Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From the day we bought the car, the OnStar WiFi hotspot in the car has never worked. We were supposed to get 3-months or 3GB of free data. I don't see the WiFi hotspot listed, and when I called OnStar to complain, they claimed that my car wasn't equipped with the WiFi hotspot feature, which I know isn't true, and the OnStar person admitted that other Bolt's do have the WiFi hotspot feature working.

The only WiFi that does work in the car is to connect to my home's network so that I can check for software updates. So some WiFi module obviously works.

They've opened a trouble ticket to diagnose things, but I fear another trip to the dealer is in store for me.

I don't need to use the data it would provide as I have plenty of data via my iPhone which I can turn into a hotspot, but it's annoying to have a feature that isn't working as it should be. Even if that is a feature I won't use much, or at all.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Do the WiFi hotspot settings show up in your myChevrolet app? That was the method that I used to enable and disable the hotspot as well as update the name and security key.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I just saw this on a website from another thread dealing with known issues for Bolt EV:

EQUIPMENT : ELECTRICAL
Number
NHTSA Item Number
16NA239
Date
2016-10-14
Summary
This technical bulletin provides a procedure to enable the 4g lte wifi on newly delivered vehicles for some vehicles that were not shipped with the feature not enabled.

https://www.vehiclehistory.com/vehicle-service-bulletins/chevrolet/bolt-ev/2017

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do the WiFi hotspot settings show up in your myChevrolet app? That was the method that I used to enable and disable the hotspot as well as update the name and security key.
It wasn't showing up last night, or when I called in on Monday. Tonight, it's now showing up in the app. Looks like the right person at OnStar finally picked up the trouble ticket and got things working.

I haven't checked the car yet, but I have no reason to suspect that it won't work now. Now I just need to get OnStar to turn on the free trial.

Supposedly I can add it as an additional device to my existing AT&T Mobile Share plan, but not sure how much it will cost. Gotta be cheaper than what OnStar wants, that's for sure.

·
Super Moderator
2,067 Posts
It wasn't showing up last night, or when I called in on Monday. Tonight, it's now showing up in the app. Looks like the right person at OnStar finally picked up the trouble ticket and got things working.

I haven't checked the car yet, but I have no reason to suspect that it won't work now. Now I just need to get OnStar to turn on the free trial.

Supposedly I can add it as an additional device to my existing AT&T Mobile Share plan, but not sure how much it will cost. Gotta be cheaper than what OnStar wants, that's for sure.
Onstar is currently offering unlimited 4G LTE for $20/month ("unlimited" being ~22 GB before they may throttle you). That's actually a pretty good deal if you spend a lot of time in the car. Not sure how that stacks up with ATT subscriber offerings though.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I was told I could add the car to my existing ATT mobile share plan for $10, but depending on the mobile share plan you are signed up for I believe it may be $20 for some others.

I was told that OnStar uses ATT for it's service, so no matter what you pay, you are essentially getting the same quality of service.

I personally opted to have my mobile hotspot trial lapse. I didn't see any advantage to having my car be a hotspot itself. If I need to connect another device, my cell phone can be easily enabled as a hotspot.

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was told I could add the car to my existing ATT mobile share plan for $10, but depending on the mobile share plan you are signed up for I believe it may be $20 for some others.

I was told that OnStar uses ATT for it's service, so no matter what you pay, you are essentially getting the same quality of service.

I personally opted to have my mobile hotspot trial lapse. I didn't see any advantage to having my car be a hotspot itself. If I need to connect another device, my cell phone can be easily enabled as a hotspot.
Yeah, that's kind of the attitude I'm taking as well. The likelihood of me needing the car to act as a hotspot as opposed to the phone or iPad is pretty remote. I'm stuck with the same coverage limitations, and I doubt the reception is that much better, especially when hurtling down the highway.

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Onstar is currently offering unlimited 4G LTE for $20/month ("unlimited" being ~22 GB before they may throttle you). That's actually a pretty good deal if you spend a lot of time in the car. Not sure how that stacks up with ATT subscriber offerings though.
I'm already on a Mobile Share plan with 30GB of data. To add the car would be $10 a month. We have 6 phones (me, wife, 2 adult kids, spouse of one kid, brother-in-law) and 4 iPads, so I'd have to drop a device. It's cheaper to keep the existing plan we have than switch to a new unlimited plan. Even the newer plans with specific caps (5GB, 10GB, 25GB, etc) are more expensive for less data than what we have. Go figure...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts