Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
PLEASE DO NOT TURN THIS INTO A POLITICAL DEBATE (I see enough of that outside, and I like to think of my Bolt as a place to escape from everything else). But this may have direct impacts on the future of the electric car revolution.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/22/technology/electric-car-regulations-trump.html?rref=collection/sectioncollection/technology&action=click&contentCollection=technology&region=rank&module=package&version=highlights&contentPlacement=2&pgtype=sectionfront

Discusses the longer term implications to the electric car industry if the fuel standards and incentives go away.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I don't think the auto industry will be stepping backwards when it comes to fuel economy improvements. They've already invested so much money into research, development, and factory updates to produce more fuel efficient cars and it's what we as the market want.

Maybe they won't try so hard when it comes to gas guzzling pickups, but I think automakers will still look towards fuel efficiency when it comes to SUVs, sedans, etc.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I agree with Bazinga. GM has invested over 30 years in the research and development of electric cars. I do not see them just walking away now. Also keep in mind that GM is a global company and the market for electric cars is growing faster in Europe and Asia.

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
If the goal is electrification of vehicles, then we need no regulations. The electric car will be adopted not through some policy shell game, or federal mandates, it will be adopted because it is a better car. The time for the electric car to die and fade away has now long passed.

I think the tax incentives are helpful now that electric cars are starting to get within striking range of ordinary Americans. California's zero emissions mandates leading to compliance cars has been helpful and will continue to do so. Getting tough on CAFE standards does little for electric cars and will result in higher prices, lower sales and lay offs.

Americans are incredibly predictable and short sighted. If the price of gas goes up, small cars and hybrids are desirable. As soon as gas prices fall, humongous gas guzzlers are popular. The Saudis have more control over what kind of car Americans drive than anybody else! It's a waiting game. Low oil prices are wrecking some OPEC member's economies. Eventually oil prices will rise and when they do, Americans will predictably turn towards higher milage vehicles all on their own, no mandate required.

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
If the goal is electrification of vehicles, then we need no regulations. The electric car will be adopted not through some policy shell game, or federal mandates, it will be adopted because it is a better car. The for the electric car to die and fade away has now long passed.
It is a better car, but it is still a much more expensive car. We are still in the midst of the chicken-and-egg problem of getting enough cars sold in order for industry to invest in research to bring costs down. High costs are still preventing widespread adoption of EVs, and so incentives are still necessary.

Having said that, the rest of the world isn't taking their eye off the ball - sales will continue to grow even if incentives end in America - and that will spur the research needed to level the playing field. The US may take a pit stop on the road to EV adoption, but I still believe they'll complete the journey eventually.

·
Registered
786 Posts
There will always be electric vehicles! Not even free gasoline will kill off future EVs.

The first clean propulsion is electric. They are already the first on the Moon and the first on Mars, so no gasoline vehicle will ever get into space. The electric motor and battery combination is what made the gasoline engine easier to use, replacing the hand crank that was almost impossible for many women and weaker men to turn. It killed many men, including a Cadillac VP, whose death motivated GM to create the electric starter.

So if you read or hear any news mentioning that electrc power will "go away", tell those reporters that they use electric power every time they start their engines. Over 70% of North Americans have traveled on an electric vehicle, and over 50% of the American population travel on electricity every day in the cities.

Electric vehicles will NEVER "go away".

·
Registered
786 Posts
It is a better car, but it is still a much more expensive car. We are still in the midst of the chicken-and-egg problem of getting enough cars sold in order for industry to invest in research to bring costs down. High costs are still preventing widespread adoption of EVs, and so incentives are still necessary.
Pricing is relative. Many drivers buy expensive gas engine imports and NEVER complain about prices, so why do you complain? Anyone can buy an EV just because they can!! (maybe you can't?):(

And a $20,000 car still is as expensive to service as much as a $200,000 car. I know because I do my own servicing on my family and my own cars for over 45 years. EV will need very little servicing, and that is where the TCO is much better than for any gas engine cars. I prefer to spend $40,000 now and NEVER need to spend another penny for another twenty years!:)

In my case, GM isn't allowing my local dealer to sell or service any of the EVs, yet my same dealer can sell (and do sell) $100,000 Corvettes and Cadillacs. Price is NEVER the issue!:D

·
Registered
368 Posts
Americans are incredibly predictable and short sighted.
Amen brother. We're the worst. We totally suck! If only we could be more like the Belgians - wise, prudent, and contemplative to a fault. Or the Cambodians - those guys are maniacs, you never know what they're gonna do next!

In fact, predictability and shortsightedness are common human failings, neither more nor less prevalent among Americans than among other peoples of the world since the dawn of time. I enjoy your posts about cars, but there's no need for all the gratuitous insults directed toward your countrymen.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Even with low gas prices, people are still looking towards more fuel efficient large vehicles. I assume that's why Ford came out with a pickup called EcoBoost. When the gas prices go up again, people are more likely to move towards fuel efficient cars, but before then we're still choosing to look at fuel efficiency.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts