Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
2018 Bolt Premier
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my adapter and OBD Fusion and it recommended that I clear (a list?) OBD Fusion Vehicle Configuration
“In order to better arrange and use this vastly extended list, the names of many of them have been harmonized. Unfortunately, as a result, you should clear before importing the new list, otherwise the two lists will merge with a lot of duplicates and be messy. This will result in your dashboards having a lot of Missing PID errors.”
How do and what do I “clear”? PID list or the dashboards Fusion downloaded with?
Sorry for the repeat, I asked on an old thread OBD Fusion Vehicle Configuration but didn't receive a response.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I don't remember that. Can you send a screenshot?

EDIT: You can make a screenshot by pressing unlock button + up. It will end up in photos. I'm not an iOS expert btw!

·
Registered
552 Posts
Thank you for the response @enslay I went ahead and cleared all the dashboards but the article seems to be talking about clearing PIDs and then recreating dashboards but I'm not sure why as the provided dashboards are for ICE applications.

Chevy Bolt OBD2 PIDs – All EV Info
View attachment 39850
Yeah, I didn't bother with any of that. I just imported the CSV and just made new dashboards in addition to the ICE ones. Some of the ICE pids are still relevant (like the 12V battery PID).

I made a small post on how to automatically make a 96 cell dashboard in OBD Fusion (since OBD Fusion is painful to use to create and place the little widgets):

EDIT: P.S. No "missing PID errors" or anything for me.

Maybe Sean is talking about if you had 2017-2019 PIDs initially? Then maybe clear those?

·
Registered
552 Posts
That totally makes sense, thanks @enslay
It's just a guess. I don't have any problems finding PIDs despite not noticing these other instructions. OBD Fusion has an easy UI for finding the PIDs for a gauge or other widget.

Worst case scenario? If there is a way to reset PIDs... you could just reset all PIDs and import the CSV again. But I don't think that will happen. I think OBD Fusion will just work as expected for you. It was pretty easy to use for me!

·
Premium Member
2018 Bolt Premier
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, non tech old guy is lost, these are the instructions:
1. Done
2. App Store doesn’t have iTunes, just Apple Music, is this what I want?
3. Select what device on what?
Probably have more questions when I get to #4.

A YouTube video would be nice, I feel like I’m reading assembly instructions translated from another language.
Directions
Android (Torque Pro)
iOS (EngineLink)
iOS (OBDFusion)
Instructions by Parker Beeson

1. Buy OBD Fusion from iOS App Store
2. Open iTunes with device connected
3. Select device, click “File Sharing”
4. Click OBD Fusion, Add Bolt custom PIDs
5. Exit iTunes, open device, open OBD Fusion
6. Settings: User Defined PIDs: Menu: Import from file
7. Select PIDs
8. Profit
So far this seems an improvement over EngineLink.

·
Registered
552 Posts
You install iTunes on your PC

It's a lame gate keeping software that controls file access to devices. Can't be doing things like exporting your phone like an ordinary thumb drive like other phones/devices... gotta be with iTunes! I really wish Microsoft hadn't botched their phone. They had a good thing... it's just came too late. Now we're stuck with walled-garden Apple and snoop-ware Google.

·
Premium Member
2018 Bolt Premier
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So spent the better part of all my free time today trying to get the Bolt PIDs onto the ODB Fusion App without success.
Seems iTunes no longer supports Apps so there is no longer a way that I can find using iTunes.
There is a Dropbox and iCloud integration but it seems to only be a storage spot for Fusion to upload to.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

·
Registered
5,720 Posts
You shouldn't. It's not supported by Microsoft anymore. Any problems or vulnerabilities in your phone will not be patched. You are at risk using that phone.
I'll keep going until there's some zero day issue that hits that I can't fix.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I'll keep going until there's some zero day issue that hits that I can't fix.
Actually, I think there were a few in the past 2 years that affected all versions of Windows.

EDIT: Keep in mind, your phone hasn't been supported since 2020.

·
Premium Member
2018 Bolt Premier
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Update, linking Fusionto Dropbox and then turning off my tablet seems to have Fusion download the PID file from Dropbox.
I’ll try it tomorrow when it’s not dark and -21 outside.

·
Registered
5,720 Posts
Keep in mind, your phone hasn't been supported since 2020.
I'm painfully aware. Just nothing out there that I like. I'm still waiting for a phone that's a full fledged computer. I keep a cheap android phone (SIM card removed) in my Bolt plugged into the USB port. Run the OBD2 stuff, android auto, and numerous apps for the car.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I'm painfully aware. Just nothing out there that I like. I'm still waiting for a phone that's a full fledged computer. I keep a cheap android phone (SIM card removed) in my Bolt plugged into the USB port. Run the OBD2 stuff, android auto, and numerous apps for the car.
There's nothing out there that I like either... but you don't have much of choice. It's either snoop-ware or walled-garden. Pick your poison!

If you have the time and patience, you can install de-fanged snoop-ware on an unlocked phone and have the power of Android without all the snoop and telemetry.

Like this one!

I used to be brave about uncertain/unknown stuff like this... but now-a-days, it's just too much hassle.

·
Premium Member
2018 Bolt Premier
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
success!

first data on a crude first dashboard on the tablet, no luck getting the PIDs into the iPhone yet but happy to have the tablet up and running.
Thanks for the advice Bolt forum.

Font Line Screenshot Technology Parallel

·
Registered
27 Posts
So spent the better part of all my free time today trying to get the Bolt PIDs onto the ODB Fusion App without success.
Seems iTunes no longer supports Apps so there is no longer a way that I can find using iTunes.
There is a Dropbox and iCloud integration but it seems to only be a storage spot for Fusion to upload to.

Any assistance would be appreciated.
Yeah, you can just use the normal MacOS Finder instead of iTunes to share files with your phone now. When you connect and authorize your phone to your Mac, it should show up as a "Location" in Finder. If you select that, there's a "Files" section which has apps that you can share files with. You can see an example image here:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts