Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes, when charging, my Bolt activates the Battery cooling loop. (Not unexpected, its hot here). The radiator fan comes on and I can tell its running very quietly. But what I assume to be the water pump for the Battery Coolant makes a sound like a baseball card in the spokes of a bicycle. Anybody else notice this? Think its normal?

·
Registered
19 Posts
We had a similar experience in a hot garage (PHX) as well. The noise (a racing sound) was so loud we unplugged it. We too would like to know if that is normal. We think the noise started towards the end of the charging cycle but not sure.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did On-line chat with Cheve people. They directed me to the owner manual "fans and pumps may run..." When I told them I understood that, but this is really really loud. They suggested taking it to the dealer to be checked out. I think I'll try to capture it on a recording since I don't know how to make it happen on-demand. At least I'll have something to show the dealer.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Let us know what your dealership says. It's best to record it if possible, I sweat cars have the uncanny ability to work perfectly fine at the dealership and then the problems comes back once you drive off the lot...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sometimes, when charging, my Bolt activates the Battery cooling loop. (Not unexpected, its hot here). The radiator fan comes on and I can tell its running very quietly. But what I assume to be the water pump for the Battery Coolant makes a sound like a baseball card in the spokes of a bicycle. Anybody else notice this? Think its normal?
New Bolt owner in Arizona. Tonight I charged for 3.75hrs/27kwh (this is my 9th full charge using my ChargePoint Home). The outside temp is 66° but this is the first time the fans have made any noticeable noise so I was taken aback. Nonetheless, I recorded the noise but I can't post a link here so I added the link to my attachment. The noise level in the video appears rather subtle compared to what I heard.

I read the Volts have loud fans as well during charging so I guess this is a standard occurrence. Any others have this happen after a full charge?

Edit: RTM - Yep, it's in there. "Note: The air conditioning compressor, pumps and fan may run at any time — even when the vehicle is OFF — to cool or warm the propulsion battery."

Attachments

·
Registered
247 Posts
I do not know about you guys, but I feel it does not help that the car is über silence. Any noise and I am jumping! so I do not blame you for thinking this might be a problem - although I honestly think it is not.

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
There are three fist sized 12 volt coolant pumps under the hood...one for each coolant loop. The one near the front driver's side will start whenever the onboard charger is pulling over 3 kW...maybe even 3 kW in the heat of summer. These pumps are pretty noisey. The big radiator and AC condenser fan is also pretty loud. You wouldn't hear any of this, if there was a big ICE running too.

·
Registered
739 Posts
alarming rattles

The only time I had a noise that grabbed my attention was in the early days on a camping trip, when I was using a DC faster charger in MA, and I forgot to turn the Bolt EV off before I plugged in. It made all sorts of quite alarming rattling and banging noises, which stopped when I turned the Bolt off. I have charged the Bolt since at a dozen or more dc fast chargers, usually with it "off", but occasionally with it "on", and I have not been able to reproduce that rattling. Over time I have not worried about it, and I have not done a thing about it. Who says that procrastination doesn't fix things?

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Sounds are the price you pay for a better thermal management system. I don't know if the Gen 1 Leafs are silent when charging, but the Gen 2 Volt and Bolt both make sounds as the heat/cool pumps circulate fluid to keep your battery comfy.

You also have sounds when you precondition the car for the same reason: coolant pumps.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts