Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2021Bolt to 2022EUV
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello see a lot of threads on tow hitches but nothing on what the max tongue weight the EUV frame can handle.
Can it handle more the the EV?

how about a 480lb wheelchair? If add ramp it will probably be like 550 or so?

Could somone more familiar with this subject quote the best posts?

·
Registered
197 Posts
The Bolt isn't rated to tow anything according to GM.

The Eco Hitch brand receiver is rated at 300lbs tongue weight, 2000lbs towing.

Even if you can get a wheelchair that weighs 300lbs your not going to want all that weight bouncing on the tongue. You're going to need a trailer

EDIT: EUV manual states the same thing. Not rated to tow.

Attachments

·
Registered
398 Posts
Hello see a lot of threads on tow hitches but nothing on what the max tongue weight the EUV frame can handle.
Can it handle more the the EV?

how about a 480lb wheelchair? If add ramp it will probably be like 550 or so?

Could somone more familiar with this subject quote the best posts?
You might want to check that 480 pound number. Is that the actual weight of the empty wheelchair, or it's load limit or gross weight rating. That seem awfully high for just the chair itself.

·
Registered
2021Bolt to 2022EUV
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
EDIT: EUV manual states the same thing. Not rated to tow.
Right. I should have mentioned that. Some have bought hitches with tongue weights of 400lbs. it would be hard to get a spec on it as GM just says no. But quite a few do it
And some have pulled trailers up to 1500lbs. Not sure if this voids any warranties. It could. Unless you unbolt the hitch every time you have to bring the car in. But they would still see the hole in the bumper.

·
Registered
2021Bolt to 2022EUV
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is there a way to get a lighter chair?
We have a lighter chair.
But since GM says no towing no one can really say what a max tongue load would be.
So a small trailer mAy be safest way to go.

not sure how the tow hitch effects any warranty

·
Registered
2021 Bolt LT Cayenne Orange Metallic
1,131 Posts
Right. I should have mentioned that. Some have bought hitches with tongue weights of 400lbs.
I'm pretty sure for your EUV, the EcoHitch @ 300 lbs tongue weight is the best you can do. The Draw-Tite is 200 lbs, and the Curt only 100 lbs. I'm not aware of any others out there.

Reactions: TimSFL

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
The metal that the hitch attaches to isn't strong to go wild on a weight number or tow number but guess you have to do what you have to do. A lightweight chair without a motor may only be 60 pounds.

·
Registered
2021Bolt to 2022EUV
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A lightweight chair without a motor may only be 60 pounds.
Tks
But , Those chairs can be folded up and put in the Hatch/trunk. It’s the chair that can not be folded that I was thinking of.
Probably too heavy unless put on a small trailer.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Adding a hitch isn't going to instantly void your entire warranty. If something breaks and it's obviously caused by the hitch/pulling a trailer your not going to be covered. For example if you put the receiver on and the door handle fails your going to be cover. If you put it on and a rear strut fails they might blame it on the added stress of towing.

Just my opinion but I wouldn't put anything more than a bike rack on a Bolt/EUV receiver. It's clearly not a vehicle designed for towing.

·
Registered
8,835 Posts
Just my opinion but I wouldn't put anything more than a bike rack on a Bolt/EUV receiver. It's clearly not a vehicle designed for towing.
I towed a Harbercraft boat + motor + trailer all over the place with my VW Rabbit, and it was smaller and way lighter than the Bolt. The car is perfectly capable of towing a small load, it's much more about how you drive it than any limitation of the car.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
The makers of the receiver might offer better guidance. I don't believe a trailer would present less loading on the car's attachment points myself. I'd suspect it could be more.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
4,004 Posts
The makers of the receiver might offer better guidance. I don't believe a trailer would present less loading on the car's attachment points myself. I'd suspect it could be more.
A trailer would present less vertical loading, but more horizontal loading. The direction of load might be important.

·
Registered
2021Bolt to 2022EUV
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The tongue wieght is always a lot less then the pull capacity. Tongue wieght is a vertical load on the hitch. Pull capacity is a horizontal load

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
The tongue wieght is always a lot less then the pull capacity. Tongue wieght is a vertical load on the hitch. Pull capacity is a horizontal load
I believe that rack-type appliances will exhibit additional limits due to the torsion on the receiver and rack. All the weight is cantilevered.

If what you are trying to do is figure out is how much tongue weight you can load on a 2” class 3 receiver, they are rated for a 300 lb max tongue weight. You still need to find out what the max weight ratings are for the type of receiver appliance you want to use to carry the wheelchair.

Most of the powered chairs capable of being carried by a class 3 receiver will probably offer a custom rack to carry it, it will also have a way to lift it to transport height, and you will be good to go with that rack and chair.

If you have a powered chair that is within the weight limit of a class 3 but offers no custom rack, you would be left with fabricating a custom rack for the chair.
It will either work or it will be dragging on the ground after the first good bump hit a little too fast (safety chain it to the car chassis just in case maybe?).

If the chair you want to carry exceeds the capacity of a class 3 receiver, then you will need a van or truck to carry it in the bed.
And the official Chevrolet tongue weight rating for a Bolt is zero, so don’t call GM if anything goes wrong 🙄

·
Registered
2021Bolt to 2022EUV
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If the chair you want to carry exceeds the capacity of a class 3 receiver, then you will need a van or truck to carry it in the bed.
Since her favorite wheelchair is close to 500# a lift at the rear of the car is a no go. A small trailer may still be possible. As others have noted.

Tks for all the feedback

1 - 20 of 25 Posts