Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I was driving today and noticed that the one pedal braking was lagging by 3 to 4 seconds. When I took my foot off the accelerator pedal I would see the regen on the screen but the car would not slow down. I used the extra one by the steering wheel too and it would not do anything. A couple of times I had to intervene and brake manually as I could not wait 3 to 4 seconds. Then I started another trip and it seems to work fine. Still under 1K miles. Could the cold weather affect it? Probably should not as it is basically stopping the motor itself.
Thanks a lot in advance.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Were you charged close to 100%? Regen is non existent on a full charge and then gradually becomes greater as your state of charge drops, you should have full regen before hitting 90%.
Yes. I had just finished charging it on my 110V outlet. It did say Charging complete. But in that case with the regen mode on when you take your foot off the accelerator shouldn't it slow down anyway as we are stopping the motor literally by doing so?
Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Yes. I had just finished charging it on my 110V outlet. It did say Charging complete. But in that case with the regen mode on when you take your foot off the accelerator shouldn't it slow down anyway as we are stopping the motor literally by doing so?
Thanks a lot.
It is my understanding that the car will not do regen braking if the battery is full because there is no-place to dump the charge. I'm surprised that in one pedal mode it doesn't substitute with the friction brakes in that scenario however since the operator expects the car to slow down when they lift their foot. I don't use one pedal so I can't say for sure that is the case.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Were you charged close to 100%? Regen is non existent on a full charge and then gradually becomes greater as your state of charge drops, you should have full regen before hitting 90%.
Also this is not the first time it was fully charged. I have done it before and never had an issue with it stopping using regen.
Thanks.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is my understanding that the car will not do regen braking if the battery is full because there is no-place to dump the charge. I'm surprised that in one pedal mode it doesn't substitute with the friction brakes in that scenario however since the operator expects the car to slow down when they lift their foot. I don't use one pedal so I can't say for sure that is the case.
It does get a bit scary as I am still getting used to it. You expect the car to start slowing right away and it does not. But I never follow too closely anyway so it give me that second or two to manually apply the brakes.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
But in that case it still did the regen because the car did not slow initially but after 3 or 4 seconds but the screen showed the regen happening anyway as soon as I lifted foot off the pedal.

·
Registered
4,114 Posts
You should set your dash layout to enhanced so that you can see the white horizontal regen limit line on the right side. You'll notice when the battery is at 100% or near full, there's not much regen available because there's nowhere for that energy to go.

Charge to a lower level like 90% or maybe 95% via target charge level screen so that you have some room.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You should set your dash layout to enhanced so that you can see the white horizontal regen limit line on the right side. You'll notice when the battery is at 100% or near full, there's not much regen available because there's nowhere for that energy to go.

Charge to a lower level like 90% or maybe 95% via target charge level screen so that you have some room.
Thanks. What is "enhanced" setting for the dashboard? The one behind the wheel or the screen itself in the middle? It is a 22 EUV.

·
Administrator
5,261 Posts
Thanks. What is "enhanced" setting for the dashboard? The one behind the wheel or the screen itself in the middle? It is a 22 EUV.
Page 83-84 of 2022 EUV owners manual:
Font Parallel Rectangle Circle Number
Font Number Document

While the manual doesn't spell out limited regen, it has always been above 90% where regen is limited, and a white line will appear between the kW gauge and Regen icon on the right side of the DIC. In 2017 - 2018 models, they didn't have a Target Charge Level setting, instead there was a Hilltop Reserve charge limit that would stop charging around 90% so you would have full regen after charging.

·
Registered
22 Posts
interesting. I am less than a couple weeks in to my 22 EUV and have OPD enabled. When I leave the house in the morning, at 100% charge, I do not experience issues with OPD, I have a couple speed bumps and several stop signs initially 20moph but then going up to 35mph. OPD works just fine. These are all 'planned' stops.
I have experienced that OPD does not slow down fast enough when eg a traffic light turns red in relative short distance, which seems normal behavior to me.

when the charging says "complete" is the battery indeed at 100% capacity? or is there "wiggle" room?

·
Registered
3,099 Posts
It's all about the state of charge (SOC) of your battery. When you are full, don't use one pedal braking, it's useless. The regenerated "electrons" have nowhere to go, duh !
There were times, you say, you had the battery full but this behavior didn't happen. Yes, it's very possible, because you have a 2% of "play". Sometimes the battery is full @ 100%, sometimes @ 98%.

·
Registered
354 Posts
It's all about the state of charge (SOC) of your battery. When you are full, don't use one pedal braking, it's useless. The regenerated "electrons" have nowhere to go, duh !
There were times, you say, you had the battery full but this behavior didn't happen. Yes, it's very possible, because you have a 2% of "play". Sometimes the battery is full @ 100%, sometimes @ 98%.
This, and also, I have noticed some screwy things with my car that also can interfere w one-pedal. It does not act the same when your seatbelt is not engaged (also confirmed by a friend's bolt). From what I remember, rate of deceleration was similar, but it did not come to a full stop. One time on a drive it was also acting similar, to the point that I undid and re-fastened my seatbelt several times, to no avail. When I got home, my daughter's rear door was very close to, but not quite fully, closed. Never bothered to try to replicate that to be sure if that was the issue.

·
Registered
Volt, Polestar 2, R1T, Livewire One
1,301 Posts
interesting. I am less than a couple weeks in to my 22 EUV and have OPD enabled. When I leave the house in the morning, at 100% charge, I do not experience issues with OPD, I have a couple speed bumps and several stop signs initially 20moph but then going up to 35mph. OPD works just fine. These are all 'planned' stops.
I have experienced that OPD does not slow down fast enough when eg a traffic light turns red in relative short distance, which seems normal behavior to me.

when the charging says "complete" is the battery indeed at 100% capacity? or is there "wiggle" room?
25/35 mph stops doesn't need to put much energy back into the battery. My 50 mph stops downhill a mile from my house would always mean I'm using the brake pedal in my Bolt when it was charged to 100% or I hadn't preconditioned the vehicle in the winter mornings at 90%.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts