Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it must have been covered, but can't find it. So is there such an animal as a portable charge. ie. a charger not mounted in the house but a take along one with a 50 or 30 amp plug in and the otherend to the car? I know it would add weight and bulk, but just in case.

·
Registered
782 Posts
http://www.chevybolt.org/forum/82-charging-batteries/7138-charging-opinions-long-time-ev-user.html

the Tesla UMC with the right J-1772 adapter will charge a Bolt no problem - and can charge from 110/240 volts and a range of AMP's based on the plug-adapter you put on it. i use one to charge my Bolt at home and on the road - and has worked for me across a wide range of different electrical outlets that I have encountered

you either need to get a UMC with a J-1772 plug on it - or simply buy an existing adapter that converts the tesla plug to a J-1772 plug.

there are other portal EVSE's but I have no experience with them.

the chevy one being only an L1 charger is not all the useful in my opinion.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
not sure again

thanks for such a quick reply. I didn't ask the correct question. I used your link and saw lots of 30 amp cords using 16 amp max. are there any 50 amp to car cords for sale out there?

·
Registered
544 Posts
thanks for such a quick reply. I didn't ask the correct question. I used your link and saw lots of 30 amp cords using 16 amp max. are there any 50 amp to car cords for sale out there?
I don't think there are any portable ones at the 50amp level.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Also, going with what David posted above, that would certainly get you the full capability of Level 2 charging, depending on what you plugged into. In fact I have been thinking about researching which portable Level 2 EVSE would be best and if David uses that one, seems good enough for me to do it as well.

·
Registered
862 Posts
The Bolt charger uses a maximum of 30A (32?) from an AC L2 EVSE. (The charger is built into the car, and is not mounted in the house nor carried separately in the car)
A 50A EVSE will not allow the Bolt to charge faster than a 40A or 32A unit.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have the Juicebox 40, with the adapter set for the cord. That's about as close to "portable" as you can get.

I would get the Wifi version so you can set the current to whatever level you need, so you don't overload the circuit you're using.

·
Registered
782 Posts
The Bolt charger uses a maximum of 30A (32?) from an AC L2 EVSE. (The charger is built into the car, and is not mounted in the house nor carried separately in the car)
Correct but it will come with plugs/adapters to access those high amp plugs

But the Bolt can not charge at greater than a 32 amp capacity.

but a charging like this isn't for the Bolt - you keep it and move it from car to car car as you evolve your EV purchasing - I hoping that the bolt isn't our last EV and that once you've gone electric it's hard to go back to a gas car so your charging infrastructure remains fairly constant but you swap the cars ;-)

·
Registered
372 Posts
I have the Juicebox 40, with the adapter set for the cord. That's about as close to "portable" as you can get.

I would get the Wifi version so you can set the current to whatever level you need, so you don't overload the circuit you're using.
One caution on this. Current JB software only allows storing 1 SSID at a time, and to change that, you have to reinitialize it. This takes a couple of minutes. Alternatives are:

• Remember to change it before you leave home.
  • Use the HS in your car (assuming you have continued to pay for it) or phone
  • Manually change the current limit by accessing a pot inside the EVSE case.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Yeah I have the Juicebox pro 40 as well, and it's effectively portable. It mounts on the wall in a bracket where you can slide it off and it plugs into any NEMA 14-50 plug. Fits in the underneath cargo area of the Bolt no problem.

$599 with Amazon Prime.

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/JuiceBox-WiFi-equipped-Electric-Vehicle-Charging/dp/B00UB9R4KO/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1497500075&sr=1-1&keywords=juicebox+pro+40[/ame]

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
Just to be clear, the maximum charge rate for the Bolt will be delivered by an EVSE that plugs into a 40A or better circuit (i.e., using a NEMA plug designed for 40A or higher currents) and delivers 32A to the car. That's because the circuit supplying the power has to be overrated at 40A or more in order to supply 32A continuously over the several hours needed for charging. The car will only draw 32A even if the EVSE and the circuit it's plugged into are capable of higher currents.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts