Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At least in my area for the last 2 months.
Coming up on inspection and I'm down t o the wear bars. What would be a good 2nd choice. Primarily drive in county but periodically take "long" trips to areas with little to no charger availability. Would like to keep the range I get now, but wouldn't be the end of the world if I gave up some range. We are just spoiled with the low cost, comfort, and quietness of the bolt compared to our ICE.
Some of the available tires are the continental Pure Contact, Michelin - Primacy All Season, Bridgestone - ECOPIA EP422 PLUS, Michelin - CrossClimate2. Some of the other options have also sold out in the last week so I probably need to make a decision sooner than later. What I have been reading all of these are at least somewhat LRR.
Thanks!

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
When our OEM tires need replacing, we'll probably go with the same LRR Michelin, but without the self-sealing goop; costs less, weighs less, same range.

jack vines

·
Registered
26 Posts
Coming up on inspection and I'm down t o the wear bars. What would be a good 2nd choice. Primarily drive in county but periodically take "long" trips to areas with little to no charger availability. Would like to keep the range I get now, but wouldn't be the end of the world if I gave up some range. We are just spoiled with the low cost, comfort, and quietness of the bolt compared to our ICE.
Some of the available tires are the continental Pure Contact, Michelin - Primacy All Season, Bridgestone - ECOPIA EP422 PLUS, Michelin - CrossClimate2. Some of the other options have also sold out in the last week so I probably need to make a decision sooner than later. What I have been reading all of these are at least somewhat LRR.
Thanks!
Michelin - Primacy All Season - My current tire. You'll be disappointed with the fast tread wear, but all other characteristics make for a pleasant ride.

·
Registered
389 Posts
If you live where there are seasons I can recommend the Nokian WR G4 All Weather. Haven't noticed much hit on range and much better in rain and snow over OEM.

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
I used to think safety inspection was only a thing Europeans are subjected to, but apparently there are states in the US that do this. How many states require those? I'm pretty sure the west coast states don't, so maybe it's more of an Eastern region thing?

Anyhow, whenever I need tire replacement, I go to TireRack.com, click on the type of tire I'm interested in (all season, winter rated, etc), then look at the ratings for various performance metrics. I'll find the tire that is highly rated in the areas most important to me, then I'll find a local tire shop that can get those tires.

If maximizing range is important, over-inflating can really help regardless of tire choice.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=GTAS

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you live where there are seasons I can recommend the Nokian WR G4 All Weather. Haven't noticed much hit on range and much better in rain and snow over OEM.
Central NC. Not snow to speak of compared to Okanagan County in WA that I moved from but we'll typically have a day or two of icy roads here and there over the winter. Improved wet road/hydroplaning would be good though. I put a lot of miles on in a year so good tread life would be a plus. Only driver in my household so there is a lot of shuttling. My pandemic milage has dropped to about 18k/ year normally in close to 30k. The electric car is all but making its car payment, no complaints there.

·
Registered
462 Posts
When our OEM tires need replacing, we'll probably go with the same LRR Michelin, but without the self-sealing goop; costs less, weighs less, same range.

jack vines
Seconding this. I also had to go this route. Carry a tire plug kit and know how to use it. I had my first flat two weeks after getting new tires without the self-seal but I carry a plug kit, so non-issue.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Seconding this. I also had to go this route. Carry a tire plug kit and know how to use it. I had my first flat two weeks after getting new tires without the self-seal but I carry a plug kit, so non-issue.
Non self sealing are also unavailable, that was my first second choice, at least through costco and my favorite local shop (these guys can find almost anything same day if you call them first thing in the morning).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have to at least wait for payday. This isn't like I'm sitting in a shop trying to make a snap decision I have some time. Appreciate the input!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks!
Our MY 2019 had Michelin Energy Savers--when we tore it up on a pothole I was was able to find replacements except they did not have the Selfseal feature. We only had about 10K on the tires but I bought a pair to have spare tire. At that point being "in for a penny, in for a pound" I decided to find a wheel and have the tire mounted. I found a reconditioned one online, apparently there were no new ones available. The recon looked brand new! Now of course, I am waiting to hear on my buyback request.

Maybe there we be a new wheel/tire available!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Our MY 2019 had Michelin Energy Savers--when we tore it up on a pothole I was was able to find replacements except they did not have the Selfseal feature. We only had about 10K on the tires but I bought a pair to have spare tire. At that point being "in for a penny, in for a pound" I decided to find a wheel and have the tire mounted. I found a reconditioned one online, apparently there were no new ones available. The recon looked brand new! Now of course, I am waiting to hear on my buyback request.

Maybe there we be a new wheel/tire available!
I need to checkout the buyback threads. Personally I'm quite happy with the vehicle and treat the battery like my LiPo packs for RC airplanes. Though every single purchase I made of an LG product in the last 5 years has gone belly up. That's the only part that has me uneasy. It's always kept outside and with maybe 2 exceptions only been between 30 and 85% charge. For the moment I'm in for the battery replacement/upgrade. Whatever time table that is......

·
Registered
Premier, Yo, with every goodie!
1,314 Posts
I used to think safety inspection was only a thing Europeans are subjected to, but apparently there are states in the US that do this. How many states require those? ....
The good ones that care about the safety of their residents!
Isn't it great when a government cares about your safety?!!

Do you really want hillbillies driving around in smoky, dragging parts, noisy clap traps?

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I will say this. I put performance summer tires on my Bolt and while I took a range hit, my range hit is about the same as everyone else that switched to any other tire other than the factory LRR tires. All around driving with AC on all the time I get ~4mi/kWh. Without AC is is ~4.5mi/kWh (I leave the car parked with AC on a lot). I think News Coulomb has a couple of videos on his tires that are supposed to be LRR tires but were getting the same range as my Performance Summer tires.

I guess what I am saying just about anything other than the factory LRR tires will result in a range reduction. YMMV

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The good ones that care about the safety of their residents!
Isn't it great when a government cares about your safety?!!

Do you really want hillbillies driving around in smoky, dragging parts, noisy clap traps?
It's been more my experience is the states that mismanaged their budget and are looking for new revenue streams.... I've seen fewer rattletraps in states without it, because the police will pull over and give ticket for so much as a burnt out taillight. My dad got one for a dirty windshield once when I was little! 🤣🤣🤣The line of thinking in my area is since everything is inspected every year whatever is moving must be OK. Right?

·
Registered
63 Posts
I am very happy with my set of Continental Pure Contact LS. Can’t compare efficiently with the OEM tires since I bought the car used with this set of new tires. Grip is good in the wet and dry and I don’t tend to spin the fronts even with aggressive acceleration. No snow experience yet.

I did destroy one by running over something sharp on the highway, but that’s not the tire’s fault…

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I will say this. I put performance summer tires on my Bolt and while I took a range hit, my range hit is about the same as everyone else that switched to any other tire other than the factory LRR tires. All around driving with AC on all the time I get ~4mi/kWh. Without AC is is ~4.5mi/kWh (I leave the car parked with AC on a lot). I think News Coulomb has a couple of videos on his tires that are supposed to be LRR tires but were getting the same range as my Performance Summer tires.

I guess what I am saying just about anything other than the factory LRR tires will result in a range reduction. YMMV
Thank you that's kind of what I was driving to. Was hoping someone who is or had run some of the ones available to me would jump on. I expect to take somewhat of a hit. So long as it isn't much above 10% would essentially have no impact on my normal use habits.
On that note we have been taking longer trips with it this year. By changing our thinking a bit it works wonderfully and is a pleasant experience. Slow down, take the back roads instead of highways, use something like ABRP to plan the route and stops. Center the charging stops with meals/ shopping. Makes for incredibly longer range and much more relaxed trip.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Nokian Entyre 2.0. Had them on a Prius a few years ago. Lasted 70k, no problems. Lower rolling resistance than the Michelins but really good traction. If I keep my Bolt, that's what I'll use when these OEMs wear out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The cross climate are out. Found the performance test chart for it on tire rack. It got the worst score in almost every category. They look cool though. Lol

·
Registered
92 Posts
Some of the available tires are the continental Pure Contact, Michelin - Primacy All Season, Bridgestone - ECOPIA EP422 PLUS, Michelin - CrossClimate2.
I’ve been running Bridgestone Ecopias for 250K+ miles on various non-EV vehicles with positive results. I do some mild hyper-miling in my ICE vehicles so low rolling resistance is a high priority for me. I drive conservatively so handling is not a big concern.

I put a lot of miles on in a year so good tread life would be a plus…
I’ve had no problem getting 80K miles out of Ecopias on compact FWD ICE vehicles. This is with conservative driving and consistent 5K mile rotations (and proper wheel alignment). They tolerate maximum sidewall inflation without any negative wear traits.

Other thoughts on these tires...

These tires have average winter capabilities. If you need good snow tires, these probably aren’t what you are looking for! I get about a foot of snow the entire winter, and these tires are just fine for me.

I buy tires at Costco when they are running a Bridgestone promotion ($150 off a set of 4). I like Costco’s included road hazard insurance. They have replaced 2 almost new tires on my wife’s car over the last year due to nails too close to the sidewall (if there's a roofing nail in a parking lot, my wife's car will find it! :(). Each of those replacement tires cost me about $20 out of pocket.

I put new wheels on my Bolt when it was new…and immediately changed over to Ecopia tires. So far they seem to be working out well.

Ecopias are not self-sealing…so consider carrying a good plug kit and a 12v compressor if you get a set of these tires.

I’ve got a set of brand new (300 mile) OEM Michelin tires in my garage. I was going to sell them, but now I’m holding onto them to see what’s going to happen with the battery resolution.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I’ve been running Bridgestone Ecopias for 250K+ miles on various non-EV vehicles with positive results. I do some mild hyper-miling in my ICE vehicles so low rolling resistance is a high priority for me. I drive conservatively so handling is not a big concern.

I’ve had no problem getting 80K miles out of Ecopias on compact FWD ICE vehicles. This is with conservative driving and consistent 5K mile rotations (and proper wheel alignment). They tolerate maximum sidewall inflation without any negative wear traits.

Other thoughts on these tires...

These tires have average winter capabilities. If you need good snow tires, these probably aren’t what you are looking for! I get about a foot of snow the entire winter, and these tires are just fine for me.

I buy tires at Costco when they are running a Bridgestone promotion ($150 off a set of 4). I like Costco’s included road hazard insurance. They have replaced 2 almost new tires on my wife’s car over the last year due to nails too close to the sidewall (if there's a roofing nail in a parking lot, my wife's car will find it! :(). Each of those replacement tires cost me about $20 out of pocket.

I put new wheels on my Bolt when it was new…and immediately changed over to Ecopia tires. So far they seem to be working out well.

Ecopias are not self-sealing…so consider carrying a good plug kit and a 12v compressor if you get a set of these tires.

I’ve got a set of brand new (300 mile) OEM Michelin tires in my garage. I was going to sell them, but now I’m holding onto them to see what’s going to happen with the battery resolution.
Good info. Thank you. I've only had one opportunity to test the self sealing feature. And was actually impressed. Big panel screw off a semi. Was about 2 inches long, that washer is almost the size of a quarter. Didn't even leak. I was concerned if the tire shop could plug it but it wasn't a problem. I bought nice kit with a good compressor and tire seal shortly after buying this car. I will be adding a plug kit to the bag soon

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Tread

1 - 20 of 33 Posts