Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a trip coming up from Oakland to Squaw Creek at Lake Tahoe at the beginning of July. Lots of elevation to overcome and hot temps that time of year.

I have both Chargepoint and EvGo FlexPlan.

Any tips on the best spots to recharge on the way up? I can charge at the hotel I'm staying at so coming back down the hill shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks for any advice offered!

·
Registered
374 Posts
I have a trip coming up from Oakland to Squaw Creek at Lake Tahoe at the beginning of July. Lots of elevation to overcome and hot temps that time of year.

I have both Chargepoint and EvGo FlexPlan.

Any tips on the best spots to recharge on the way up? I can charge at the hotel I'm staying at so coming back down the hill shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks for any advice offered!
This thread discusses a nearly identical trip. You might find it useful.

Plugshare says there are 4 free J1772 chargers at the Olympic village, with a 10.0 rating.

·
Registered
782 Posts
evtriplanner is an excellent tool for planning long trips - you can use the Nissan leaf as a "model" since it gets about 3-5 miles/kwh (just like the bolt) - evtripplanner factors in terrain and will estimated total kwh used from point a to point b - if the kwh used for a Nissan Leaf is greater than 55-60 kwh you know you'll need to stop along the way to charge - if you're in the 45-50 kwh zone (or less) for estimated kwh you can probably make it without stopping to charge

https://www.evtripplanner.com

plugging in Oakland, CA to Squaw Creek into evtripplanner shows a nissan leaf consuming 54 kwh with a 6157 foot rise in elevation for 189.1 miles traveled - the trip back is no problem due to the down hill most of the way… :) The bolt is a 60 kwh battery so 54 kwh used for the trip places you right at the edge the Bolt might be slightly less efficient than the leaf - but 54 kwh used is in the zone of possible single charge trip - I'd want some buffer given that it's uphilll and that is always scary in an EV if you're low on battery juice.

plugshare shows many many EVgo DC Fast charger options on hwy 80 all the way to Truckee - so this trip should be no problem - plugshare shows the chargers to be operational and from two different charging networks - EVgo and Greenlots.

there are literally at least 15 DC Fast Chargers littered between Vallejo and Truckee for the trip (and one in Olympic Valley just beyond Squaw Creek - this is a high confidence trip if you plan ahead a little bit and allow time to charge - make sure you have an account setup with the charge networks so that you can stop and charge with minimal effort (green lots and/or EVgo)

keep your speed down and watch the head winds - other than that just know where your next charging stop is and you'll be fine

start with 100% (hill top reserve off) - and stop for at least one 30-45 minute charge session at one of the 15 places along the route - and you'll be fine - if you're adventurous you can trip the trip on a single charge ;-) - it's pretty close to pulling it off but the consumption going up hill is going to test your faith

looks like it's doable but you might want to stop in vacaville and use a DC Fast charger for 10-20 min to give yourself some buffer (Nut-tree mall EVgo DS fast charger located near an in/out jelly belly store) - if you top off in vacaville you'll probably have no problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts