Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:eek:NY State $2K incentive ending - Does anybody know how long this incentive will last, I saw a NY dealer noting on their website that it would end 5/1/2017. Or was that just a ploy to get quicker sales, and push people into buying what is on the lot?

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
It's funded for the current fiscal year... the program started 3/25/2017, so you probably have at least till that time next year or till funds run out (which is unlikely).

There is a link near the bottom of the NYSERDA homepage where you can send an email to the program admin, she will respond the same day usually..
https://www.nyserda.ny.gov/All-Programs/Programs/Drive-Clean-Rebate/How-it-Works

Make sure your dealer is on the "Participating Delaer" list (link on the above page) or they won't be able to give you the $2K off at the point of sale.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks NY-Rob, I emailed them to verify. Now I can order what I want instead of purchasing what is on the dealership lot.
I will update with the reply that I get.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
^ make sure you don't pay MSRP either... there are NY dealers selling at $3K off MSRP!
In state shipping should only be $500 or so, no excuse to pay full boat imo.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
It's funded for the current fiscal year... the program started 3/25/2017, so you probably have at least till that time next year or till funds run out (which is unlikely).
Watch out - we had an EV incentive program here in British Columbia Canada that ran out of funds in just a few months. If the NY incentive program has some sort of website that tracks the available funds then I'd keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
^ the public charging infrastructure in NY sucks at this point in time, so EV's aren't big here yet... it's unlikely that the fund will dry up before it expires.
It could happen, but it just doesn't seem likely given the current rate of EV sales in NY.

On another note... I have read that in addition to the $2K POS rebate, NY is trying to push through a "no sales tax on EV's" bill. If the two programs run concurrently you could save big on a $40K Bolt!

·
Registered
735 Posts
If anyone buys in before that bill passes then hopefully they offer a credit to anyone who has bought within the past year or some reasonable duration like that. Its the least they can do to stimulate EV buying overall

·
Registered
51 Posts
The program has 70 million in funding. 15 million for education and 55 million for incentives. Based on the facr that the incentives range from 500-2000, I would guesstimate about 35,000 evś and phevś will qualify for the rebate. There are about 30 different car models that qualify in NY for the rebate.

·
Registered
862 Posts
:eek:NY State $2K incentive ending - Does anybody know how long this incentive will last, I saw a NY dealer noting on their website that it would end 5/1/2017. Or was that just a ploy to get quicker sales, and push people into buying what is on the lot?
Likely the disclaimer was for the current GM lease program that runs thru 5/1 and not for the NY rebate.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I contacted the Charge NY Drive Clean Rebate Staff and they replied quickly, as NY-Rob said, the program is expected to last 2.5 to 3 years. However, my guess is that it also depends on the amount of sales, so if EV sales go thru the roof, it will not last the expected 2.5 to 3 years. Thank you all for the information.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
IIRC, one of the terms of accepting the $2K POS rebate is that you keep the car 3-years.
Also, I recall reading that NYS will send you a 1099-MISC for $2K as you must consider the $2K POS Rebate income which must be declared.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts