Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Wow, what a Bolt ego booster. We have two Bolts. Love them. No build problems noted. Price half of the Model Y. Dealer - close by and provides good support.
That's the advantage of old technology. It's well sorted. My mother-in-law loved my Bolt when I owned one. She really enjoyed the 90 minute naps when it was fast charging. ;)

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EV
77 Posts
There is a lot of long term institutional knowledge that goes into automotive engineering… the kind of thing that a manufacturer learns over time. I’m not surprised to see that Tesla is having to go through that learning curve… and showing signs of struggling. GM went through that already many years ago and has had a long time to figure out the finer points of design and manufacturing. The kind of thing like the sun visor anchor clip coming out on the Model Y is the sort of rookie mistake that you wouldn’t see from a car company that has got its sh*t together from a design engineering and manufacturing end.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
That's the advantage of old technology. It's well sorted.
I’m not surprised to see that Tesla is having to go through that learning curve… and showing signs of struggling.
FWIW, back in the day, when designing a new platform, the OEMs would benchmark all the competition as to best in class for each component (often, it was Honda) and buy and dissassemble them. They'd put the best-in-class parts, whatever the manufacturer, on the wall and study them. They'd find ways to make them better and/or less expensively or sometimes just copy that piece.

Tesla made a virtue out of clean-sheet design, copying no one. Sometimes that gave them a competitive advantage, but sometimes the little stuff turned out to be more difficult than they'd thought.

jack vines

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EV
77 Posts
Tesla made a virtue out of clean-sheet design, copying no one. Sometimes that gave them a competitive advantage, but sometimes the little stuff turned out to be more difficult than they'd thought.

jack vines
Yes, I’m sure Tesla was putting their development effort into battery tech, powertrain control software, motors, etc., and not thinking too much about something as banal and unglamorous as how the sunvisor anchor is attached. That design task was probably passed on down to the summer intern.

·
Registered
2023 EUV Premier Bright Blue
2,218 Posts
FWIW, back in the day, when designing a new platform, the OEMs would benchmark all the competition as to best in class for each component (often, it was Honda) and buy and dissassemble them. They'd put the best-in-class parts, whatever the manufacturer, on the wall and study them. They'd find ways to make them better and/or less expensively or sometimes just copy that piece.

jack vines
GM was recently spotted benchmarking a Rivian.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts