Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes your day just starts off badly... and goes downhill from there...
-
This morning when I powered up the Bolt I saw the following from SXM "Your Subscription Has Been Updated".
I don't like the looks of that, but okay, lets see what happens. Being my Bolt isn't even 2 full months old yet- I'm still in the 3 month trial period so nothing should have updated, etc... Well sure as $hit... after about 3min of driving all my SXM presets only play the preview channel! So I reboot the radio via the FF+Home buttons... my SXM stations now play again. 3 min later they start dropping out again- first silence- then playing the preview channel. So I reboot the radio a second time... the SXM stations work for 3min then revert to the preview channel again. Well, luckily 3rd time's a charm because after the 3rd reboot- the SXM stations play properly for the rest of the commute.

Now I get to work and plug in the Chargepoint L2 station I've been using since 2012.
As soon as I plug in- I hear the heavy duty relay on the Chargepoint station click and lock in... but no chirp from the Bolt.
I unplug and try again.... still no chirp from the Bolt.
So I return the handle to the Chargepoint station, power up the bolt- turn it off.. close and lock the doors- re-authorize the Chargepoint station and plug in again... still no chirp from the Bolt!
I go through the whole procedure a 3rd time... and finally a "charge started" chirp from the Bolt.

Being suspicious at this point- once at my desk at work I log on to Onstar to check my charging status... "can't connect with your vehicle"... I try a couple of more times... same thing "can't connect with your vehicle". So I then try the Onstar App on my phone- same thing... "can't connect with your vehicle". I go back to the Onstar page via Firefox and it finally connects... but... I get this weird screen indicating I'm in "immediate mode" but I'm also in "Delayed Mode" too with 0 volts going to the Bolt.
Onstar gave me the option to change to "immediate" mode- so I clicked on the button- but upon refresh it still showed "delayed Mode" and "immediate mode" at the same time... and still 0 volts.
So i finally walked out to the car, unplugged the Chargepoint J-handle, put it back in the EVSE, powered up the Bolt- verified it was still in "immediate mode", powered down, locked the doors, authorized the Chargepoint station- plugged it to the Bolt... and I got the "now charging" chirp right away. I checked both the html and Android apps and both now show "240v charging" in immediate mode. All back to normal now!

So, what the heck was going on with my Bolt this morning? Stroke... brain fart.... cosmic dust... solar flairs, gremlins?

I took a screen snapshot of the odd charging status...

·
Registered
150 Posts
That's messed up. Does your SXM stay on now that it is taking charge?

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
^ everything was completely normal on the way home (40min drive), sat radio was fine, took a full charge at the Chargepoint station, Onstar connect is working.

It's like nothing ever happened!

It's the M5 all over again (nod to Star Trek fans) :eek:

·
Registered
150 Posts
If it happens again ask your Bolt if it is alright for it to kill your SXM stations!! LoL

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, if an SXM subscription update can mess up the car charging and Onstar communications... something's very wrong!

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
^ I wouldn't worry about it too much as it was the first/only potentially serious issue (if I was low on charge and unable to recharge) I've had in 2,300mi in the 2 months I've owned the Bolt.

A good reason to never let the charge level go too low in any case....

·
Registered
150 Posts
I've got into the habit of plugging in every night with the Volt and I plan to continue the practice with the Bolt. It's nice to have a full charge when you get up in the morning. You just never know where you might have to go during the day!

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
That sounds scary, to know that SXM can affect your Bolt's charge. Probably a good idea to just cancel it outright in case it ever happens again.

I'm with you wainair, always have the habit of plugging things in before the next day to make sure everything is fully charged if it's a daily item.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I'm assuming it was SXM playing with my subscription that caused the problem because the first thing I saw when I started the Bolt was the "Your Subscription Has Been Updated" message.
What I didn't mention earlier was that on Wed night I paid SXM for a 12 month subscription... It seems likely that's the reason they did something to my radio (most likely) while the car sat Thurs night... and the trouble started Friday morning.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts