and whatnot might be important some day. You might indeed feel badly if someone was hurt when a little noise might have averted injury. It's a small inconvenience for a driver but a potentially lifesaving measure for someone else.

Support your reconnecting it and ignoring it,... just think how much quieter your car is than an ICE vehicle while you collect your cosmic Karma points while alerting the blind. As the Buddhists say, every good deed is repaid threefold.

·
Registered
3,590 Posts
Dear Trakker,

The noise for Blind People and the otherwise Crippled and whatnot might be important some day. You might indeed feel badly if someone was hurt when a little noise might have averted injury. It's a small inconvenience for a driver but a potentially lifesaving measure for someone else.

Support your reconnecting it and ignoring it,... just think how much quieter your car is than an ICE vehicle while you collect your cosmic Karma points while alerting the blind. As the Buddhists say, every good deed is repaid threefold.
Years ago, a co-worker had a friend that had an EV-1, GM's first electric car. He said he loved the car, but his only complaint was people would just walk out in front of it all the time. People I guess never listened to their momma to look both ways when crossing the street.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Years ago, a co-worker had a friend that had an EV-1, GM's first electric car. He said he loved the car, but his only complaint was people would just walk out in front of it all the time. People I guess never listened to their momma to look both ways when crossing the street.
People in OH walked out in front of my gen 1 volt all the time. I never heard a prius owner complain about it there so not sure what the big issue was. I can't stand the fan like noise of the Bolt and didn't even put 2 and 2 together that the fan like noise was the ped alert. I did like the cricket like manual ped alert of the Volt. The fact we even have to worry about liability for disabling the ped alert fuse is kind of ridiculous and sad. Based on the fact I was hit by a car in a parking lot near my business this last year, no ped alert function would have helped. There is never any substitution for driver awareness. A ped alert fan noise will not stop a ped. from running out in front of a Bolt, might at best stop a walking ped but for sure not one that can't hear or is distracted. My biggest concerns are always runners or fast walkers between cars in parking lots. Outside of piping ICE noise out, they would still almost always get hit, rare thankfully as that hopefully is.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I honestly try my best to rationalize the pedestrian warning. I pretend it's a dorky version of Darth Vader's ominous breathing sound. Like he's gargling through behind his helmet, gently.

An alternative is to get loud tires and maybe stick rocks in their treads so they make tap-tap-tap sounds to warn pedestrians.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts