·
Registered
660 Posts
I could not hear it here.
What is your location?

·
Registered
8,686 Posts
I was able to cut out a part of a video I made and upload it to YouTube. Its very short; noise starts at 5 seconds in.
That is not a coolant pump. Hard to tell the actual sound level. It is either the inverter, the motor, or the reduction gears. Ours makes a similar sound since new. It has gotten louder over the last four years. Still barely noticeable. But then, I was never a luxury car guy. I drove stick, by ear. I drive the Bolt in CC most of the time, because it is too quiet. I wish it sounded like this.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I could not hear it here.
What is your location?
It starts at 5 seconds in the video. Tried to use other phone but it doesn't pick it up. Some people can't hear it at all. My wife didn't until I cranked up my phone volume. I'm in Houston, TX. Occurs regardless of temperature.

That is not a coolant pump. Hard to tell the actual sound level. It is either the inverter, the motor, or the reduction gears. Ours makes a similar sound since new. It has gotten louder over the last four years. Still barely noticeable. But then, I was never a luxury car guy. I drove stick, by ear. I drive the Bolt in CC most of the time, because it is too quiet. I wish it sounded like this.

At least someone else can hear it! It's definitely not all time and it's only at low traffic speeds. I'm unfortunately new to the car and can't seem to figure out where it's coming from. I don't think it impacts the car, just annoying.

I noticed if it is doing it while I regen, using the paddle increases regen and it just stops making the sound. I don't know if there's voltage or amperage increases in stages, but at steady speeds and heavy draw it isn't present. Just... moderate draw.

This would annoy me less I'd I didn't hear it occasionally over my music at Volume 20 :/

·
Registered
8,686 Posts
at steady speeds and heavy draw it isn't present. Just... moderate draw.
Hard to say for sure. All three of the things I mentioned can cause noise at various loads. If you are hearing it over the radio set on 20, it is definitely not the normal level of sounds from our Bolt's drivetrain!

·
Registered
660 Posts
I think my headphones could not pick up the sound...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Vid sounded pretty normal but hard to determine difference with a recording from what I'm used to. Do you by chance cut off all the tags on your tee shirts?
The sound isn't easy to hear in the recording except at.max volume. My other phone doesn't even pick it up the noise.

As for shirts, no, I don't do that. I had a friend ride with me and he heard the noise. In his case he said it was fairly quiet and didn't bother him much. He did point out that I've driven some "lemons" (very old cars) and that I may just be particular to noises since I was always hunting down issues. I literally just came from driving a 1984 Chevy Cavalier Wagon...

I think my headphones could not pick up the sound...
It isn't easy to hear when not in person but unfortunately that's the best recording I've been able to make so far. I had to crank volume on work phone and out it to ear to hear it on mine. In person, I just go half throttle to 30mph and let off completely (in L) and can hear it on accel and regen the entire time.

I'm going to PM the author of another thread. They had the EXACT same noise as I do, but never posted whether it was solved or if they just gave up trying to fix it.

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
I'm going to PM the author of another thread. They had the EXACT same noise as I do, but never posted whether it was solved or if they just gave up trying to fix it.
Not sure if this is the thread, but is where I previously reported on a resonance mine hits at about 40 mph.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Not sure if this is the thread, but is where I previously reported on a resonance mine hits at about 40 mph.
Not a resonance issue luckily but I believe that was one of the ones I messaged. Only one has replied back and he essentially gave up on trying to figure it out. They own a second Bolt and it makes a similar noise but much quieter. So in his case he was able to compare it and discern that his made a louder noise.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Are you talking about the Batmobile sound? I love it!
Unfortunately no, I love that sound. Its the high pitch (though somewhat low volume) "like bad speaker wiring" sound in addition to it.

I want to get it to a fast charger sometime to see if the sound still occurs or if its only during movement. That should hopefully tell me if its inverter or drive motor.

I'm going to call the dealer tomorrow to see if GM every got back to them.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Based on talking to a lot of people I believe I will need to just accept the noise.

Some people can't hear it. Others can but don't find it obnoxious. I've also discovered that my hearing has grown more particular in just the week of driving the Bolt.

Case in point, I drove our 2018 Mirage in/out of the driveway last night to get the Bolt in the garage. It sounded terrible. I knew all the sounds and knew it was normal, but they all seemed excessively louder. I think the lack of substantial engine noise has my hearing over focused on any noise. Like hearing a pin drop.

At the end of the day, I can accept it if it's somewhat normal and not detrimental. I'm still going to probably test drive another Bolt to hear a comparison, but I can live with it. I love the car; no other real complaints. Well maybe that stiff suspension... :)

·
Registered
2019 Chevy Bolt LT, Cajun Red
640 Posts
Based on talking to a lot of people I believe I will need to just accept the noise.

Some people can't hear it. Others can but don't find it obnoxious. I've also discovered that my hearing has grown more particular in just the week of driving the Bolt.

Case in point, I drove our 2018 Mirage in/out of the driveway last night to get the Bolt in the garage. It sounded terrible. I knew all the sounds and knew it was normal, but they all seemed excessively louder. I think the lack of substantial engine noise has my hearing over focused on any noise. Like hearing a pin drop.

At the end of the day, I can accept it if it's somewhat normal and not detrimental. I'm still going to probably test drive another Bolt to hear a comparison, but I can live with it. I love the car; no other real complaints. Well maybe that stiff suspension... :)
Honestly, this is what I have been thinking (y). The Bolt is so quiet in general compared to a combustion engine, we hear all these “new” sounds we’re not familiar with.
I hope that’s all it is, you’ll get used to it over time I imagine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just bought a 2021 Bolt a couple of weeks ago and absolutely love the car, but that noise can be really annoying. I know EXACTLY what you're talking about and it sounds like it's just part of the car I guess. It's weird when that high pitched sound starts in the middle of accelerating and then just stops at cruising speed. I was wondering why there aren't more posts about that sound. So slight but the sound of it is so irritating and you hear it no matter what because of the pitch. Not enough for me to be dissatisfied with my purchase, but definitely one of the very few negatives about the Bolt.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I still hear the noise but it does become less of an issue. It took about a month for my hearing to become less focused on it. I can honestly say I don't care about it anymore.

I heard a new noise today and when I found out what it was I just laughed.

I was going slowly through a drive thru when I heard a slight scratching noise while creeping through. It sounded like I had picked up a stick and was dragging it under the car. Pulled to the side afterwards and looked under; nothing.

So I pulled away and put car near curb to listen... It's the tires gripping and slipping on the concrete. Only audible when window is down. It's silly.

Without the rumble of of a conventional motor, you are going to hear a lot of whirring and road noise :)

·
Registered
660 Posts
I hear it. Some days more than others.
But I do not care... it is some electrical noise and it may take months for dealer for figure it out or to even realise the noise is there.
I can spend my time on something else.

Or, I will simply accelerate more aggressively to not hear it.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts