Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I had an issue recently where I accidentally left the hazard lights for a few hours which killed the 12v OEM battery.

I have a few questions regarding the 12v OEM battery in the 2017 Chevy Bolt.

1) Can the battery be replaced with a lithium battery? If so is there a recommended brand.
2) Will the installation of the lithium battery void the manufacturer's warranty?
3) After this incident and being my 1st EV, I will invest in a battery jumper. Noco 20, 40, 50, 70 or 150 appears to be a great brand. Which one would be compatible with the 2017 Chevy Bolt EV Premier?

Thank You

V/R

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
Can the battery be replaced with a lithium battery?
You might want to check out these threads.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
My general advice for people is to not replace with a lithium based battery since it lives under the hood and is exposed to outdoor temperatures. The main problem is charging them in below freezing temperatures.

Someone that knows a little about battery chemistry limitations could get away with replacing the 12v battery with a LiFePO4.

Warranty voiding questions always come down to if the thing caused the problem or not. The chance of a proper voltage lithium based battery damaging the car is very small. Car electrical systems generally have a fairly wide voltage margin they can operate within.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I use a battery minder overnight once a month. Does it help? I don't truly know. But others have experienced longer battery life with fewer "internal dendrite short-circuits" by doing the same. Remember to use an AGM minder/trickle charger on an AGM battery. You can set the amperage to 10 A or less and charge more slowly than a charger not specified for AGM batteries.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I've thought about replacing with a Li battery also, but decided against it. Two reasons. First, I'm not sure it will perform in below freezing conditions. And the car computer is calibrated to charge and maintain an AGM lead acid battery. I'm sure the Li battery has different charging characteristics.

·
Registered
314 Posts
The two main advantages of a lithium battery are high energy density for weight and a flat voltage discharge curve with more deep cycles than an AGM. I don’t see where these are a big advantage for a car ”starting” battery that is always being charged by an alternator or whatever. If one has a tendency to run their 12 volt battery down often then a lithium battery may make sense.
I’m also pretty sure lithium batteries for car substitutions have a built in BMS so charging profiles are handled by the battery.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I would also be curious to know what small, compact and relatively cheap li-ion jump pack has been known to successfully jump start a Bolt with dead 12 volt.

The one I used at cheap 12 volt li-ion packs verified to jump start Bolt... did NOT succeed in jump starting my '13 Leaf with failed 12 volt. I figured the startup current needed should be modest since there's no starter motor and you would just need to power the electronics to get the contactor to close. I had to fall back to a heavy lead-based pack.

Snapshot of the product page at DJS 40 DBPOWER 300A Peak 8000mAh Portable Car Jump Starter (Only for Gas Engine up to 2.5L) (Yellow) - Power Your Life.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi All,

I had an issue recently where I accidentally left the hazard lights for a few hours which killed the 12v OEM battery.

I have a few questions regarding the 12v OEM battery in the 2017 Chevy Bolt.

1) Can the battery be replaced with a lithium battery? If so is there a recommended brand.
2) Will the installation of the lithium battery void the manufacturer's warranty?
3) After this incident and being my 1st EV, I will invest in a battery jumper. Noco 20, 40, 50, 70 or 150 appears to be a great brand. Which one would be compatible with the 2017 Chevy Bolt EV Premier?

Thank You

V/R
I wouldn't suggest replacing it with a lithium battery because the LiPO batteries that I found is almost $1,000

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
There's some relatively cheap options to trial replacing the 12v battery with a LiFePO4. Hobbyking has a small pack for ~$50. As long as the dome lights never get left on or the car isn't in ACC mode for too long, the battery would probably hold up pretty well.

ZIPPY Compact 4200mAh 4S2P 30C LiFePo4 Pack

No BMS is required because the fully charged voltage of the battery chemistry is higher than the Bolt outputs. The chemistry is pretty safe too, so there's little chance of a fire. I've abused the exact battery, and the worst that happened is a cell puffed up and went bad. Now I've got a ~9v battery.

I've used this $135 battery to replace a failed Prius battery with great results:

LiFePO4 Prismatic Battery: 12.8V 20Ah (256Wh, 10C rate) (24.0) - UN38.3 Passed (DGR)

The difference is the Prius has the battery inside the cabin compartment, so freezing battery temperatures are unlikely. If I were to replace the Bolt battery, I would end up running new wires inside the cabin, probably near to the drivers footwell area or glove box and then run a small LiFePO4. I'm very familiar with electronics and battery chemistries though. This wouldn't be for a typical owner to tackle.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts