Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not sure of how many may be affected by this, but I am severely red/green color blind. Many of the features of the Bolt rely on these colors to relay power consumption, efficiency, etc.....
The worst issue is I cannot tell when climate control features such as heat-A/C-power seats-are on or off.
Does anyone else have this issue? With 8% of the male population of the US red/green colorblind, this issue must affect others.
Has anyone heard of a way to change colors of controls/switches since I would think these are all LED generated colors?

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Have you tried sitting in one and playing around with its controls? The HVAC controls have a UI and a physical button component. You can tell if the HVAC is on if the orange LEDs on the physical buttons are lit. You can also tell if the HVAC is on if the UI says there is a fan speed of 1 or greater (I think it reads "--" if the fan is off).

As for the amount of energy, I think the colors used have a luminosity difference that should be viewable if you are color blind but can still discern colors by luminosity. There's always the Guess-O-Meter which always reads how many miles you have (white text on dark green background).

If you've already purchased a Bolt, I'm surprised you didn't notice these issues during your test drive or research. Good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I too am red/green color blind and cannot tell you the number of times I have drifted out of my lane while trying to see what level the seat heaters are set at. I think the colors of dashboard displays are safety issues for which all car manufactures should be held accountable.

I assume that artists and graphic designers are not color blind or they would not be so in love with combinations of red, purple and black, and to a lesser degree, shades of green, yellow and beige. One thing that is so frustrating about this, as any disabled person knows, is the feeling that the rest of the world treats you as if you are invisible, or simply odd by choice. I am sick of people reacting to my colorblindness by saying, "You mean you can't see this? What about this? What color do you think this is?"

The most frustrating part is that this is all so easily solved. The person in charge of a color selections simply has to go to any random group of men larger than 12 and say "Is anybody here color blind and could you take a look at this proposed display, map, sign, etc.?"

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
The person in charge of a color selections simply has to go to any random group of men larger than 12 and say "Is anybody here color blind and could you take a look at this proposed display, map, sign, etc.?"
They probably need more than 12 men, because there are different variations of red/green color vision deficiency.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the website. Like the site says, red-green is by far the most common. I have never met another color blind person who wasn't the red/green type.

My point is that designers who are aware of the problem have many other color choices available besides those that cause problems. The displays on my wife's Prius have a lot of white and blue. I have no problem at all in the Prius. Is it just chance or are Prius designers better informed than Bolt EV designers?

·
Registered
"early" 2019 LT Slate Grey Metallic
190 Posts
I have the same problem. To me, those little dots to indicate HVAC settings and heated seat range look almost the same, on or off. I can tell them apart but not at first casual glance. The rest is pretty much OK for me though. I do have some green/brown color blindness that I only found out about, in my 40s while having a new job physical...

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
As an artist and designer I tried to balance needs of the user, but color blindness really never came up. Some setting like for a high contrast mode could have been easily added to the Bolt's menus.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
As an artist and designer I tried to balance needs of the user, but color blindness really never came up. Some setting like for a high contrast mode could have been easily added to the Bolt's menus.
Color vision deficiencies are fairly common (among males, anyway), so consideration of such is desirable. However, the different variants (even among red/green, since some have red cone anomalies while others have green cone anomalies) can make design more difficult. But since cars can and do have different display color schemes (the Bolt has three options for daytime, one of which is always used for nighttime), it should not be too hard to offer several color schemes, including one good for red cone anomaly and one good for green cone anomaly, and each in a light and dark mode.

Red indicators for the heated seats and climate controls in the touch screen seem like a bad choice for those with red cone anomalies. They also do not match the yellow indicators on the hard buttons just below.

For many who do have full color vision, too much blue can be annoying at night, another consideration for art and design of things like display screens in cars.

·
Registered
7,493 Posts
My point is that designers who are aware of the problem have many other color choices available besides those that cause problems.
You're totally correct - it's a design failure.

In the meantime, a little piece of coloured blue filter over the button might help you to distinguish the difference between "on" and "off", although I'm not sure what it might do to the button's touch sensitivity. It should make the red dots quite noticeably darker than the gray ones.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts