Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
got my Bolt Premier yesterday

Ok here is my feedback after one day and 100 miles..note that I have a Tesla X and recently sold my Focus EV (great car but limited range):

Pros:
Seems to work as advertised!

Cons
having to press a start button is hard to get used to. Even more annoying is the STOP button as I left my car on for hours after parking. There should be a feature to turn car off after awhile.

Not having a map without using carplay and multiple touching of buttons is upsetting! They must be kidding! I thought I would not use maps locally but found myself trying to bring the map all the time (so easy on Tesla and Ford) . Not counting that you actually have to plug phone in. Maybe I'll just keep an ipod plugged in and use car's wifi (until I run of of the free plan).

My first attempt at CCS (EVgo) did not work ...after calling EVgo they tried to debug but I had no patience especially for a service they want me to pay. That plug is ugly! Car connected but timedout.

Spoiled by having two Tesla Superchagers within 5 miles I think my Bolt will be limited to local trips which is the reason I bought it for. L2 stuff is just not fast at 32 Amps. I have two L2 chargers at my house and farm so that is not an issue of having to buy one.

Even with Tesla adapter the Bolt will not take 48A (or72A).. Strange because L2 standard allows for more than 32A.

·
Registered
5,342 Posts
Even with Tesla adapter the Bolt will not take 48A (or72A).. Strange because L2 standard allows for more than 32A.
Not strange at all. The onboard charger, in the Bolt will only use 32 amps, just like the charger in the base Model 3. If you want to use more power, you will need a bigger battery. The automakers are trying to maintain a reasonable charging C rate to preserve the battery. If you get a 75 kWh Model 3, you get a 48 amp charger, more power, same C rate.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I went from a Tesla Model S to a Bolt Premier and would add the following:

1. Like the small-car nimbleness of the Bolt, although the Model S is much more sure-footed at high speeds
2. Miss Tesla auto drive (I had HW1 version) - the Bolt has rudimentary lane awareness/steering and drives like a drunken sailor
3. I like the instrument panel/buttonology on the Bolt better than the large screen (not even close to an iPad) on the Tesla
4. The Tesla charge port door automatically closed - I'm always forgetting to close the door on my Bolt
5. Bolt seats are great for me, as were the Tesla seats (side bolsters on Tesla a plus)
6. Superchargers for Tesla run circles around anything available for the Bolt - no contest
7. Home L2 charging is comparable 29 vs 25 miles per hour (I didn't have the dual chargers on the Tesla)
8. CarPlay is a big plus for the Bolt. Tesla navigation is horrible (although nice that they have the Superchargers on the Map)
9. Start Button on the Bolt is a bit of a PIA compared with Tesla where you just get in and go (or get out and leave)
10. Bolt acceleration is pretty good but not close to the higher performing (and much more expensive) Teslas

Bolt would be perfect if they added real Level 2 or greater auto drive, allowed Bluetooth CarPlay and up'd the speed of DCFC so that it could easily be used for longer trips.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
.... Even more annoying is the STOP button as I left my car on for hours after parking. There should be a feature to turn car off after awhile.
The Bolt will turn itself off after one or two hours depending on the location of the FOB if left unattended.

See page 205 of the owners manual...

Extended Parking
It is better not to park with the
vehicle running. If the vehicle is left
while running, follow the proper
steps to be sure the vehicle will not
move and there is adequate
ventilation. See Shifting Into Park.

If the vehicle is left in P (Park) while
running and the Remote Keyless
Entry (RKE) transmitter is outside
the vehicle, the vehicle will turn off
after one hour.

If the vehicle is left in P (Park) while
running and the RKE transmitter is
inside, the vehicle will run for two
hours. At the end of the second
hour, the vehicle will turn off.

The timer will reset if the vehicle is
taken out of P (Park) while it is
running.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Too bad we can't set the time :-/

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
Too bad we can't set the time :-/
You can. There’s an option to use cellular derived time, or set it manually. See page 108 of the manual.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts