Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I watched the YouTube videos Weber University created about removing and disassembling the Bolt battery - well done and very interesting. It gave me a new appreciation for how thoroughly GM has thought out and designed the system - and of course, how well LG has designed the batter pack. One side thing I noticed was that the professor doing the video noticed a slight oil leak coming from somewhere in the front axle assemble. And the same thing was identified by an owner in the "mychevybolt" forum. Two instances don't make a defect, but any slight oil leak would not typically by noticed an owner because the oil would be caught within the protective cover under that area. I just wonder if any other owner would have removed that cover and then noticed any leak.

·
Registered
10,204 Posts
The leak in the Weber Auto video is from the steering rack. The other leak you refer to, assuming it from Mike Dabrowski's car, was coming from the drive housing where the phase wires enter the gearbox. Both are failures of neoprene seals or o-rings. These are assembly problems that may have occurred all the way back at the part supplier, or due to rough handling at the assembly line. Neither is reassuring, to be sure.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the informative feedback all. I didn't expect there was any "chronic" problem to worry about. Over the many decades of owning and driving so many different vehicles I can say with a great amount of satisfaction that our Chevy Bolt is the best vehicle we have ever had experience with. Our "primary" vehicle is a very nice 2016 SUV so I bought the Bolt as a second car. But every day we find ourselves "negotiating" who gets to take the Bolt.

·
Registered
10,204 Posts
Thanks for the informative feedback all.
I didn't take the cover off. But right after Mike's problem surfaced, I ran the car up on my set of ramps. There are several holes in the middle of the cover, and I ran my finger around up in there, and it came up dry. Also was able to get my head and a flashlight in at the edge of the cover, in the right wheel well. Nothing shiny, all dry.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.