Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
Nice summary.
Let me comment on some stuff here.

As for research... there are many threads started to ask the same question that a short search would resolve. As a result, the forum gets more crowded and not easy to navigate. Luckily, the search works very well.
I get the idea of getting to the point and wanting to hear the bottom line, but what IF you get the bottom line from a wrong source?

here that you have to use 16" rims, and some have said that 15" won't fit
And they are right.
Not EVERY 15" rim will fit. Some do, some do not. It all depends on the shape of the rim. I had KIA Forte5 SX. It was basically same as LX and EX trims, but had different suspension and bigger brakes. OEM was 18" size and I was looking for 16". Not each style worked. Took me a while to find one that was OK.

The Nokians ended up being $640 installed, with a $1 install deal. For the OEM size 215/50R17, this would have been $1026 installed to the OEM rims. I'm not sure why the OEM size is so much more money for less rubber. It must be due to popularity or something.
It is not the popularity as you may see the more common size is 215/50x17, not 205/65x15. Yet the latter is cheaper.
It is more rubber, yes, but the profile is taller.
The lower profile requires different production and makes it more expensive. Do not quote me on that as I do not remember the whole article why 45 profile is more expensive than 65. Again, it was something with the side wall, its stiffness, and the face of the tire.

·
Registered
847 Posts
However, I would think that a post providing real experience (with a picture of the result) would outweigh speculation. Do you think otherwise? I’m not sure I get your implication here.
What I meant here is you asking the question about 15" rim and hearing from the first person - no, it does not fit. And you trust it and walk away.
Yet, some research will prove that certain styles and offsets may clear the caliper enough to make them usable.

Internet is full of wrong information. Like even your statement about low profile tires being more expensive due to them being more popular...

Okay, thanks for the info..?
I think you do not appreciate help here. I got this feeling half way through your responses and the last one was kind of summary of it.

Good luck, man.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts