Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I said in the intro, I have just swapped a 2017 Volt for a 2019 Bolt, and I find a couple odd things missing or odd behavior on the Bolt--it really makes me wonder if I am missing an adjustment somewhere (it was easy to miss on the Volt for sure!) Believe me, I have searched both this forum and the web, and whenever I find something close, it does not seem to say exactly what my concern is. Here they are. If someone knows for sure about these issue, I'd appreciate an answer:

1). The radio turns on whenever I turn the car on. I don't care about switching from SXM or MP3 to Radio or anything like that. I generally use only the radio, but if I turn it off before I stop, I expect it to be off when I restart. I see the adjustment for "Auto Volume Max" or something like that, but I'm not sure that is related. Is it really true that GM insists on turning on the audio every time I turn on the car? (The Volt acted as I expect)

2). The radio button labels (AKA "favorites") can't seem to be edited. Yes, I know they pick up the station call letters or whatever, but that's not what I want. I want "NPR Concord", "NPR Nashua", "Red Sox", "Classical" or whatever. Is this feature really not available on the Bolt?

3) The Volt used to refuse to lock with a key inside. Come on! You KNOW that I have a key outside. What's the big deal? Besides I can unlock to door with my phone app. The Bolt has doubled down on that problem. NOW it triple-honks the horn loudly if the door is closed with a key inside the car even if there is another one outside. Yes, I get that leaving the key inside is a bad thing if it is your only key, but it's not and you, Mr. Bolt, can know that because the outside key in in my pocket standing right beside you! I have one. My wife has one. Sometime she wants to hide her purse in the car and lock it in. At the VERY least, it should beep, not HONK!

I'd appreciate it if anyone has can confirm that they find the same issues in their Bolt or even better tell me that it is possible to change these behaviors somewhere that I have not found yet!

Thanks!

And BTW, I really do love this car. I hate to start out with complaints!

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
I generally use only the radio, but if I turn it off before I stop, I expect it to be off when I restart.
Go old school. Turn the volume to zero. Only thing missing is that old click of the knob. There's no off. The button is a mute. Push and hold to turn "off" the display. The mute sometimes persists through a restart, but isn't reliable. Turning the sound to zero is the ticket.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Go old school. Turn the volume to zero. Only thing missing is that old click of the knob. There's no off. The button is a mute. Push and hold to turn "off" the display. The mute sometimes persists through a restart, but isn't reliable. Turning the sound to zero is the ticket.
Yeah, I can train myself. It does seem odd though...especially since they have done it before. It's only a single bit on non-volatile ram. Thanks...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You can turn this feature off in settings.
Really? If you know the name of that setting offhand, please let me know. Otherwise, I'll go through the list of settings again. There certainly are some that it was not especially clear what they did even reading the help and the manual. You know, for the Auto-framistat button the description is "turns on and off the auto-framistat" :) Thanks again...

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
If you know the name of that setting offhand, please let me know.
Other's have gone before me:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow, I don't know how I missed the key-in-car alert setting either here or in the manual. Thanks and sorry to add yet another post about this one!

·
Registered
338 Posts
Wow, I don't know how I missed the key-in-car alert setting either here or in the manual. Thanks and sorry to add yet another post about this one!
There is a setting for auto startup volume. You could set that to 0 or 1 to see if that works for you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hopefully I'm not thread hijacking here but has anyone figured out a way to have the three horn beep not happen when you exit the car (with it still 'running') WITH THE FOB IN YOUR POCKET to quickly do something that's outisde of the vehicle? I do a number of deliveries every day and it's pretty annoying to have to turn off the car, turn it back on again and then wait for android auto to reconnect and the wifi hotspot to re-enable and hope everything works again. At least a quarter of the time something doesn't work and I have to sit there for a minute and re-enable or re-connect with my phone and some apps need to be restarted (hello spotify I'm talking to you) and man it's a huge pain. This could be solved by allowing me to exit the vehicle with the FOB while the car is still on! Currently I just put up with the obnoxious, loud horn beeping at me...invariably just as I'm walking by the hood area where the noise is the loudest.

I've looked and looked and there doesn't seem to be a way to disable, though I don't understand why? If a thief can't drive off and steal the car without a FOB in the car, what's the big deal if the car stays on for a few minutes and then shuts off after a (hopefully user configurable) time if you don't get back into the vehicle? I don't want to leave a FOB inside the car (while carrying one in my pocket just in case) because then there IS an obvious theft risk because anyone could steal it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There is a setting for auto startup volume. You could set that to 0 or 1 to see if that works for you.
For some reason, I was unable to set that to lower than 10% (there was a high limit too). Lower than 10 was grayed out. Not quite sure why. It's a good idea though. I'll keep playing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hopefully I'm not thread hijacking here but has anyone figured out a way to have the three horn beep not happen when you exit the car (with it still 'running') WITH THE FOB IN YOUR POCKET to quickly do something that's outisde of the vehicle? I do a number of deliveries every day and it's pretty annoying to have to turn off the car, turn it back on again and then wait for android auto to reconnect and the wifi hotspot to re-enable and hope everything works again. At least a quarter of the time something doesn't work and I have to sit there for a minute and re-enable or re-connect with my phone and some apps need to be restarted (hello spotify I'm talking to you) and man it's a huge pain. This could be solved by allowing me to exit the vehicle with the FOB while the car is still on! Currently I just put up with the obnoxious, loud horn beeping at me...invariably just as I'm walking by the hood area where the noise is the loudest.

I've looked and looked and there doesn't seem to be a way to disable, though I don't understand why? If a thief can't drive off and steal the car without a FOB in the car, what's the big deal if the car stays on for a few minutes and then shuts off after a (hopefully user configurable) time if you don't get back into the vehicle? I don't want to leave a FOB inside the car (while carrying one in my pocket just in case) because then there IS an obvious theft risk because anyone could steal it.
This "feature" was added with a software upgrade in the Volt a few years ago along with the limited on-time. I think that the issue for the Volt was that if you forgot to turn it off and walked away, and the battery ran down, the engine could come on and fill your garage with CO. But of course that is not an issue with the Bolt, and in either case a limited on-time without the fob would also solve the problem . I also would not mind this (or the fob-in-car warning) if it would use the charge beeper rather than the horn.

This feature gets me if I stop at the head of the driveway to get the mail. If it is not raining, I leave the door open, and no problem. But if it is raining, I'd better not close the door or I get blasted. I trained myself to turn it off and restart it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Sometimes my radio comes on when I start the car, other times not. I don't know why in either case. I rarely listen to the radio and never for long, so it's always turned off when I turn the car off. It's a mystery.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
My opinion is the tech writers at GM need to do a better job. Everyone I know calls it a key fob. Not a remote keyless entry (RKE) system transmitter. Have the pdf version of the manual on my computer with full search and get zero hits with "key fob" as my search. Do a google search of "key fob" and you get 24 million hits. I get 160 thousand hits in a google search using 'RKE transmitter' but that's what you need to find it in the manual.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
When in doubt...RTFM.
I think that JT12 has a good point, and I'll expand...R-ing the F-ing 300 page manual, it is easy to miss something you are looking for. And for a computer search you need to know the search terms. In this case RKE rather than Key Fob.

And BTW, I did finally find the RKE Left In Car warning--the "vehicle" settings is the only one that actually has TWO pages. I did not notice the little dots at the bottom signifying that until a few minutes ago. The second page has only the RKE warning. So now I have that turned off.

·
Registered
87 Posts
#2. no way to program the radio Favorites display/wording that I know of.

#1. No, you cannot have the radio off at startup or set the minimum startup volume below 13 or whatever the option minimum is. So the trick is to just set the volume level to 0 before shutting off the car. You get used to it, but it does seem silly.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
#2. no way to program the radio Favorites display/wording that I know of.

#1. No, you cannot have the radio off at startup or set the minimum startup volume below 13 or whatever the option minimum is. So the trick is to just set the volume level to 0 before shutting off the car. You get used to it, but it does seem silly.
Thanks. Odd decisions by GM.

·
Registered
368 Posts
This feature gets me if I stop at the head of the driveway to get the mail. If it is not raining, I leave the door open, and no problem. But if it is raining, I'd better not close the door or I get blasted. I trained myself to turn it off and restart it.
Leaving the door open when you exit the car to get the mail STILL sets off the horn if you move away from the car a certain distance.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts