Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if it was Bob Lutz that said this, but here goes...Anyone can make a car long, low, sleek, and sexy, but can they make it practical?

I believe this statement fits our cars perfectly! The more I drive it, the more pleased I am with the form factor. It allows me to carry stuff, passengers, and have fun all in one nice, neat little package. Thus far, it has given me nothing to dislike (with the possible exception being the seats). This certainly is not your momma's GM!

How do you all feel about the design now that you have owned it a while?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Five months into my silver ice Premier and I love it. It's a definite upgrade to my 2013 Leaf which I really liked so much I knew I would never own another ICE vehicle. The biggest thing for me has been the massive upgrade in terms of range and performance. It's a very zippy car and I've been getting between 240-275 miles range regularly. I like the styling quite a bit from the side and rear view, although I am less pleased with its head on view. And I do wish there was a bit more storage space in the rear "trunk" area, but it works well enough for me and my Costco runs. No seat complaints here- I find the car very comfy inside.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Five months into my silver ice Premier and I love it. It's a definite upgrade to my 2013 Leaf which I really liked so much I knew I would never own another ICE vehicle. The biggest thing for me has been the massive upgrade in terms of range and performance. It's a very zippy car and I've been getting between 240-275 miles range regularly. I like the styling quite a bit from the side and rear view, although I am less pleased with its head on view. And I do wish there was a bit more storage space in the rear "trunk" area, but it works well enough for me and my Costco runs. No seat complaints here- I find the car very comfy inside.
Hopefully you plan on driving the new Nissan Leaf since that's projected to be an even better rival to Chevy's EV line up. If you do then please keep us posted.

As loyal as I am to Chevy, the next Leaf is still up for consideration.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I completely agree with what you said. I am one of those drivers that has a big problem with the drivers seat. My wife finds the seat comfortable. I solved the problem with a cut to size memory foam cushion. I am having QC issues and frankly expected to have some. I am getting odd error messages on the drivers display and find being repeatedly told to use Keypass when it is impossible to enable it problematic. Unfortunately or fortunately my error messages reset themselves after a couple of driving cycles so there is nothing for the dealer to check out. Android Auto is also frustrating at times. My certified Bolt mechanic said the same occurred with some of the Volts he has worked on. For anyone reading this I am still highly recommending this great little car.

·
Super Moderator
2,578 Posts
I'm 3 months in with zero problems. I absolutely love this car! Could it be better, or more suited to me? Yes, however there is no better suited BEV for me to date, or in the near future. The Bolt is exceeding expectations so far. Fantastic step into the future.

The thread really needs to be three years from now. I find at about three years, just when the warranty runs out, is when people start to have a better idea of how good a car is. I have been happy and thrilled with all the new cars I bought at the three month mark.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hopefully you plan on driving the new Nissan Leaf since that's projected to be an even better rival to Chevy's EV line up. If you do then please keep us posted.

As loyal as I am to Chevy, the next Leaf is still up for consideration.
I am so impressed with the Bolt. No complaints so far. I am getting 4.95 m/kWh (285 mile range). Seats are perfect for me.
But, the Bolt doesn't compare with the Leaf in wind / road noise. The Leaf is amazingly quiet.

-Robert

·
Registered
121 Posts
Between the time I ordered my Silver Premier and it arrived, a retired college professor, a member of my hiking group, was killed jogging in the university section of the city. This freaked my out because I remembered the discussion in the early days of EVs that we were a threat to hearing-impaired pedestrians. The solution was going to be some kind of audible warning that would fill the void.

The window stickers listed a standard feature called Pedestrian Safety Signal. The salesman was clueless and quickly deflected to a video of Pedestrian Braking, Front w/ Pedestrian Detection. I then found a youtube video of GM's Pedestrian Safety Signal, a button on the end of the turn signal arm that chirped on demand. Apparently this kind of thing was used too often to harass hot babes on the sidewalk, so the Noise Pollution Police demanded it stop. It only survived in the Gen 1 Volt. In fact the only reference in the Bolt manual is listed with the Steering Wheel Controls.

The Bolt actually makes an accelerating sound and a gearing-down rumble, but only under 30 mph. Took me a while to catch on that that is what I was hearing. But this Fake Noise (sorry, couldn't help myself) apparently is only meant to warn pedestrians at intersections. As a hiker who uses residential streets when trails are muddy, this concerns me. I can hear vehicles and joggers approaching from behind, but silent-running autos now join bicyclists as a danger on the roads.

Please be aware that fools like me who wear earbuds are beholden to you to give us plenty of space. No telling when we are going to be distracted by some bird, animal or young lady and step further into the street.:)

/*postFirst*/

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I usually switch to the farther lane when there are joggers and bicyclists on the same lane as me, just for safety reasons and you guys are pretty slow. :D But properly running gas cars these days can be pretty quiet too if they're just cruising and not heavy on the pedal.

·
Registered
196 Posts
:D I've had my Bolt for three days. Several quick observations.

1. EV range - incredible. For those new to EVs, you have no idea. With my Prius Plug in, I charged it every time I drove it, at home and work. My previous BMW 13, had to charge every second day. With the i3, every trip used more projected range than the actual trip. The Bolt uses less range than actual mileage. I anticipate weekly charging.

2. Seats - the driver's bottom seat cushion is uncomfortable, but the seat back is great.

3. Technology - A fully loaded Bolt's features are incredible. Will take time to master them all.

4. The EV evolution in four years for me is incredible.

5. Good for GM, good for us.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I've had my Bolt for three days. Several quick observations.

1. EV range - incredible. For those new to EVs, you have no idea. With my Prius Plug in, I charged it every time I drove it, at home and work. My previous BMW 13, had to charge every second day. With the i3, every trip used more projected range than the actual trip. The Bolt uses less range than actual mileage. I anticipate weekly charging.
Why not set hilltop reserve and plug in every chance you get? You will never get into a situation where you wished you had plugged the car in. It is also better for the life of lithium batteries to fully charge and fully discharge as few times as possible.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Please be aware that fools like me who wear earbuds are beholden to you to give us plenty of space. No telling when we are going to be distracted by some bird, animal or young lady and step further into the street.:)

/*postFirst*/

at least you're aware that it's foolish... any time you're on the roadway, you need to have all of your faculties engaged. wearing earbuds while on a road, whether driving or walking, is a very bad idea.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Why not set hilltop reserve and plug in every chance you get? You will never get into a situation where you wished you had plugged the car in. It is also better for the life of lithium batteries to fully charge and fully discharge as few times as possible.
:)Three days and I've driven 61 miles since home, with 194 remaining. I won't let it fully discharge, but I'm going to take advantage of the exceptional range and charge as required.

·
Registered
48 Posts
6 months in. I love I can drive the car hard and still get 4 miles/kwh easily. Such a fun car to drive. No range anxiety around town.

·
Super Moderator
2,578 Posts
I've had mine for 6 months and still love it. No problems and it's fun to drive.
I purchased mine and would do it again ;)
6 months in. I love I can drive the car hard and still get 4 miles/kwh easily. Such a fun car to drive. No range anxiety around town.
Exactly!! This is what I try to emphasize to interested people. How fun it is and how you can drive it just like any other car. No worries with just a tiny bit of adjustment of habit, or routine. I have experienced range anxiety only on day one when I drove it home. That's only because I'm cynical and generally need proof. The car has done nothing but build my trust from that day forward.

Two days ago I was in Berkeley, CA and I was really thirsty. I knew it was a long drive back home and I wanted something to drink. I stopped in this gas station only to buy something to drink. This gas station is tiny as land is a premium there and all the non pump parking was taken, but there was plenty of room at the pump given it was a Chevron in Berkeley ($$$), so I took a spot as a paying customer.

I couldn't help but take a picture.

That's kinda fun...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I keep telling inquirers: If you are staying within 75 miles from home (charging), drive the Bolt just like any other car. {You don't even have to regen (although brake wear is greater).}

It is only when you are going on a longer trip that you need to plan. You learn that speed is the main enemy of range, climate control is second. On a recent 240 mile trip, I recorded at 15 minute intervals the odometer mileage, the max/exp/min ranges indicated, and later (on a spreadsheet) calculated the sum of miles driven & expected range remaining. For the first (interstate - cruise control set at 60 mph) half of the trip, the average of these sums was 255 miles. For the second (2 lane highway - crossing mountain ranges - speeds ~40-45 mph) half of the trip, the average was 281 miles! Where driving 50 mph on the Interstate is deemed unsafe, taking the "non-Interstate" route may get you that needed longer range, offsetting the few more miles driven.

1 - 20 of 123 Posts