Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Chevy Bolt and all Tesla models owned by me and my family
641 Posts
Do you have any concrete documentation or proof? I’m trying to get them to email me an invoice so I can see the part numbers but it been nearly 2 hours and no email. They claim based on the part number that it isn’t covered by the drivetrain warranty.
You can use shims and it will go for another 40-50k ...Ask others shops that are familiar with this....when you tale knuckle apart and look on female side of knuckle...there will be wear happening if it is on male side then it is on the end of the life.

·
Registered
641 Posts
You can use shims and it will go for another 40-50k ...Ask others shops that are familiar with this....when you tale knuckle apart and look on female side of knuckle...there will be wear happening if it is on male side then it is on the end of the life.
And i have come across customers who supposedly have invoices that GM dealer replace drive shaft but they actually used cheaper option and charge customer like they replaced drive shaft...be aware of this.

·
Registered
641 Posts
And i have come across customers who supposedly have invoices that GM dealer replace drive shaft but they actually used cheaper option and charge customer like they replaced drive shaft...be aware of this.
When you use shims on the hub side it will change place where male and female side interconnect...and in rare situations it will come to same place when suspension is to the lowest level.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Do you have any concrete documentation or proof? I’m trying to get them to email me an invoice so I can see the part numbers but it been nearly 2 hours and no email. They claim based on the part number that it isn’t covered by the drivetrain warranty.
I was a service writer at a Chevy dealer, and still have several close friends there. So I am speaking primarily from past experience. With the part numbers, I can check and confirm.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I was a service writer at a Chevy dealer, and still have several close friends there. So I am speaking primarily from past experience. With the part numbers, I can check and confirm.
plot twist: my service advisor called yesterday saying that they didn’t have the parts and were contacting other dealers to see if they had any. I send her another email asking for the part numbers but no response.
So today she calls me and says really good news they found the parts and more importantly all your repairs WILL be covered by the warranty. I asked her what changed and she said she did a lot more research and making calls and found out indeed that the axle shafts are covered under the drivetrain 60,000 mile warranty.
Does that line up with your experience working at a Chevy service department?

The cynic in me wants to say that they saw how persistent I was in asking if the axle shafts were covered and saying that the fact they weren’t didn’t pass the smell test, and they figured out they weren’t going to be able to pull the wool over my eyes. Lol

·
Registered
713 Posts
plot twist: my service advisor called yesterday saying that they didn’t have the parts and were contacting other dealers to see if they had any. I send her another email asking for the part numbers but no response.
So today she calls me and says really good news they found the parts and more importantly all your repairs WILL be covered by the warranty. I asked her what changed and she said she did a lot more research and making calls and found out indeed that the axle shafts are covered under the drivetrain 60,000 mile warranty.

The cynic in me wants to say that they saw how persistent I was in asking if the axle shafts were covered and saying that the fact they weren’t didn’t pass the smell test, and they figured out they weren’t going to be able to pull the wool over my eyes. Lol
The only thing I have found on drive shaft axles not covered are the rubber boots. Maybe they had a brain fart.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
The only thing I have found on drive shaft axles not covered are the rubber boots. Maybe they had a brain fart.
I know with other manufacturers the rule is that if the rubber boot tears, it's "wear-and-tear", not covered. But if the boot is not torn, it's a manufacturer defect that would be covered as part of the drivetrain.

·
Registered
350 Posts

Well, mistakes do happen. And I have seen people honestly say "nope, this isn't covered" only to find out later that it was. I even had to call a customer once because because I charged him for work that was supposed to be covered. We wrote him a check and mailed it out once the mistake was caught (by our warranty administrator). Maybe your service writer checked the parts coverage list for the battery warranty instead of the PT warranty, for example. It would be a silly mistake, but I can understand how it would happen. It would also be pretty stupid to intentionally tell a customer they weren't covered when they are. Yes, a dealer makes a little bit more off customer pay work than they do from warranty, but the small difference is not worth the liability that comes with intentionally misleading a customer. And that doesn't even begin to get into the ethics of lying to a customer about coverage.

That said, there are slimy people out there who will do anything to make an extra buck.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts