Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok the next problem after the repairs were made in my last thread "Towed To Dealer after 2 weeks 351 miles".

When I picked up my Bolt the service adviser said it had been charging all night and I did not notice (I know) till I pulled out of the dealership that it only had 15 miles of charge. So I turned around and went back in. We hooked it back up to the 220 charger and it looked like it was charging. He said the wash boy must not have plugged it in all the way. So I headed back to the office and plugged it into the 110 charger and by the time I left for home it had charged up to 25 miles. Getting home I put it on the 220 charger and after nearly 5 hours it shows 24 miles. The charger is showing charging with no errors. The display is showing "Charging" & "Charge Complete By 10:45" (that is in 5 minutes) and the charge light is blinking 4 times with a pause.

I just went back out the charger is off and opening the door it shows 24 miles "Fully Charged" and the charge light is now solid green.

What the heck is going on now??

I knew I should have left it for a full charge to be put on at the dealer... Should have just taken the loan back to the office and came back later.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
sounds like the guess o meter is getting a bad guess from the recent maintenance. only the state of charge matters, not the miles estimated.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sounds like the guess o meter is getting a bad guess from the recent maintenance. only the state of charge matters, not the miles estimated.
This make more sense as it had nearly 190 miles when it was towed. So how did their trouble shooting drop it to 15 when it had not been driven. I really need to pay more attention to the details, stop and think. I'll take it back in in the morning. Maybe they can just reset it. I need the miles to be accurate.

·
Registered
83 Posts
This make more sense as it had nearly 190 miles when it was towed. So how did their trouble shooting drop it to 15 when it had not been driven. I really need to pay more attention to the details, stop and think. I'll take it back in in the morning. Maybe they can just reset it. I need the miles to be accurate.
Yes, this is all your fault. :) (kidding)

Hopefully it is just your alarm clock flashing 12:00, 12:00, 12:00 type of thing after the system reset.

You know - after what you just went through to get back to "pre-loss condition" dealer should have had increased sensitivity and caught that. i.e.: plug in - read internal meter, give it time, read internal meter again, if good - then give it back to you.

Now you have to grab a bottle of water from the mini-fridge at the dealer at each visit, and if they have a charger - maybe drop by every day or two for a free charge / go for a walk (off lot and back) while it does its thing - until they think you are staff or family... and your confidence is restored. Maybe then when they see you coming they'll eventually get some food ready for you each time - or something for your troubles... Hats, Jacket, Scarf, T-shirt, Car Wash/detail Coupons etc. Even better would be to allow you to pick an accessory that you might find useful and N/C it under customer appreciation/retention/satisfaction acronym = CARS. !!

·
Registered
739 Posts
If it was my car, I would read from a diagnostic scanner, and try to see what the car is really doing. I use LELink to plug into the diagnostic port, with EngineLink HD software. The log-file in there should read out the real numbers. Otherwise, your dealer is not up to scratch on knowledge of EVs, and should be ....

·
Registered
181 Posts
Doing whatever they did to it, they obviously discharged the battery without putting any miles on it. The range estimate now thinks your driving pattern only gets you about 0.25 miles per kilowatt-hour. Drive it for a few full charge/discharge cycles. It will begin to adjust.

Why do you care what the range estimate presents? It is a guess based on previous driving history. The only way it would be useful is if it presented a range based on what your future driving pattern is going to be.

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
Why do you care what the range estimate presents? It is a guess based on previous driving history. The only way it would be useful is if it presented a range based on what your future driving pattern is going to be.
Geez - the range estimate may be just a guess, but it's a heck of a lot more useful and practical than just looking at how many battery bars are lit up.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Geez - the range estimate may be just a guess, but it's a heck of a lot more useful and practical than just looking at how many battery bars are lit up.
well in this special case, if the GOM says 25 miles range for a fully charged battery, then the battery bars are a better indicator.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
When I drove it the battery bars were going down in a ratio that matched the miles. I would be out of bars (indicated battery) at 25 miles. This included the main display battery state. I am not about to take the risk that it shuts down. I took it back by the dealer Saturday morning and plugged it in. It charged it to 28 miles this time and shut off showing full. I left it and am back in the Volt loaner. I am very very disappointed.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If it was my car, I would read from a diagnostic scanner, and try to see what the car is really doing. I use LELink to plug into the diagnostic port, with EngineLink HD software. The log-file in there should read out the real numbers. Otherwise, your dealer is not up to scratch on knowledge of EVs, and should be ....
The scanner is a good idea and i'll look into it. I thought I read somewhere where the Leaf owners had access to an advanced diagnostic battery scanner. Does the Bolt have something similar yet?

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
When I drove it the battery bars were going down in a ratio that matched the miles. I would be out of bars (indicated battery) at 25 miles. This included the main display battery state. I am not about to take the risk that it shuts down. I took it back by the dealer Saturday morning and plugged it in. It charged it to 28 miles this time and shut off showing full. I left it and am back in the Volt loaner. I am very very disappointed.
whoa, that's not good. didn't see that coming. to watch the battery drop like that, something is definitely not right. glad to hear you were able to get it back to the dealer.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just picked the Bolt back up from the dealer. The dealer drove it 30 miles anticipating that it would reset the learn module, which it did not. They contacted GM and GM indicated that the brand new HPCM2 module the dealer had to install to fix the "found it dead & had to tow" problem had to be updated, re-flashed, and relearned. It now shows full charge "MAX 263".

Reactions: John Wozniak

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just picked the Bolt back up from the dealer. The dealer drove it 30 miles anticipating that it would reset the learn module, which it did not. They contacted GM and GM indicated that the brand new HPCM2 module the dealer had to install to fix the "found it dead & had to tow" problem had to be updated, re-flashed, and relearned. It now shows full charge "MAX 263".
While I was first encouraged by the Service department diligence at resolving your original issue, that just got thrown under the bus. It seems that even the service technicians are learning as they go when it comes to how these cars function. Hopefully Chevy will be adding these learnings to the training they give their service technicians:

"After replacing the HPMCM2 module, be sure to update it to latest firmware and then program it to relearn the car parameters. Before returning vehicle to the customer, recharge the vehicle and check that battery charge & range displayed are accurate".

In the meantime I would make sure you get the name of the technician that has been working on your car, what he's learned will be critical if they are any future issues.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I think any Bolt service is going to be a potentially difficult and drawn out process for a while. At least he was quick to contact the factory for help. The factory will keep updating the bulletins trying to sort out the issues and learning curves. "Old School" new part would not require an update, re-flash and relearn coming directly from factory fresh stock. Heck seems every new iPhone I have bought has been behind in updates. It is a brave new world out there!

Reactions: just frank

·
Registered
917 Posts
I know that to support the dealer service network for the Volt when it was launched, GM had a "red carpet" service center that coordinated issues and tracked any vehicle that came back to provide an excellent customer service experience. Seems that they don't apparently have the same type team tracking warranty visits on the Bolt. I wonder if they felt they had sufficient training in place and if service was similar enough to the Spark EV and Volt to feel confident with what they had for nationwide launch was sufficient or what they were thinking...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I know that to support the dealer service network for the Volt when it was launched, GM had a "red carpet" service center that coordinated issues and tracked any vehicle that came back to provide an excellent customer service experience. Seems that they don't apparently have the same type team tracking warranty visits on the Bolt. I wonder if they felt they had sufficient training in place and if service was similar enough to the Spark EV and Volt to feel confident with what they had for nationwide launch was sufficient or what they were thinking...
When I had the Volt it was a real pleasure to speak with a dedicated Volt customer service team. The few times I needed it, it was great. That is not the case anymore. It is evident that the support for the Bolt is not at an acceptable level so I assume it was just due to cost.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts