Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm confused about some of the differences between OnStar and KeyPass. I recognize the OnStar service provides a lot (and costs a lot too), but it seems some of its functionality is provided by KeyPass. The only thing I want from either is remote access to vehicle status (charge state, charge completion, charge interruption) and remote starting. If I let my free OnStar service lapse after 3 months can I still do all this via KeyPass? TIA.

·
Banned
350 Posts
You don't need KeyPass at all, unless you have a need to use your cellphone instead of a key. The OnStar basic service for five years includes the keyfob and status functions from a browser, and Remote Start can be done from the key instead of fooling around with an app.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's exactly what I want to do--use my cellphone to get charge status updates, etc., wherever I am. Yes, I use the keyfob for remote starts. OnStar is free for me for only three months apparently. But what would I miss if I didn't pay for OnStar?

·
Registered
1 Posts
The 3 months trial is for the full guidance package. After that, you can convert to the basic 5 years for free. I actually got 6 months free by giving my credit card but plan to opt out when done. For Keypass, you have to be within range of the car for it to work. The functions won't work if you are too far away. They app will tell you if you are connected via Keypass or OnStar.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Be nice to be able to have emergency response called on your behalf by OnStar if you're in a really bad crack-up too. That doesn't happen often, but I guess the call could save your life.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Is there a trick to getting key pass to work? I can't get mine to connect to my phone ...
Don't bother. The only thing Key Pass gets you is automatic unlocking when the registered phone gets near your car. The pairing is broken and doesn't work for some Android phones (like mine), but I don't see any value to it as the remote functions work without it. (Preconditioning, remote lock/unlock, car status, etc.)

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
Is there a trick to getting key pass to work? I can't get mine to connect to my phone ...
Are you having trouble getting keypass configured, or trouble connecting to the car once you have keypass setup?

If you are having trouble connecting once setup is complete, you have to a) be within bluetooth range of the car *and* you must be in the myChevrolet app. It can't be running in the background.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Are you having trouble getting keypass configured, or trouble connecting to the car once you have keypass setup?

If you are having trouble connecting once setup is complete, you have to a) be within bluetooth range of the car *and* you must be in the myChevrolet app. It can't be running in the background.
The setup on Android phones does not work for me (Nexus 6P, Android 7.1.2. The app goes through the setup and claims it was cancelled. Sitting in the car, app open.
Just doesn't work. Fortunately, it doesn't seem to provide any real value, IMHO. (It's not me being unable to drive the phone properly, it's just broken, which is unsurprising given how unstable the Bluetooth stack is on Android.)

·
Registered
100 Posts
The setup on Android phones does not work for me (Nexus 6P, Android 7.1.2. The app goes through the setup and claims it was cancelled. Sitting in the car, app open.
Just doesn't work. Fortunately, it doesn't seem to provide any real value, IMHO. (It's not me being unable to drive the phone properly, it's just broken, which is unsurprising given how unstable the Bluetooth stack is on Android.)
Yes I have always had this problem with Keypass and my 6p also. Would be nice to find a fix, but the app does the same thing except you don't get the lights coming on when you walk up.

But it cancels when you get to the screen to scan (or choose to type in) a code.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I don't see any option for remote start/pre-conditioning on the my.cherolet.com site via browser like the old Myvolt.com website used to offer?

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I don't see any option for remote start/pre-conditioning on the my.cherolet.com site via browser like the old Myvolt.com website used to offer?
Use the app
Unfortunately, the current version of the MyChevrolet APP that includes the 2017 models requires Android 4.0.3 (Ice Cream Sandwich) or higher. My hand-me-down "smart phone" from my kid is running Android 2.3 (Froyo) and is not upgradeable.

I was able to sideload the MyChevrolet app on to it, but now it want's the OnStar RemoteLink app which also requires Android 4.0 or higher, so I'd have to sideload that also.

Guess it's time to upgrade the old phone?

Point is.... too bad they removed remote capabilities from the browser and made them phone only.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Till I replace my old phone... I installed BlueStacks on my Windows desktop to run Android apps from Windows.
I installed the Onstar RemoteLink app from the Play Store and it gives me all the Bolt remote functions as if the app was installed on a phone... but accessible from my work computer :laugh:

·
Registered
95 Posts

I can't get it configured while the app is open and i'm in the car - parked of course

1 - 20 of 25 Posts