Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Is the supplied charger for a new bolt a good one?

View attachment 42568
The supplied charger worked well for me on both 120 and 240 volt configurations. When using 120 I set the home location for 12 amps and reduced charge time by a third as compared to the default setting of 8 amps. At 240 volts it is a fixed charge rate of 32 amps.

I switched to a smart charger (Juicebox 40) to take advantage of local utility rebates to purchase the charger and obtain a credit for night time charging. It also allows flexibility with different charging rates. Otherwise I would have kept the Chevy supplied charger. However, I do like to have a second charger for road trips and as a spare.

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Premier w/ Sun n Sound
726 Posts
GM includes it with the car...it's UL / ULC / CSA certified so what's not to like?
If level 1 ends up working for you then it may be all you ever need.

Reactions: oldskipro

·
Registered
341 Posts
The OEM GM EVSE (charger) is good, just a bit wimpy, the Bolt is capable of much more if supplied by a more powerful charger. If the existing charger meets your needs, why change? If you need more charging speed, review your available power source (outlets or electrical panel) and purchase a more powerful unit to match.

·
Registered
2022 Bolt 2LT ice blue metallic; 2011 Chevy Volt premier diamond white;
79 Posts
Never even took mine out of the car yet. Had L2 charger with my 2012 Volt for 10 years, worked fine with the Bolt until GM provided a 14-50 outlet and I replaced the old one with a Clipper Creek HCS-50. Long story but GM wouldn't pay for a 50 amp line which would have to been run to our main panel but would pay for a 40 amp line run from our 60 amp sub in the garage. I suppose I could have put the other Volt back on 120V line and done a Clipper Creek HCS-60 off the 60 amp sub panel but the HCS-50 is more than adequate.

Our other Volt is also charged with a Clipper Creek @ 15 amps and 240V off the garage subpanel.

·
Registered
2021 Bolt Premier
4,230 Posts
Never even took mine out of the car yet. Had L2 charger with my 3012 Volt for 10 years, worked fine with the Bolt until GM provided a 14-50 outlet and I replaced the old one with a Clipper Creek HCS-50. Long story but GM wouldn't pay for a 50 amp line which would have to been run to our main panel but would pay for a 40 amp line run from our 60 amp sub in the garage. I suppose I could have put the other Volt back on 120V line and done a Clipper Creek HCS-60 off the 60 amp sub panel but the HCS-50 is more than adequate.

Our other Volt is also charged with a Clipper Creek @ 15 amps and 240V off the garage subpanel.
Wait for it....

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just bought a 2022 Bolt that has that same charger. Where on that label does it claim that it can use both 120v and 240v?

I'm not trying to start an argument, but I just don't the the numbers, in order, "2, 4 and 0" and the letter "V" following the numbers. If it's good for 240v at 32amps, how do I confirm this?

·
Registered
5,959 Posts
I just bought a 2022 Bolt that has that same charger. Where on that label does it claim that it can use both 120v and 240v?

I'm not trying to start an argument, but I just don't the the numbers, in order, "2, 4 and 0" and the letter "V" following the numbers. If it's good for 240v at 32amps, how do I confirm this?
The one pictured does not say it's dual voltage. The 32 amp at 240 volts is for a different charge cord than the one pictured. The EUV comes standard with a dual voltage charge cord. That can be reconfigured for 120v or 240v.

The one pictured is known to work on 240 volts but is still limited to 12 amps. To run it on 240 volts would be considered "off label" as the label does not state it can work at 240 volts.

·
Registered
15 Posts
That’s cool. That will double the watts going into the car. 2.8kw vs 1.4kw.
I think I did see someone use a 6-30 to 5-15 adapter on the forum somewhere, but I didn’t see that the equipment was just like the one that can with my Bolt.
I’ll have to search for an adapter.

·
Registered
2017 Bolt Premier
1,527 Posts
That’s cool. That will double the watts going into the car. 2.8kw vs 1.4kw.
I think I did see someone use a 6-30 to 5-15 adapter on the forum somewhere, but I didn’t see that the equipment was just like the one that can with my Bolt.
I’ll have to search for an adapter.
Search no more:

ga2500ev

·
Registered
2022 Chevy Bolt EV
164 Posts
Officially this is an 120V EVSE. Some people disassembled it and checked the components - those were good for 240V but still at 12A (so 3kWh instead of 1.5).

To answer the original question - I find this EVSE pretty good for its purpose, put it into the proper compartment in the trunk and use on road trips (usually hotel staff are ok for me to plug into their outdoor outlets).

·
Registered
300 Posts
The EVSE in my '17 Bolt had the same label and form factor, and it was used to charge at 240V and 12A daily for years without issue.

I believe GM buys the guts from a contractor that makes one model for use in the US (120V) and Europe (240V). An EVSE doesn't 'do' anything with the power.... it just passes it to the car. Its not surprising that it works equally happily at 120V and 240V at the same current. It's like a pipe carrying a certain flow of water, and it can do that at low pressure or high pressure.

·
Registered
2017 Bolt Premier
1,527 Posts
The EVSE in my '17 Bolt had the same label and form factor, and it was used to charge at 240V and 12A daily for years without issue.

I believe GM buys the guts from a contractor that makes one model for use in the US (120V) and Europe (240V). An EVSE doesn't 'do' anything with the power.... it just passes it to the car. Its not surprising that it works equally happily at 120V and 240V at the same current. It's like a pipe carrying a certain flow of water, and it can do that at low pressure or high pressure.
Technically that's not true. The electronics for the EVSE is powered by the incoming power circuit. It just so happens that most OEM EVSEs have a universal power supply that will accept voltage from 85-264V and supply proper power to drive the electronics. But that doesn't mean that there are units that are specified only for 125V that would smoke if you supplied them 240V.

The label is a liability issue. If damage occurs with an OEM EVSE at 240V, then GM is off the hook for the damage because it's clearly an off label use of the product. So, if you are someone who needs to assign blame in such a situation, you should not use the device off label.

ga2500ev

1 - 18 of 18 Posts