Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Came across this research paper that describes a non-invasive, non-destructive method of analyzing the physical interior of a Lithium Ion battery cell by using a magnetic resonance imaging scan of the induced magnetic field created by the cell.

So instead of scanning the cell directly (which is difficult because of the casing), scanning the magnetic field created by the cell could reveal what's happening with the physical materials inside the cell.

The paper also references a "recently developed acoustic technique appears to be a highly promising methodology for the nondestructive characterization of cell behavior..."

The entire concept reminds me of the side-channel attacks being used against computer memory, which people thought was impossible before it was actually demonstrated.

So maybe the idea of a nondestructive test of defective battery modules isn't so far-fetched?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
The paper describes testing a single pouch cell. It would be difficult, if not impossible, to test the existing batteries since the pouches are stacked and encapsulated in a metal case.
It might prove to be a valid technique to test cells on the production line, so that we could have confidence that new batteries were defect free.

·
Registered
692 Posts
They might use some sort of RF like a time domain reflectometer or a 3D x-ray or other imagining. I'd think the TDR would work.

·
Registered
871 Posts
I'd think the TDR would work.
That triggered a memory... ;-)

I remember way back when I got my first real magic cable tester! Not only would it tell me that my cable was broken and which wire (that was easy), but it would tell me how far along the cable the break was using TDR!

Magic!!

Of course, the first time I tried to use it, it told me the break was 30' out. So I go 30' out and start checking...
Cable looks fine... Moving back towards the cabinet.. cable looking fine...
Finally, pull up the panel right next to the cabinet...
And there is a big loop of cable...
So, yeah, the break was 30' of cable out, but only 1 foot from the cabinet... ;-)

·
Registered
323 Posts
Came across this research paper that describes a non-invasive, non-destructive method of analyzing the physical interior of a Lithium Ion battery cell by using a magnetic resonance imaging scan of the induced magnetic field created by the cell.
Dam it! Why didn't I think of that??

PS - If any of you SuperTramp freaks have the album entitled "The Early Years", please message me. Some great stuff, and impossible to find.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
PS - If any of you SuperTramp freaks have the album entitled "The Early Years", please message me. Some great stuff, and impossible to find.
Not a huge fan. Styx and Pink Floyd was more my thing. But if I could replace my lost Styx - The Serpent is Rising... actually, it looks like I could get a CD for $50 now that I check. Gotta love this hidden track gem:

P.S. I still really believe that GM will never, ever, be doing any kind of expensive and time consuming inspection of cells just to maybe save a few of LG's bucks on replaced modules. These proposed inspection methods are completely impractical and still would not guarantee finding 100% of possible defects.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts