Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought the official Chevy bolt sun screen and the thing feels like the lead blanket the dentist puts on you before the x-ray. I used it today and it somewhat buckled in on itself after it got hot.
Anyone else have a similar experience? This thing seems like a collosal waste of money (and it wasn't cheap).

Thanks,
Skip

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Anyone else have a similar experience?
Apparently nothing has changed since 2017:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Apparently nothing has changed since 2017:
We have had ours for two whole hot NM summers now. It works perfectly, no problems, holds up well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
We just bought our new Bolt and I thought the sunscreen, which came with it, looked like it was really well made and heavily insulated. Yes, it's not like the thin light weight ones you can buy at WalMart for $10 or whatever they charge, but I'm hoping the robust build indicates it will do a superior job of shielding the sun and heat from entering through the massive front windshield. I'd like to see some hard data by the people criticizing it before we write it off. Anyone can give their opinion with no supporting data, but those opinions really aren't worth much.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Part of the answer is physics. From storing airplanes in the desert, Nothing on the INSIDE will be as good as an exterior cover. Properly done, a big jet can sit in Arizona & stay cool all summer.
Insolation, (INcoming-Solar-Radiation) arrives from the sun as comparatively short wave radiation. When it strikes a surface it is changed to a much longer wavelength, what you feel as heat on a sunny day. Albedo is the term that defines reflectivity. Clean snow, smooth water, or white paint has a very high albedo, & will reflect most of the insolation that strikes it. The key thing is it does not change to longer wave measurable heat, it simply reflects back into space.
Coming through a windshield changes the rays to the longer form, the reason a greenhouse works, & your car gets bloody hot. if you place a reflective barrier inside the windshield, it effectiveness depends on two things.
A), how tight can you fit it to the windshield? Tightly fitted, it keeps the heat in one spot. Glass is not a good insulator, & much of the heat will transfer back outside.
B) is it insulated? A very thin barrier will get hot, & conduct that heat into the space behind it. An insulated barrier will prevent some of that, & allow the space in from to become hotter, therefore allowing more heat to escape back through the windshield.
Any barrier will do a decent job of keeping destructive UV rays off the interior. If I was going to park outside, in the South, or blistering Arizona, I would use a stiff silver (reflective), blanket that covers the entire windshield & place it on the outside.
i have seen some of these with magnetic edges, or others that you leave the wipers up, & place under. The wipers keep it in place.
A white car is also cooler. One of my Toyota’s has dark “solar glass” on the sides & rear. The idea is the dark glass absorbs the rays, becomes hot. The glass then radiates some of the heat outwards. It’s not as good as a barrier, as much heat stills moves inside.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
My 2017 OEM shield is quite bowed due to its weight (so it doesn't fit tight against the windshield). It's been this way since day one, and has only become worse over time. It's not tall enough to both tuck into the lower dash points and be held up by the sun visors, so it falls to the steering wheel. The good news is that under these conditions it protects the dash, but it reflects all that wonderful heat into the interior. The only remedy is to pull the cover up and away from the bottom of the dash near the windshield (exposing it to the sun), so there's enough of the top to be grabbed by the sun visors.

Whoever designed this thing is a moron...

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
If I was going to park outside, in the South, or blistering Arizona, I would use a stiff silver (reflective), blanket that covers the entire windshield & place it on the outside. i have seen some of these with magnetic edges, or others that you leave the wipers up, & place under. The wipers keep it in place.
Where I live, any outside barrier, unless wired like an electric stock fence, would be gone in < 5 minutes.

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
I bought a WeatherTech shade. Fits perfectly; I know not as good as an exterior blocker, but good enough for the Northeast. Maybe Florida/Arizona different.

·
Registered
8 Posts
We got the Chevy sun shade. Its was very bulky, poor insulating quality, poor reflectance values. It clearly under performed compared the lighter weight metallized plastic shades. I measured a 15-20 degrees F difference in the car using the light weight metatllized shade versus the Chevy shade. Also the light weight shade was better at staying up against the window. The Chevy shade kept bowing and falling down. Though not much will beat a light colored car cover.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts