Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's +1 degree F right now, and predicted to go -6 and where I'm at I suspect it'll get -10 F overnight. I received this email moments ago:
"Weather forecast predicts temperatures cold enough to immobilize your vehicle. As a precaution, always keep your vehicle plugged-in when not being driven."

I've attached an image of the email exactly as it was received below. I am fully aware of what the impact of cold weather is on this car. This is my 2nd full winter with it. I have driven the car in -24F weather. Just so you know, you will get about 95 miles of range in that weather and you WILL freeze in the cabin, the heater just laughs at you and sends you luke warm air .... and yes, I was thankful for that luke warm air.
I wanted to let others see the garbage OnStar is sending. I do appreciate that in 'Merica there are a lot of idiots and EV ownership doesn't exclude that class. Anyone with an EV, well, you should understand the impact of cold weather. But enough about that. My complaint that I wanted to share is that this email is all about doom and gloom and lacks explanation or true context. It is not what should be sent out, well, not like this anyway. The average Gripper would read this and understandably be frightened.

And yes, of course the car should be plugged in when living in this climate. The note should explain under what circumstances the immobilization will/could/might occur.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Your thoughts and perceptions regarding elderly are disgusting, as is your neighborhood derogatory term "gripper", which is demeaning. Tired of seeing it. Give us a little credit.

·
Registered
343 Posts
it has to get to be about 0F or lower for 24hrs or longer between driving and/or plugging in to totally immobilize you’re Bolt (I’m sorta guessing).

The longest and lowest I’ve ever parked mine without being plugged in is about 10 hrs at zero F. I had zero regen when I fired it up, and the power was limited by about 30-40%.

When this happens, a line appears on the dash (if you’re using the detailed DIC view) that shows the limit of the forward power or regen, depending on how cold that battery is.

It will do some self-warming of the pack (conditioning) while parked and you will see that on the energy screen. The moment you preheat or start the car, it will start running the battery heater on full because it knows you are now going to drive it.

The note is simplified for the dumbest of owners. No, you will never see any more details. Too many dumb people as more questions when you give them more information.

It’s only going to get down to 5F (-15C) where I am tonight. I’m not concerned. Yes, I’m plugged in.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I'd like to see a screen shot of the dash on a sub-zero day.

I assume the grey line for Regen reduced is the same as when you take off driving with a 100% charge?

Does the GOM go down automatically in the car based on temperature? Or do you have to drive a while and the car has to learn you are only getting 1.8 miles per kWh ?

·
Registered
343 Posts
I'd like to see a screen shot of the dash on a sub-zero day.

I assume the grey line for Regen reduced is the same as when you take off driving with a 100% charge?
Yes, it is. You end up with on top when it gets really cold.

Does the GOM go down automatically in the car based on temperature? Or do you have to drive a while and the car has to learn you are only getting 1.8 miles per kWh ?
I do not believe so (first part). And yes (second part). Most likely.

Since it is updated live based on driving habits and effiency, it simply leans yellow And goes down faster. As the pack warms up, it will recover, but in the end, you likely won’t get the range it said when you first started the drive.

‘So, if the GOM says 100 miles, and it is super-ass-cold, don’t expect to get 100 miles, even if you drive conservatively. The pack heater and HVAC heater will eat that range faster as you drive, even if you drive long enough to warm it up above any measurable driving limitations.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Ah.. in SF bay area my car was never below freezing. I've never seen the battery heater come on. I've only seen the cooling come on while attached to DCFC on a hot day.

That "battery conditioning" graph never moved off 0 % in 3 years.

I forget the battery uses power to heat itself. Isn't that a form of cannibalism?

·
Registered
743 Posts
Ah.. in SF bay area my car was never below freezing. I've never seen the battery heater come on. I've only seen the cooling come on while attached to DCFC on a hot day.

That "battery conditioning" graph never moved off 0 % in 3 years.

I forget the battery uses power to heat itself. Isn't that a form of cannibalism?
It is a form of survival, stay warm or freeze in place. If it was autonomous it would drive itself to Florida

·
Registered
343 Posts
Well, I thought I was going to get a dash pic of the limited regen line being high up, but it was too sunny and it got to 20F and the car was not limited at all. It did, however, do about 0.60khr of conditioning throughout the day. It got to 0.91 by the time I got home (15 miles).

·
Registered
745 Posts
First off, to the OP... some people who short trip the car only plug in once a week or less often, keeping their battery between 40% and 70%. In that situation the message you received would be somewhere between "useful" and "a god send". Just because that is not your use case (or mine) doesn't mean it is a bad message for Chevy to send out.

Your thoughts and perceptions regarding elderly are disgusting, as is your neighborhood derogatory term "gripper", which is demeaning. Tired of seeing it. Give us a little credit.
What gets me about this is that young people insult old people in the belief that they will never grow old themselves. Also, the idea that wisdom doesn't exist is a sad commentary on modern society.

Personally I am a Millennial's worst nightmare. I am a boomer by generation and upbringing (7th child of a WWII veteran) but a Gen Xer by age. In other words, I am a boomer in outlook that grew up knowing more about technology and how stuff actually works than your typical Millennial.

So sad. The only way to avoid getting old is to die young... not a good alternative.

Keith

·
Registered
485 Posts
Here's a real nightmare: Chevy starts using Onstar to broadcast commercials to you while driving... and you get to pay for it...

·
Registered
671 Posts
Super -ass-cold here, 9 when I got home from work at 11:35pm.
While it IS plugged in, only because I was down to 1/4 tank, I would have just preconditioned and took off ;)

EV's-Drive it like you stole it and don't look back

·
Registered
151 Posts
.... and yes, I was thankful for that luke warm air.
Do the resistor seat upgrade. Best mod I have done to my Bolt. Seats will get "uncomfortably hot" on high after 10-20 minutes, but just right when it is very cold out....

·
Registered
745 Posts
Do the resistor seat upgrade. Best mod I have done to my Bolt. Seats will get "uncomfortably hot" on high after 10-20 minutes, but just right when it is very cold out....
I may do this just so "medium" is as warm as "high" used to be...

Currently, I will be driving along perfectly comfortable with the seat heaters on high, and then I start to feel cooler and look down to find the car has decided that I don't "really" want the seat heaters on high even though that is what I selected... No, they are not in Automatic.

So, if I do the resister mod, and put them on medium and they actually stay there that would make my day!

Keith

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
First off, to the OP... some people who short trip the car only plug in once a week or less often, keeping their battery between 40% and 70%. In that situation the message you received would be somewhere between "useful" and "a god send". Just because that is not your use case (or mine) doesn't mean it is a bad message for Chevy to send out.
I don't disagree that the message is a good message to send. And clearly they wouldn't send it if there wasn't sound logic/reason behind it. For those that may have forgotten to plug in, it in itself is a reminder to do so. My complaint is it could use more substance. There's not a lot of documentation that I am aware of, that outlines the circumstances or what they fully mean with the term 'immobilize your vehicle' I think the message should include more 'substance' because I'm worried that someone is going to make the horrible assumption that their car will strand them in the cold or not move at all.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts