Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I guess the app won't show me battery level or tire pressures
since I'm on the basic OnStar plan (didn't renew after the 3 month trial.)
I get the "Invalid user input. Please try again. (105)" message.
I tried OnStar chat to determine if this was the case because I'd heard somewhere
that with an electric car, you got that service on the basic plan. Chat seems to
basically be a pathway to the phone-in help desk, where they try to get
you to buy a plan. This has happened to me twice.
So... I thought I'd at least price the cheapest OnStar plan.
Can anyone explain to me why the protection plan costs $149.90 for a year
and $359.00 for 2 years? Wouldn't you think 2 years would cost $299.80 or less?

·
Registered
298 Posts
The my chevy app works fine for me (on iPhone) and I have only basic on star. It is very slow. I can precondition, get TPM values, get text when charging is complete etc. I do have a data plan though. It would be really nice if GM made clear what is supposed to work when an with what service contracts.

Personally, I think the data plan is more useful than on and it's cheaper. You might want to try it for a month to see if it works out.

Ron

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I have the data plan and am happy with it.
I can pre-warm the car, and I do get charging messages.
Maybe I'll try another call to Onstar. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had the same issue. I had to uninstall the mychevy app completely and reinstall it. Once I did that everything was working again.
Thanks for the suggestion, but I've tried that a couple of times, including uninstalling the mychevy app and downloading the OnStar app. Same thing. Back to mychevy now and it's the same. :(

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess I'll try calling OnStar again and deal with those knuckleheads again.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Good luck. I had the same issue near the end of my 3-month trial. Ultimately, GM states that with the Bolt, OnStar Basic will not be enough for the mobile app to retrieve vehicle info (charge, psi, miles traveled) even though from the my.chevrolet.com site you can (GM Owner's Center Rep states the website utilizes a different method to retrieve info that the mobile app cannot do). See this thread for more info.

Weird thing is, when I had my 2017 Volt, I had access to all vehicle info throughout the 14 months I had it (nearly all of it with OnStar Basic). I started a thread on gm-volt.com asking other Gen 2 Volt owners what happened after they recently converted to OnStar Basic. They still had vehicle info capability.

I let GM know my disappointment and they said they'd pass it onto their engineers.

·
Registered
724 Posts
My subscription ended and I can still get charge rate, precondition etc on my cheapo Samsung phone.

I just want Onstar to STOP CALLING ME TO SING UP ON A PLAN ! I told them last time to take my number off but they have called 2 times after that

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
My subscription ended and I can still get charge rate, precondition etc on my cheapo Samsung phone.

I just want Onstar to STOP CALLING ME TO SING UP ON A PLAN ! I told them last time to take my number off but they have called 2 times after that
Really? You don't have another data plan or anything? I noticed some Bolt owners with OnStar Basic but with a data plan do retain access to vehicle info via the mobile app.

Also, they never stop calling. Even a year later they still called me and sent me adverts in the mail. The frequency reduced, but still maybe one a month they'd call.

·
Registered
724 Posts
No other data plan or anything. The app is slow, but I usually only use it to start the car in the morning so I don't have to go down stairs and start it with the FOB.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
See, that's what I was worried about. GM is just inconsistently applying this rule to customers. So now we have the conundrum: is your experience the official rule or is mine? If yours is, that I want my functionality restored. If mine is, I don't want to bring cost someone else their access.

I'll wait until my two months are over. Who knows, maybe this 2-month gift of OnStar Guidance will expire but leave me with vehicle info functionality while on OnStar Basic.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Do the people that still have functionality have their wifi connected as well? I would think that that would allow the app to update. I can't test it because I'm still on the basic plan. The app is definitely a mess - up until I checked it today the app wouldn't even work without keypass. Now it magically works but just recommends I set up keypass.

·
Registered
247 Posts
So I guess the app won't show me battery level or tire pressures
since I'm on the basic OnStar plan (didn't renew after the 3 month trial.)
I get the "Invalid user input. Please try again. (105)" message.
I tried OnStar chat to determine if this was the case because I'd heard somewhere
that with an electric car, you got that service on the basic plan. Chat seems to
basically be a pathway to the phone-in help desk, where they try to get
you to buy a plan. This has happened to me twice.
So... I thought I'd at least price the cheapest OnStar plan.
Can anyone explain to me why the protection plan costs $149.90 for a year
and $359.00 for 2 years? Wouldn't you think 2 years would cost $299.80 or less?
I can comment on the app: do NOT download the OnStar app because they will be discontinuing it. I got that information directly from the OnStar Customer Service. The only app you should have the the My Chevrolet app. Then you'd have to go online to the my Chevrolet page and link your OnStar acct to your bolt EV - and you should see the information once you restart the app (tires pressure etc)

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
I can comment on the app: do NOT download the OnStar app because they will be discontinuing it. I got that information directly from the OnStar Customer Service. The only app you should have the the My Chevrolet app. Then you'd have to go online to the my Chevrolet page and link your OnStar acct to your bolt EV - and you should see the information once you restart the app (tires pressure etc)
RemoteLink still works.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I've used both myChevy and RemoteLink with no success.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
odd, I'm getting tire pressures and %SOC with RemoteLink on the basic plan. Maybe there's a lag between the free trial lapse and loosing telemetry.
I'm guessing you're correct. Mine worked for a few weeks after the trial ended. I can still start/lock/unlock using the app, but no SOC or anything else. I CAN get SOC on the website.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Everything is still working on my App.

Also note, I can not DL the myChevy app, it just gets replaced with the Onstar app. That happened about 1-1/2 months ago when I tried to uninstall Onstar to just get my chevy.

Wifi is still working for some reason, on and off at times.
It will not let me KEEP IT OFF.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts