Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most of the Onstar functionality is redundant with my phone's capabilities. I would like the functionality of the myChevrolet app to check on charging, check location and remote climate. I presume we don't have to pay for that for some period of time.

Does anyone know what comes for free and for how long?

·
Registered
506 Posts
I think three months. I have a home Charge Point Level 2 charger and it provides all the charging data directly to my iPhone through the Charge Point App. Shows when it charged, what the rate was and when it quit. It knows the local electrical rates and calculates the cost of each charge. The Charge Point device apparently talks to the cloud and it downloads back to the App on the phone. I don't need On Star for that.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The App functions are not worth a monthly charge. I wish the Bolt could connect to the WiFi in my garage instead of a cellular charge.

The Teslas and LEAFs have 4 or more years of free app functionality.

·
Super Moderator
2,561 Posts
We get the Basic Onstar plan free for five years. The link below tells you what that means-

Onstar Basic Plan

For the first three months, we get the top of the line Guidance Plan and here is how it compares-

Onstar plan comparisons

Hope this helps. I personally have driven the last 38 years without any of this. I think I'm OK letting it die. Maybe I'll change my mind once I get my first free three months.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I have my 2017 Bolt EV Premium connecting to my home WiFi no problem - goto car settings and choose "Manage WiFi"…

I also "joined" my Bolt EV to my existing AT&T Family sharing plan - so it shares my monthly data allotment - you can't do it via the App or OnStar website, but you can do it if you call OnStar and request them to work with AT&T to add the car to the AT&T family sharing plan. Additional "data" lines cost $10/month on my AT&T plan, YMMV…

Other options also include adding your phones hotspot wifi to the Bolt's wifi network list - so that when you're in the car the Bolt can use your phone's cellular connection - this has the down side of when you're not in the car the Bolt will have no data connection and you can't remotely connect to it.

I compared the OnStar/AT&T data plans and found them too expensive ($10/month for 1 gig) - joining the car to my family shared data plan for $10/month was a no brainer in my opinion.

so far after 5 days of ownership the car doesn't use that much data - so I'm not concerned about the car blowing out my monthly quota.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I don’t think that Canada is different from the States, in terms of what comes with the Bolt for free. And for how long it stays free:

Onstar: six free months of “Guidance Plan” (includes nav)
4G LTE wifi: 3GB, or 3-mos Onstar data trial
XM radio: 3-month free trial “All Access” pkg
Roadside Assistance: 5 years/ 160 kkm (100 k miles)

Everyone’s needs will be different. For me Apple carplay will kill all future payment outflows associated with any of the above. Not exactly what a former GM chairman had in mind when he envisioned rolling revenue generator based on GM’s advanced satellite communications.

Thought about being upside down in a ditch. But given all the airbags in the Bolt and the fact that mine will try to stay between the ditches of populated roadways. It’s likely I’ll make my own call. Or someone is bound to notice and call 911 in the unlikely event I’m unable to. And I’m assuming that lug of a battery stays put where it’s supposed to be.

I’ve already got more music than I can remember listening to, from ‘60’s to present on my iphone and my good ‘ol walkman. The only other stations of interest on satellite radio are now clogged with analysis of latest Trump tweet or Trump order or challenge against it,etc. Was interesting at first but now it’s just someone else’s problem repeated over and over again. Even BBC is crammed with it. Local AM radio or CBC-FM is just as good if not better.

Navigation isn’t used much when one tends to follow a beaten track to the same places. Then again I’m too cheap to buy a decent data plan so in rare instance of needing nav I just use an app which runs offline for voice & visual map directions. Worst case I have to stop at Tim Hortons or Wendys to pee anyway ( I hereby challenge Bolt designers to figure that one out..) , so I jump onto their wifi and download my directions. Works in Mexico, too.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Does the Basic Plan no longer include vehicle status ? I found this out today chatting with an OnStar rep ..

"I apologize, no, the Basic Plan do not include the vehicle status on the mobile app. You will have to update your services to be able to use that feature."

"with the Basic Plan you are only able to unlock your doors and lock them, and remote start your vehicle (if equipped). Your monthly OnStar Vehicle Diagnostic e-mail report is included."

·
Registered
21 Posts
It looks like my vehicle status (battery charge, tire pressure, etc) stopped updating sometime in the last week. It looks like the website is also missing that info. If that's the case, that really stinks. Checking the battery level is a basic EV feature and one that I think most other manufacturers include.
It's even worse that they turned it off without notice.

·
Registered
185 Posts
update: looks like tonight it starts working again - battery range, tire press and mileage

looks like for EV's those are the vehicle status that comes with Basic Plan.
for regular cars, vehicle status is not part of the Basic Plan.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Does the Basic Plan no longer include vehicle status ? I found this out today chatting with an OnStar rep ..

"I apologize, no, the Basic Plan do not include the vehicle status on the mobile app. You will have to update your services to be able to use that feature."

"with the Basic Plan you are only able to unlock your doors and lock them, and remote start your vehicle (if equipped). Your monthly OnStar Vehicle Diagnostic e-mail report is included."

So they finally figured out a way to make the lowly EV driver feel like they are forced to pay for substandard connection services just to see the charging status. I think it may be time to start looking at other EV options in the market place. My 2016 Volt came with 3 years of full onstar service and I can still check everything as normal. I am so pissed off right now as I am a lifetime GM purchaser and probably will not buy from them again. The basic plan used to come with charging status standard for EV's. The my Chevrolet app says keypass required and I have never been able to get that to link up.

·
Registered
168 Posts
So they finally figured out a way to make the lowly EV driver feel like they are forced to pay for substandard connection services just to see the charging status. I think it may be time to start looking at other EV options in the market place. My 2016 Volt came with 3 years of full onstar service and I can still check everything as normal. I am so pissed off right now as I am a lifetime GM purchaser and probably will not buy from them again. The basic plan used to come with charging status standard for EV's. The my Chevrolet app says keypass required and I have never been able to get that to link up.
Don't get upset just yet - unless GM recently changed their plans - we will have 5 years of service including the vehicle status. OnStar is unstable at the best of times - and though I wasn't able to update it a week ago, it is working again (just double checked). After the 5 years - you will get dropped to the super basic which only includes use of the keyfob features (even then you should still be able to remote start, lock/unlock and horn chirp). This information is coming from my Volt which is now basically 7 years old and came with the 5 year plan.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Yes, despite OnStar's repeated warnings to the contrary. The sun did indeed rise again this morning upon expiration of my 6-month free Onstar bells & whistles plan. I received Onstar`s email advising that I`d now defaulted to the Basic plan.

With the Basic (free 5 yr) plan I confirmed my myChevroletapp`s Preconditioning function still works which is all I really care about. Although it asked for my Onstar PIN which surprised me a bit. No free rides for the guilty I guess.

Learned something: I had left the vehicle with the climate control system off and the fan off. So I thought that Preconditioning wouldn`t activate anything given that those controls were turned off. To my surprise the Bolt was blowing warm air into the cabin (ambient temp was 14C) when in Preconditioning mode. I guess because my temp knob was left at 25C. Interesting. As soon as climbed in and started the car it reverted back to no air movement, same as where I`d left the heater & fan buttons.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I have found the OnStar data plan to be useful, because I use a basic cell phone that connects to the Bolt EV via Bluetooth for phone calls. The car's cellular data capabilities came in useful when I installed a non-cellular iPad mini, with Bad-elf GPS dongle, to do music, navigation etc. I do think that the iPad mini should be able to connect into Apple Carplay, but it doesn't so I am stuck with the iPad mini screen to do everything I need to do. This system works well except for two disadvantages. First its difficult to find a good way of mounting the iPad mini, and second the Bad-Elf GPS has a habit of divesting itself of the GPS satellite signals for significant periods of time, especially after you just started a journey or after a break in the journey. The On-Star navigation system is pretty good too, but I prefer to be able to glance at my iPad mini to see a map. As I do not pay for a smartphone, the car's cellular network capabilities, which are excellent, are not that expensive.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Okay I figured out that if I set up Keypass on my phone and the car it does give you vehicle status even with just the basic plan. I am not as pissed as I was in my previous post but still a little perturbed.
yeah does look like now it shows you status if you setup keypass first (i deleted the app and reinstalled it).
also, the web battery status is back as well on my.chevrolet.com

Attachments

·
Registered
78 Posts
yeah does look like now it shows you status if you setup keypass first (i deleted the app and reinstalled it).
also, the web battery status is back as well on my.chevrolet.com
Mine is still not updating the status correctly. I tried deleting the app, and setting up KeyPass (which took most of my lunch hour to accomplish), but it still shows the wrong data. Looks like another call to OnStar is in my future.

·
Registered
185 Posts
looks like two new app updates today : mychevrolet app, and onstar app .. now after starting the app they both look the same haha... and status still not working ...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts