Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
  • Hey Guest, welcome to ChevyBolt.org. We encourage you to register to engage in conversations about your Bolt.

One month in...

3K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  Sean Nelson 
#1 ·
I have had my bolt for a month now and so far it seems like a great city car and a decent car for moderate distance trips. Since I am doing a lot of short trips and not too much freeway driving it is a lot more efficient than I was thinking it would be. Overall since I have owned it I have 1350 miles and an average of 268 Wh/mi for consumption. If I take out my long road trip and just consider city driving the average goes down to 216 Wh/mi, not bad at all. I do not normally use any AC or heat.

Overall the car is comfortable and I do not have any major gripes about it besides that I wish there were better fast charging options available!

Today when charging I did manage to get 284 miles estimated range, I wanted to charge to 100% and see if I could push it over 300 but I ran out of time. Sometimes the range meter gets a little whacky.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Fantastic!! That's ? awesome!! Where is this driving at if you don't mind saying? I have been reporting my mileage (much less, in Lincoln NE) charges to 160-180. Its also been below freezing most of the Time. I can't wait till warmer weather and do some in town driving so I can see those miles! Great to see your report, keep them coming. Thanks.

#3 ·
Nice, great to have someone that has some good mileage on it! The range meter, from what I've heard, is definitely shifty but it'll vary on many different factors but as long as your getting good range, you can't go wrong. Would like to know what your conditions are where your located though.

#4 ·
See page 115 of the manual for a description of the battery gauge. According to this, the mileage numbers are estimates based on various conditions over several days.

However, note the "trend bars" on the left side of the gauge. If you drive with the trend bar extending above the middle mileage number, you will do better than that, approaching the maximum. If you drive with the trend bar extending below the middle mileage number, you will do worse.

This is a really great feature! Not only do you know how far you can go, but you have a pretty good idea of how far you will go if you keep to the current trend.

#5 ·
I live in the Los Angeles area and while it has been cold recently, its LA cold not real winter cold.

It was interesting that I parked the car last night with 284 miles of "range" and this morning when I got in it was down to 264. I guess it figured out there was a problem and tried to correct itself.

#9 ·
No question about this- the efficiency of KwH per mile goes down geometrically as speed increases particularly at speeds above 50 mph probably due to increased wind resistance more than the absence of regen power returned to the battery. My four year of experience with the Leaf made me quite aware that driving above 67 really reduced range.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.