Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I admit to missing the simplicity of the Leaf's navigation system. The On Star alternative turn by turn is not as good as the less sophisticated alternative that Chevrolet mandates. The option of what Apple offers through CarPlay is good, but it requires more out of the drivers attention (which should be focused on driving safely) than the Nissan's system. I'm curious about how many Bolt owners are choosing to pay for the On Star menu of options vs staying with the CarPlay alternative.

I'd suggest to Chevrolet that they should consider more options for their Bolt owners outside of the On Star menu.
I'd like to see a built in navigation software that comes on with the car being powered up.s

·
Registered
181 Posts
I'm pretty happy with Apple maps through CarPlay. I push the button on the steering wheel and ask for directions. It finds a route, displays a map, and gives me turn by turn instructions. There have been times when it offered to change the route to something faster given current traffic conditions.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I need a fast charger

Searched the Internet and can find no manufacturer of CCS for home use. Does anyone know of a EVSE CCS

·
Registered
168 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
When I do get my Bolt I won't be subscribing to On-Star. I supply the wife with a paper map and she navigates. My phone's navigation is sufficient when she's not around.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have found that the OnStar's navigation is not as robust as Waze, for example. While it's convenient, I am not sure it takes traffic into account into consideration as well as other apps do. Now, if only Waze could be made CarPlay compatible.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Only way navigation is going to win in vehicles is with Google Maps, can't beat the level it has reached and all Google is doing to improve it. For this reason in the future Andriod-based systems will win ;) I know my Bolt will be getting a tablet just for uses like this.

·
Registered
989 Posts
I use google maps. At home, I can download a route to my phone and let the phone store the trip
without running on my phones data. I won't pay for anything onstar has. They're a terrible parasitic load of crap.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I use google maps. At home, I can download a route to my phone and let the phone store the trip
without running on my phones data. I won't pay for anything onstar has. They're a terrible parasitic load of crap.
I bought my Bolt yesterday and signed for Onstar. Today I tried to add my wife's Cruze onto free Onstar that has been advertised. Instead what I got is they threw out my account, set up my wife and now I have another Onstar fight on my hands!

Disasters like this is one of the reasons why I allowed my wife's Onstar for the Cruze to lapse. That and they consistently got me lost with their directions.

Give me Google maps any day!

Reactions: drdiesel1

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have been using Google maps and navigation on my android phones for years. I like how you could choose your route based on either time or distance. Choosing the shortest distance (which also usually meant a slower speed commute) would extend the battery range on my Chevy Volt.

Since I have been driving the Chevy Bolt, I have been using the Android Auto software by connecting my android phone to the USB port on the center console. It is awesome to have the navigation on the large screen.

So far, I am very happy with the Android Auto and from what I hear, Apple Carplay works well also.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Once all the GM products have access to Android Auto and Carplay... the inferior Onstar Guidance service will be obsolete.

Even quality GPS manufactures like Garmin and Tom-Tom should fear the web navigation apps.
Now if Garmin/Tom-Tom would work with GM to project their GPS data/real-time traffic to the infotainment screen- that could be a real boost to them as their hardware is self contained with no need for cellular data plans.

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
Once all the GM products have access to Android Auto and Carplay... the inferior Onstar Guidance service will be obsolete.
OnStar does offer a few other services besides navigation, but I agree that most probably use it for navigation and likely won't pay for it anymore.

Even quality GPS manufactures like Garmin and Tom-Tom should fear the web navigation apps.
Now if Garmin/Tom-Tom would work with GM to project their GPS data/real-time traffic to the infotainment screen- that could be a real boost to them as their hardware is self contained with no need for cellular data plans.
The Apple map app is powered by Tom-Tom. Most of the data comes from them, not Apple, so they have worked a way to remain relevant.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I can't justify spending the money on OnStar. I am perfectly happy with Android Auto. I would 100% satisfied if Waze was compatible and it took up the whole space on the screen.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I am enjoying the turn by turn under the speedometer. I usually set it up on the app. Only problem is it doesn't recalculate when you go off route, but I like it more than Apple Carplay. We'll see in 6 months whether it's worth the $10 a month.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts