Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

41 - 42 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
886 Posts
Can you elaborate on your OEM at 240V setup? Are you using a 120V-to-240V dongle? If so, can you recommend one? I've seen that the OEM EVSE is 240V capable (made by Clipper Creek), and it's best to have a certified electrician set it up for 240V charging (NEMA connector from the panel) with a dongle to step up to 240V.

Thank you!
This post will get you going. Be sure to look at the PSA video in post #22 over there.

ga2500ev

·
Registered
886 Posts
That was quick, Sean. Thank you.

It sounds like the NEMA 5-15 is a female socket that accepts the OEM EVSE 3-prong male connector and is wired to 240V at the panel; no dongle? If correct, I get it. I've read on a Volt owner's site (sourced from this site) about having an electrician make the dongle to step up to 240V, matching it to whatever NEMA connector will be used on the female end.

[I'm looking at the 5 yo thread you participated in here: 2016 Volt 120v EVSE is L1/L2 Conversion Capable]
There's no dongle to step up. The adapter used simply passes the 240V directly to the 5-15 receptacle on the other side of the adapter. It's completely passive.

You can build it yourself with a dryer cord with the correct plug and a 5-20 receptacle. But the post I have above is a plug and play solution.

And as I pointed out above make sure to watch the lockout video in the parts thread.

ga2500ev

41 - 42 of 42 Posts