Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Can any owners comment if this low background noise is normal on the 2017 Bolt? It's a low rumbling/whirring sound like boiling water. Seems to be emanating somewhere behind instrument cluster. Didn't yet pop hood to isolate further. Can be heard any time car is powered up in a quiet place like garage where there are no other sounds to mask it. It's very quiet and not really bothersome, just want to be sure it's not a problem.

It is not the pedestrian warning sound. I can hear it even when gear is still in 'park' after powering on car. Radio, ventilation, and air-conditioning are turned off.

Amplified version so you can hear it without headphones..

Original recording (will probably need headphones to hear).

Thanks.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Isn't it the pump circulating the coolant (either motor or battery)?
I drove a 2019 Bolt last year and don't recall hearing this but it's been a long time so I could be mistaken and they all do this.

I guess it could be coolant or oil if those are circulating even while parked with 70F ambient temperatures. So you can hear a similar sound?

·
Registered
638 Posts
Does the sound occur only during startup or can you hear it at other times as well?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Does the sound occur only during startup or can you hear it at other times as well?
It's there all the time no matter what else you're doing with the car (as long as it's turned on). Usually driving activities drown it out but it's noticeable if just sitting there in 'P'. Looking around under hood, I think it's the cooling system for the Single Power Inverter Module (SPIM), Accessory Power Module (APM), and Charger Module. Looking at the reservoir, you can see a very slow dribble flow rate that speeds up if you open the hood. Maybe some air bubbles trapped in there making it sound noisier or just a louder pump. Might take a look at another Bolt nearby to compare.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just in case anyone else has a similar question or runs across this thread in a search, here's what I found out.

Checked a new 2020 Bolt on dealer lot. The noise was similar to the recordings I linked in the first post. Maybe slightly quieter but can't be 100% sure without direct side-by-side comparison. This confirmed the sound is normal cooling loop circulation. I've been driving another EV this past year that is dead silent when powered on in 'park' gear so the sound seemed unusual.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Sometimes you can hear the coolant in one of the systems gurgling in mine. Completely normal.

·
Registered
19 Posts
It is the electric assisted power steering electronics/actuator doing its thing. Notice that it calms down when you put some pressure on the steering.

Best

Can any owners comment if this low background noise is normal on the 2017 Bolt? It's a low rumbling/whirring sound like boiling water. Seems to be emanating somewhere behind instrument cluster. Didn't yet pop hood to isolate further. Can be heard any time car is powered up in a quiet place like garage where there are no other sounds to mask it. It's very quiet and not really bothersome, just want to be sure it's not a problem.

It is not the pedestrian warning sound. I can hear it even when gear is still in 'park' after powering on car. Radio, ventilation, and air-conditioning are turned off.

Amplified version so you can hear it without headphones..

Original recording (will probably need headphones to hear).

Thanks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts