Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Bolt EV Premier
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, got around today to get the owners info changed to me from original owner.
Called Chevrolet Canada, waited for a bit and finally spoke to a rep.

After explaining things, was advised if near the car, go into car and push 'onstar' button to speak to rep.
No problem, out to car in driveway, power it up and push Onstar.
Got a quick response, very friendly rep.
She took my info, put me on hold to update file.

Came back on and told me I had 5 years on app, not the 1 month she originally thought. Said it was because EV car.
Completed call and came back into house, setup app on my phone, went through all the steps, looked at all the neat features.

Noticed app shows it's only free trial for 30 days.

Back out to car and 'onstar' again.
This time I'm told its only 30 days, not 5 years and get handed off to the 'upsell' guy.
I wanted to know what I get, he starts 'figuring' it out.

The basic app is free but all the other features are disabled in 30 days.
Basic pretty much means 'nothing'.

I was hoping things like using phone to pre-condition, remote lock, etc.
He starts talking about 3GB data plan and navigation.

I have unlimited data on both personal and work cell. Can plug my phone in and use Apple Carplay to navigate.
He tries to explain how much better things would be to continue with features.
Frustrated at this point, asked him to email plan rates to me.
Still nothing in email.

Go through all the hoops to get app and set it up with car, pretty much worthless.
I hate giving out all my info to setup the app and car.

Only good thing is that warranty info is in my name now.

C'mon GM, time to look after customers and not 'nickel and dime' people into the ground.

rant ended....

·
Registered
121 Posts
The big question is: did you give him your credit card or other billing info... that is the point of no return.

·
Registered
8 Posts
...This time I'm told its only 30 days, not 5 years and get handed off to the 'upsell' guy.
C'mon GM, time to look after customers and not 'nickel and dime' people into the ground.
I got the same line this spring when I started getting connection problems with OnStar in my Bolt... Don't give up, call back and tell them to make sure you have the "EV Remote Command" option on your account... Come to think of it, I think this is non transferable and only valid for the first 5 years to the original owner... I agree with you, they should all just "give" it to us (for a reasonable price) on the original invoice and be done with it. I am dead set against paying an extra 20-30-40-50$ a month for "extras".

It's like taking the plane, can they just include the stupid meal and charge us the extra 15$ in the price of the ticket? I hate that when they trick us with these tactics.

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
It's like taking the plane, can they just include the stupid meal and charge us the extra 15$ in the price of the ticket?
I remember those days when the meal was always included. Then lost cost carriers started and gave everyone just peanuts and almost put everyone else out of business.

·
Registered
2019 Bolt EV Premier
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Some of the features I would use but not for extra money.
Even GM roadside assistance (which I supposedly get with the warranty) is something I would not use.
I keep a CAA Premiere account for all my vehicles. that gives me everything I would need

·
Registered
2019 Bolt EV Premier
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
pre-covid airlines complained about costs.
its amazing they didn’t drop the masks from the cabin ceiling and charge by the litre, how much oxygen you suck down during the flight

·
791 Posts
pre-covid airlines complained about costs.
its amazing they didn’t drop the masks from the cabin ceiling and charge by the litre, how much oxygen you suck down during the flight

If you haven’t prepaid to use the frecken steps you’ll have to jump!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
391 Posts
The big question is: did you give him your credit card or other billing info... that is the point of no return.
Not really. You have the option to stop being a "paid" customer at the end of the initial trial period. Then just log in and change your card to an anonymous prepaid card that just happens to have zero balance on it.

·
Registered
17 Bolt LT
30 Posts
The salesperson for my used 17 Bolt tried to get me to push the blue button while going over the car on delivery. I said I had no time and needed to get home. He literally begged me to push the blue button soon. He called two days later to ask if I pushed the button yet. I will not be pushing the blue button. Based on that, I am guessing the sales people get a spiff if you sign up for OnStar.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Well, got around today to get the owners info changed to me from original owner.

After explaining things, was advised if near the car, go into car and push 'onstar' button to speak to rep.
No problem, out to car in driveway, power it up and push Onstar.
Got a quick response, very friendly rep.
She took my info, put me on hold to update file.

Came back on and told me I had 5 years on app, not the 1 month she originally thought. Said it was because EV car.
Completed call and came back into house, setup app on my phone, went through all the steps, looked at all the neat features.

Noticed app shows it's only free trial for 30 days.

Back out to car and 'onstar' again.
This time I'm told its only 30 days, not 5 years and get handed off to the 'upsell' guy.

I was hoping things like using phone to pre-condition, remote lock, etc.
He starts talking about 3GB data plan and navigation.

I have unlimited data on both personal and work cell. Can plug my phone in and use Apple Carplay to navigate.
He tries to explain how much better things would be to continue with features.
Frustrated at this point, asked him to email plan rates to me.
Still nothing in email.

Go through all the hoops to get app and set it up with car, pretty much worthless.
I hate giving out all my info to setup the app and car.

Only good thing is that warranty info is in my name now.

rant ended....
They put a lot of money in to OnStar, and they're working hard to keep it alive as long as they can, but fact is, it's been redundant for going on 10 years now. And as somebody who's sim-swapped the head unit hoping to have a better WiFi hotspot on my own SIM card, I can assure you that the antenna in the car is no better than the one on your phone. At this point, it's just a cell phone glued to the CAN bus of the car, so it can spy on your driving habits and the car's computer. Not like they'd ever use it to issue updates for... the whole battery recall or anything. ..

You're missing nothing. Don't sweat it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I think you can register at my.chevrolet.com, put in your VIN, and see what features are built-in. I think 2019+ model comes with 10yr remote-keyfob access (but if I am wrong then it is 2020+).

·
Registered
121 Posts
I assume/hope that GM is using the OnStar link to acquire a lot of battery performance data from Volts & Bolts to use in engineering their future EVs. I've been assuming that my car uploads performance data on a weekly or monthly basis to the mothership. If it's not, it seems like a wasted opportunity.

·
Registered
2019 Bolt EV Premier
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have no concerns about GM collecting diagnostic data on mechanical systems on the car.

I object to more information than that being collected.
GM or anyone else does not need to know my driving habits. Been a careful driver all my life but the way insurance companies rate people is annoying.

rates based on gender, marital status, credit score, etc. are just offensive.

now GM wants to get in on the action.

I have a Pontiac Montana van which is not connected to anything, still enjoy driving that.
As much as I enjoy the EV experience, too much intrusion and I will be driving old ICE vehicles forever

·
Registered
418 Posts
I have no concerns about GM collecting diagnostic data on mechanical systems on the car.

GM or anyone else does not need to know my driving habits. Been a careful driver all my life but the way insurance companies rate people is annoying.

I have a Pontiac Montana van which is not connected to anything, still enjoy driving that.
As much as I enjoy the EV experience, too much intrusion and I will be driving old ICE vehicles forever
Yeah so I participated in the California road charge program a few years back with the automatic system that plugs in to the OBD2. It was supposed to measure my miles driven within the state borders, which I'm certain that it did with disturbing granularity, since they also started sending email reports of every time I put the pedal down and every time I stopped on the brakes, and where I was driving. This was of course courtesy of whatever bullsghit vendor they were using for the program. Onstar does the same thing, as I'm sure many have noticed, on the web site how you can sign up for the safe driver whatever whatever. There needs to be privacy legislation put in place ASAP. I shouldn't be agreeing to a privacy intrusion simply by driving the car, but I'm sure the fine print says I am somewhere.

I have zero remorse for de-simming my head unit.

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
What about age? As an older, mature driver are you happy paying high rates to subsidize teenage drivers who have an inordinate number of expensive claims? (Litmus test question).

·
791 Posts

Insurance rates attempt to be as fair as possible and are highly regulated. If you happen to fall into higher risk categories, they seem unfair but to cautious, low risk drivers, they still seem excessive. No way to make anyone happy.

Gender and marital status become irrelevant after about 10 years of driving experience (usually using age to simplify). Credit score is a strong predictor of risk at any age, gender, marital status.

To give everyone a flat rate would be a disincentive to cautious drivers. It also takes the sting out of carelessness, resulting in more careless driving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 Bolt EV Premier
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
not in Ontario do the gender or marital status disappear. still highly relevant here.
as far as rates go, when looking in August checked with my insurance company for rate.
once I bought it, called back and company rep I spoke to in August did not save the quote.
New rep went through everything again and new rate quote was about 8% lower.

exact same coverage and using same VIN from car

Suggested to rep I wait a couple more weeks, call in again and get another break

no way to explain that

1 - 20 of 24 Posts