Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes it comes to a complete stop, other times drops down to two mph. Am I doing something wrong, or can this be fixed?

·
Registered
739 Posts
Hit the paddle

Hmmm.... sometimes. Yep, that might be it. Thanks
The regen is set up so that you come to a stop in "normal" driving, which might not be your normal. So, if you drive a little more aggressively, the regen will not slow you down to a full stop. You sort of have to be in tune with the car. The backup is the regen paddle at the back of the steering wheel. If you are going a little too fast for the normal regen to bring you to a halt, then pull the paddle. That usually does it for me. However, if you almost miss a turn, or something like that, even the paddle may not be enough, and you will have to steer fast around a corner, or hit the friction brakes.

·
Registered
392 Posts
The regen is set up so that you come to a stop in "normal" driving, which might not be your normal. So, if you drive a little more aggressively, the regen will not slow you down to a full stop. You sort of have to be in tune with the car. The backup is the regen paddle at the back of the steering wheel. If you are going a little too fast for the normal regen to bring you to a halt, then pull the paddle. That usually does it for me. However, if you almost miss a turn, or something like that, even the paddle may not be enough, and you will have to steer fast around a corner, or hit the friction brakes.
NOPE that wont do it. One pedal driving only stops the car when you have your seatbelt on. With is off it slows down to something like 1mph, a slow roll, paddle or no paddle.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
NOPE that wont do it. One pedal driving only stops the car when you have your seatbelt on. With is off it slows down to something like 1mph, a slow roll, paddle or no paddle.
Yes, and it scares me every time it happens. Because my only scenario where I take my seat belt off is when I pick up my mail and don't put my seat belt back on for the long 15 mph dirt road drive back to my house. Then pull into my garage and panic as the car is heading for my garage wall. So I'm very much aware of this.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I thought you were joking when you talked about the seatbelt being off. I really think this is not the case. I remember that on the private dirt roads around our house I often drive without my seatbelt. I never noticed any difference in the operation of regen without the seatbelt. The only difference is if you don't use hilltop reserve, in which case the regen is affected.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Speaking of seatbelt...what a pleasure that when one undoes it the beeping last a very short period. On a Toyota SUV I have it goes on for a full 2 mins. before stopping. I often undo seatbelt when approaching home on slow roads, etc.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
The regen is set up so that you come to a stop in "normal" driving, which might not be your normal. So, if you drive a little more aggressively, the regen will not slow you down to a full stop.
The regen will slow you down to a complete stop no matter how aggressively you drive - but as in all such situations if you fail to initiate braking soon enough then obviously you may not be able to come to a stop within the distance that's available.

·
Registered
739 Posts
The regen will slow you down to a complete stop no matter how aggressively you drive - but as in all such situations if you fail to initiate braking soon enough then obviously you may not be able to come to a stop within the distance that's available.
These are all distinctions without a difference so its not worth extending the discussion.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I thought you were joking when you talked about the seatbelt being off. I really think this is not the case. I remember that on the private dirt roads around our house I often drive without my seatbelt. I never noticed any difference in the operation of regen without the seatbelt. The only difference is if you don't use hilltop reserve, in which case the regen is affected.
Regen works just fine with seatbelt off, its just the vehicle wont come to a complete stop in one pedal driving. Paddle only doubles the decerlration in one pedal driving. Most likely a programmed safety issue.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Regen works just fine with seatbelt off, its just the vehicle wont come to a complete stop in one pedal driving. Paddle only doubles the decerlration in one pedal driving. Most likely a programmed safety issue.
Yeah, I can see getting out of a parked vehicle in "L" with kids or pets in the car would be a recipe for disaster if it didn't creep once the seat belt was removed to remind the driver "hey you're still in gear bud!" Probably why they do the auto park behavior with the door opening as well, it's good thinking.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I can always come to a complete stop with one pedal driving. Its not an issue. I virtually never use the friction brake. Its a matter of timing. The only wrinkle is if you are on a steep downhill, then it might roll more than you want, but even that's debatable, depending on how you drive.

·
Registered
739 Posts
This is just such a strange statement. I have driven nearly 8000 miles in my Bolt EV and never found this behavior. I can always bring it to a full stop with just one pedal driving, no friction brakes, seatbelt or no seatbelt. Nevertheless, I will do this experiment to see if I can detect what you are talking about. I am out of town, driving a stupid ICE machine right now, so I will have to report back later.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Are you in 'L' and not 'D' for sure?....I only get a full stop in 'L' ...however I had a few rare instances when the car still wants to move

GM video talked about stopping all the way to a 7% grade

·
Registered
739 Posts
"L" is for one pedal driving. "D" is for ICE driving

Are you in 'L' and not 'D' for sure?....I only get a full stop in 'L' ...however I had a few rare instances when the car still wants to move

GM video talked about stopping all the way to a 7% grade
i only ever use "L". "D" is a synthetic mode invented by GM to make the car feel like an ICE car. You have to use the friction brakes in "D".

·
Registered
368 Posts
This is just such a strange statement. I have driven nearly 8000 miles in my Bolt EV and never found this behavior. I can always bring it to a full stop with just one pedal driving, no friction brakes, seatbelt or no seatbelt. Nevertheless, I will do this experiment to see if I can detect what you are talking about. I am out of town, driving a stupid ICE machine right now, so I will have to report back later.
Strange, yet true - it will not stop if the driver's seatbelt is unfastened.

It's a stupid feature, but the car is in fact designed that way.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
i only ever use "L". "D" is a synthetic mode invented by GM to make the car feel like an ICE car. You have to use the friction brakes in "D".
Both “L” and “D” modes are “synthetic” modes, the product of sophisticated software and hardware technologies. In today’s cars every manufacturer uses electronics to control accelerator inputs and braking inputs, and all are tuned to provide the particular driver feedback targeted by the designers.

I prefer “D” mode for highway driving, as it allows for a more familiar coasting behavior when I let off on the accelerator. I’m glad that GM provides a choice of drive modes, as I find both useful depending on driving conditions, and on my personal preferences.

Also, applying the brakes in “D” mode does utilize regeneration, especially if lightly braking.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Is that thing that you press on the floor to make the car go a peddle or a pedal?

ped·dle
verb
try to sell (something, especially small goods) by going from house to house or place to place.
"he peddled art and printing materials around the country"

ped·al
noun
1. each of a pair of foot-operated levers used for powering a bicycle or other vehicle propelled by the legs.
2. a foot-operated throttle, brake, or clutch control in a motor vehicle.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts